My 2020 September Elk Hunting Gear List *updated after recomendations

OP
H

hntr

FNG
It looks like you've got a great gear list already. Lots of great insight from folks already. I'll be borrowing from this for my gear list, albeit with some alterations for a late October rifle hunt. Good luck!
Thanks! Good luck to you too!

On the cookware as mentioned above, not taking the whole thing. Just the essentials. I just bought it bc It had the pot/utensils/stand all in one. We are doing a Was just a good price. I'm gonna dump the wrangler pants. Me and two other guys are doing a 7 day backpack hunt. Last full week of September. Haven't got it all in to weigh yet. Everything I chose was the lightest/best quality I could afford for the budget.
Depending where you're at there's potential for snow and shit weather late September into October.

If I could change only one thing I'd upgrade the bag to a 0°. It could be nice weather the whole time. If it's not at least you can look forward to being warm in your bag.

Enjoy! It sounds like it'll be an adventure!

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Like boots and calls, gear lists are very intimate to the user. For the sake of argument, I'll assume you're doing this in Colorado. I'm not an expert in backpacking or hunting by all means but I have done a few backpack trips for hunting now so take it with a grain if salt...go as light as possible, while staying comfortable.

My trip this year is six nights, 2 miles from the truck, 1850' climb to camp. We hunt out up to another mile and a half from camp as needed. I'm trying to go in with gear, pack, bow, water and food at 45-47 pounds. I too am on a budget as a single income bank of dad with two teen kids and a very expensive wife, lol. I have bought and upgraded over the last few years to a point that I'm pretty comfortable now with what I have. (New tent and bow next year)

Go out there and have some fun and take notes on what worked well, what you'd like to upgrade, and what wasn't used. (I will never pack butthole sandwiches again (Bagel, peanut butter & bacon) at almost a pound each...my son will never pack full CapriSun's...lessons learned. ;)

One last thing, have as much as you want at the truck; food, drinks, clothes, etc. I made that mistake one time on a backpack trip, leaving the house with only my pack and bow. We spent $50 at the nearest McDonalds on the way out because we didn't have anything to eat at the truck and we had just packed a bull out all night.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
Like boots and calls, gear lists are very intimate to the user. For the sake of argument, I'll assume you're doing this in Colorado. I'm not an expert in backpacking or hunting by all means but I have done a few backpack trips for hunting now so take it with a grain if salt...go as light as possible, while staying comfortable.

My trip this year is six nights, 2 miles from the truck, 1850' climb to camp. We hunt out up to another mile and a half from camp as needed. I'm trying to go in with gear, pack, bow, water and food at 45-47 pounds. I too am on a budget as a single income bank of dad with two teen kids and a very expensive wife, lol. I have bought and upgraded over the last few years to a point that I'm pretty comfortable now with what I have. (New tent and bow next year)

Go out there and have some fun and take notes on what worked well, what you'd like to upgrade, and what wasn't used. (I will never pack butthole sandwiches again (Bagel, peanut butter & bacon) at almost a pound each...my son will never pack full CapriSun's...lessons learned. ;)

One last thing, have as much as you want at the truck; food, drinks, clothes, etc. I made that mistake one time on a backpack trip, leaving the house with only my pack and bow. We spent $50 at the nearest McDonalds on the way out because we didn't have anything to eat at the truck and we had just packed a bull out all night.

Great advice. Can always go back to the truck! Caprisuns!! Haha that is pretty good.

i also have a bunch of stuff in the truck. the important thing is whats in your pack and having what you need in your pack. when its all said and done, i will weigh in between 50-60 pounds for an 8 day hunt. some of the stuff you have listed seems like you are going to have 70 lbs + and that's alot! have you put all that in your pack and tested your pack out? in 2010 i think it was, i was going to do a 3 or 4 day Backcountry hunt with a 2200 ci pack. that did not turn out like i hoped and i ended up back at base camp. good luck though!

OP
H

hntr

FNG
i also have a bunch of stuff in the truck. the important thing is whats in your pack and having what you need in your pack. when its all said and done, i will weigh in between 50-60 pounds for an 8 day hunt. some of the stuff you have listed seems like you are going to have 70 lbs + and that's alot! have you put all that in your pack and tested your pack out? in 2010 i think it was, i was going to do a 3 or 4 day Backcountry hunt with a 2200 ci pack. that did not turn out like i hoped and i ended up back at base camp. good luck though!

Haven't got it all in to weigh it.

cmc934

FNG
Accidents happen quickly. Put a lot of thought in your first aid kit. Also, bring some Advil am & pm, you will thank me later. Look adding a liner and bivy to your sleeping bag to increase the warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't got it all in to weigh it.

if you haven't loaded it and weighed it yet, then its unlikely you've done any testing whatsoever, or hiked with your pack fully loaded. or shot with it on. i would advise you get that thing loaded up and check everything immediately while you still have a little time. that way you can make adjustments. also shooting with your pack on is different than without the pack on. hope you can get it all dialed in before your hunt starts.

Since you mentioned it will be the last week of September, you may actually want to bring those long johns. There have been nights almost every year where I end up sleeping in most of my clothes in my 0 degree bag and am still pretty damn cold. Even with no snow, if it's 20 and windy at night it zaps the heat from everything. If it's not in the budget to get a warmer sleeping bag, I would highly suggest a liner to add especially if your pad isn't super insulated.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I would say you have a great start going. Gear is so personal its hard to even comment on what someone else is bringing.

To me it looks like you are going to be really heavy. Like mentioned above a test weekend will really help you dial it in.

To me its a equation of

Cost vs Weight vs Comfort

You decide where you fit in with those 3 categories.

SteveinMN

FNG
I'm gonna 2nd what others have said about your sleeping bag being my biggest concern about your list. If an upgrade isn't in the budget I'd be damn sure to have the base layers (top and bottoms) and if a check of the weather indicates you might wear base layers all day I'd have a second set to sleep in. Changing into DRY base layers right before bed can make a big difference. Consider putting your puffy ON TOP of your sleeping bag instead of wearing it inside, if you compress your layers too much they won't help as much. as an alternative to a liner you can pick up a $16 space blanket bivy sack to try and up the warmth a bit.

If you don't want to drop $30 to $60 on a nice set of game bags go to the local Good Will and look for king size pillow cases, they're not quite the same, but damn close and way better than trying to use garbage bags.

Because you look to be packing heavy I'd also recommend a set of treking poles. Again on this you can save some $$ by picking up a cheap pair of used ski poles online for under $15. Won't be collapsible but that's alright, just leave them in camp when you're out hunting.

By the sounds of things this might be your first backpack hunt trip so this is really the best advice I can give ::
Be prepared for some of it to be a big suck-fest. There will be times you can't believe you paid money to do this. That's ok, it's part of the game. If you go into it having romanticized it as great fun and all beauty it becomes psychologically hard to push on. When you're visualizing your trip be sure to visualize pain, sweating, freezing, being hungry and thirsty, being woken up by leg cramps, missing your bed, missing non-dehydrated food. This way when you're out there trying to push through it'll be exactly what you expect because it's what you planned for. Your mental attitude is the difference between your trip being Type 2 fun and Type 3 fun.

Marble

WKR
I forgot to put somethings. That pad I had bought a few years back, def not the best. Yes, I need to add beanie and gloves. the camp set, I agree, I won't be taking everything in it. Just good price overall. Game bags the local high school sells these heavy trash bags kitchen size for fundraisers, i'll bring those. dad has used in the past and they work great. knife- I decided to go with a razor pack. para cord is a must, headlamp is a must! Thanks for the input. It is nice to get feedback from people who have been there done that!!
Its a good starter list. I could see you replacing the sleeping bag, pad and tent in the future.

The advice given above is great.

TN VOL77

FNG
Hey guys...need some gear advice...going into my first archery elk hunt..have hunted a couple of late season elk hunts where a warm jacket was a must. will be bowhunting Idaho 2nd-3rd week of September..temps can be 30-80ish degrees..was thinking of layering a merino wool, fleece then vest in the mornings if its windy or chilly...coming from the east and using mostly cotton items my whole life until 2 years ago I'm still learning about the best combo gear...anyone have any vest recommendations? thought about the kuiu guide vest, then the sitka mountain vest, also the sitka jet stream which may be to much for September..any advice appreciated..thanks

Since you mentioned it will be the last week of September, you may actually want to bring those long johns. There have been nights almost every year where I end up sleeping in most of my clothes in my 0 degree bag and am still pretty damn cold. Even with no snow, if it's 20 and windy at night it zaps the heat from everything. If it's not in the budget to get a warmer sleeping bag, I would highly suggest a liner to add especially if your pad isn't super insulated.
Whats it like first two weeks of sept