My 2019 otc Colorado season

smbolan

FNG
What a rollarcoaster this year. I went out with the idea of 14 days. So I’m meeting my hunting partner out there, we’ve been going together since ‘08.and I’m bringing my best friend for his first elk hunt. So it was going to be a great time no matter what happened.
Before I get there my partner connected with 5x5. And had it packed out. So that was great for us.
a4a76abdd6faae6ab2ed72834588d623.jpg

He somehow managed to call him in and killed by himself. So awesome deal for Brad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

smbolan

FNG
So Drew and I get to camp on a Thursday afternoon. Brad was headed to a different unit to hunt a mule deer. Friday morning I had a plan to take Drew to a easy walk spot I know of. Wanna slow break in a newbie. Sure enough there are elk in there. Shortly after daybreak, I call a beauty he says. 18 yd shot... somehow he gets away. Arrow in him. Looked for rest of that day, and part of the next. Couldn’t turn him up. We were dejected. He said bone white horns and beautiful fronts. This area we hunt is very much pressured. So as we always say, we go out for 1 opportunity a year, so make the most of it. This turns out to be true year to year. Unfortunately this was Drew’s opportunity...

OP
S

smbolan

FNG
That was Friday morning all that took place. Then for a couple days it was quiet for us, Brad came back to camp so the 3 of us said let’s go to 1 of our deeper spots. Thursday was the day. We started at the trail head around 3:30 in the morning. It’s 7 miles to get to our spot. We get in to the area around 8. Waited a while to listen. After about half hour we throw out a bugle to see if anyone is around. Sure enough 2 fire back. 1 on the left. 1 on the right. We get setup to see what happens. The one on the left seemed closer and a bit more fired up. So we try to make a play on him and hour later he slows down or walks away or who knows. Just went quiet on us. For all we know he snuck in and busted us. We were moving around a bit also. Either way it went quiet on that side. But the one on the right was and would bugle every so often. So after the left side didn’t work, all attention was on the right side now. We gathered back up to figure out a play on this bull. We move closer to him and make a set. He bugles a few times back but seemed like he was moving away. Then he’d fire back as if he was closer. This goes on for about 45 minutes. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore and I start headed straight for him. Brad and Drew pick up on what I’m doing and we start sneaking in.

OP
S

smbolan

FNG
So get in as close as I dare and set up. Throw out a challenge and wait. He bugles back. A little further than I wanted. But we could adjust. Wind was in our favor but time wasn’t. In this area we’ve noticed they quiet down later in the morning. And we were getting towards that time. So we felt a little panic. In hindsight maybe we should have waited it out til afternoon. That’s not the way brad and I hunt. We are super aggressive and push all day everyday to make things happen. This morning was no different. We charge straight at him. We suspected he had a herd that was why he wasn’t running towards us. So we close the gap and I think we are within 150 yards. Throw out a challenge and just listened. 5 minutes later and still quiet. Brad and I figured we busted the situation. Gather up and start headed to different area. 2 steps later I break a branch and this bull fired back. 100 yds away. He’s on about the same level as us, wind is going up, I hit panic button hard. I walk his way but up hill, figuring he’s gonna try and get our wind. I make it about 50 yards over and up. And I’m stuck, in between blow downs and a small chute going down. I can’t move anymore. Nor dare to. I motion to brad to come to me. Not sure why... he is my caller.. Drew was setup by were i took off from. Anyhow, about the time brad gets to me I look below our position and see some cows sneaking out from behind some rock. Range them quick. Just then the bull is behind the cows. I rip my bow back brad calls and he stops broadside. I settle my pin and release. Hit, but I’m upset with myself. Not the best. We hear running, lots of crashing then nothing... I turn to brad and said the only way we get him is if I hit the main artery in the back. He thought I missed.! We meet with drew and he said the bull was dead just below us. I don’t believe him of course cause I’m replaying everything in my mind and the more I think about the more tricks my mind is playing with me.!!

OP
S

smbolan

FNG
So we gathered up things and go down to point of impact. Within 10 feet. Blood trail 8 ft wide. That’s when I knew he was smoked. 200 yards later, there is my trophy. My best bull to date, with my 2 best friends with me. The day was awesome. Brought his teeth home to have him aged. Turns out he was 8.5 years old. Kinda crazy for the area we are in. It is very high pressure. I taped him out at 318”. He made us work though. Brutal 7 miles pack out. Took 2 days to get him out. We were tired men when we got done.
47acadd9ea7b4188bfd8f48dbc2b258e.jpg
6cb33f4b85d2209c5fd15f66262d2ccb.jpg

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Nice bull! Thanks for sharing your story, awesome time with awesome friends doesn’t get any better than that.. love the palmation on his right beam

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP