My 2020 CO Elk and WY Antelope Recap

NV HUNTER

WKR
Question???
Were you shooting off of your pack or is that a shooting bag?

love the pictures!
I really enjoy seeing other people’s hunts!

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Question???
Were you shooting off of your pack or is that a shooting bag?

love the pictures!
I really enjoy seeing other people’s hunts!
Lightweight shooting bag - looks a lot bigger than it is heavy, and it has a convenient plastic carabiner on it to attach to your belt.

Left my pack at the truck for the stalk and went with what was in my pockets and bino harness as it was getting late and I knew I couldn't go too far.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
There are some 416 stainless bent lock brackets that go under the lid / side tide downs that you can buy off ebay or amazon. From there, they are locked to a security chain that winds its way through the hitch carrier and locks off to the tow hitch. Additionally, I have some locking SUP / Kayak tie downs that have steel cables inside the webbing that fasten coolers to the hitch carrier.

Not perfect, and I did leave coolers inside the truck for part of the hunt, but the goal is make it hard enough to steal that people don't bother. At the end of the day - more secure than inside a topper, but the disadvantage being that they're in plain sight.
Thanks.

I've used those bent brackets before, but always locked up inside the camper Using a cable to the bed tiedown. I've worried that someone would need to break in to the back just to see that the cooler is locked up. By then , some might think "in for a penny" and make more effort. I've not had any problems yet, thankfully.

If the coolers are on the outside, sure they would draw attention. But they will be clearly and obviously locked down. Maybe enough to discourage theft. And no need to break the glass on my camper. Plus I'd get more space in the camper. Something to think about for the off season.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks.

I've used those bent brackets before, but always locked up inside the camper Using a cable to the bed tiedown. I've worried that someone would need to break in to the back just to see that the cooler is locked up. By then , some might think "in for a penny" and make more effort. I've not had any problems yet, thankfully.

If the coolers are on the outside, sure they would draw attention. But they will be clearly and obviously locked down. Maybe enough to discourage theft. And no need to break the glass on my camper. Plus I'd get more space in the camper. Something to think about for the off season.

Space is definitely at a premium with my setup. Missing my F150, especially when I do a trip like this. I like the hitch carrier, but this trip has me looking at those Off-road capable teardrops.

PredatorX

WKR
...and they say you shouldn't tote the rifle around locked and loaded. That argument still cracks me up.

You hunt whitetails long enough and you learn to jump shoot them pretty quickly. I've killed many with just a split second chance to shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
...and they say you shouldn't tote the rifle around locked and loaded. That argument still cracks me up.

You hunt whitetails long enough and you learn to jump shoot them pretty quickly. I've killed many with just a split second chance to shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Exactly. If the rifle didn't have one in the chamber, or if the rifle wasn't in my hand, this Elk lives to see another day. (Carrying a 10# WM wasn't fun that way - have another thread going bout doing some reloading for my Kimber .308)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. Congratulations on a very successful trip considering how dry Colorado has been. Anytime you can bring meat home with you is a feeling of reward for all the planning and hard work put into a trip like this....especially doing it solo from the east coast. Kudos to you for mental toughness - driving 3000+ miles round trip and hunting solo for 2 weeks. My hat is off to you.....much respect. The pictures add a nice touch to the story...like the composition of the road and sky picture!

Last edited:
OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks everyone.

Took me 10 days from when I killed the Elk, but anyone wondering my process I let the meat hang out the first night in Colorado, and then the whole game bag goes directly in a contractor bag and sealed, double wrap and seal again, and then gets thrown in the bottom of one of my coolers and completely covered with ice. Once I'm home, I pull a bag out at a time, clean it up, dry it out in the fridge, cut, seal and freeze. Would love a nice walk-in or place to hang the meat, but just don't have room. Don't be afraid of the wet aging as long as you keep it buried in ice.

Whitetail season has commenced. Not shooting small bucks or does with the full freezer, but a Coyote got too close yesterday and I can always use the practice making a tougher bow shot from my saddle.
7316788771daf6f7694944a8a402afa7.jpg

0c140071c96223a4f623bd2d0c0e4d57.jpg

bcaaed891d8d5fc81ca6e8b47db31439.jpg
f79773f64111960b049ca133ae94c1ff.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was walking very slowly, still hunting with rifle in hand and basically jumped the entire herd as I came over a small rise with them on the other side slightly below me. All the cows jumped up, started looking real nervous and getting ready to bolt when I saw the bull as I was scanning the timber. The cows started running, and the bull followed.
That describes a lot of my past rifle hunting experiences for elk.......probably one reason why I switched to bowhunting them. It gets even more interesting when you only see an antler tip and then you have to figure out a way to maneuver for a shot while walking on what sounds like potato chips. Sounds like you had a great season this year.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
That describes a lot of my past rifle hunting experiences for elk.......probably one reason why I switched to bowhunting them. It gets even more interesting when you only see an antler tip and then you have to figure out a way to maneuver for a shot while walking on what sounds like potato chips. Sounds like you had a great season this year.
Definitely my best season so far.... Although, I might have traded it for the tags you had ;)

Getting ready to go waterfowl hunting this weekend, but here's how opening day of New Hampshire's muzzleloader season went. 214# Dressed 9 pt.

6c09838b9854579a74363508d5b16d66.jpg

811d953423ef24e067686664819a3239.jpg

304aa60c831ff85f409bd465873b47ec.jpg

672cc42096b2484ed24ef851cf7ecc3f.jpg

5b77d6d07751950d47c68f5bd3dc1331.jpg

a3290d906cf7217f98ac769f0dd3f094.jpg