My 2020 September Elk Hunting Gear List *updated after recomendations

Hey guys...need some gear advice...going into my first archery elk hunt..have hunted a couple of late season elk hunts where a warm jacket was a must. will be bowhunting Idaho 2nd-3rd week of September..temps can be 30-80ish degrees..was thinking of layering a merino wool, fleece then vest in the mornings if its windy or chilly...coming from the east and using mostly cotton items my whole life until 2 years ago I'm still learning about the best combo gear...anyone have any vest recommendations? thought about the kuiu guide vest, then the sitka mountain vest, also the sitka jet stream which may be to much for September..any advice appreciated..thanks

Avoid cotton. If you get wet you'll stay wet in cotton. Can't go wrong with any of the vests from those companies.

backup release in your pack........ya never know........please dont ask me how i know

lol funny you say that. i always have one just because. back in 2012, i made it to the rim of the canyon at first light. i caught some movement very close and it startled me. it was a redneck in bluejeans, cowboy hat, cowboy boots and bow in hand. he was searching for his release he had taken off so he could read his morning newspaper if ya know what I mean. it was his lucky day. i loaned him my spare and told him where to leave it. he was able to keep hunting. are you that guy? NM Gila 16B

Last edited:

ElCapitan

FNG
Get long sleeve merino wool shirt. Either vest u mentioned will work fine. Keep a down jacket in your pack along with a rain jacket and you can handle anything Mother Earth throws at you (within reason and for a day out west that is).
This reply is for TN Voll77.

Rob5589

WKR
You need a warmer bag, and better pad. Last 3 years, first 3 weeks in Sept, we had snow. The "comfort rating" on that bag is 38. 38 isn't very cold. The pad is supposedly popular with Boy and Girl Scouts. Not comforting way back in the mountains.

The tent is a tad heavy. Whittle out what you don't need. Lighter stakes could help. I use MSR Groundhog knock offs.

Use the pot, lid, and stove of cookset. Add in a long spork. Mini Bic just in case igniter fails.

Cut back on the clothes. Darn Tough merino socks are bomb if you're feet get stanky.

Pick up some Allen Backcountry game bags. Great bags, inexpensive. Couple of large contractor bags to lay meat on.

Keep your phone in airplane mode and low backlighting mode. Ditch that heavy block for a 10k mah.

Whatcha doing for water storage? Couple of Smart water bottles are light and work great. One for water, one for mixed drinks. The Cnoc bags are great for dirty water.

I would absolutely pack everything you plan to bring, just as though you're about to throw it on your back and head up the mountain. See how it all fits. Keep light and bulky stuff low, heavier stuff from mid to top.

Good luck!

Marble

WKR
Hey guys...need some gear advice...going into my first archery elk hunt..have hunted a couple of late season elk hunts where a warm jacket was a must. will be bowhunting Idaho 2nd-3rd week of September..temps can be 30-80ish degrees..was thinking of layering a merino wool, fleece then vest in the mornings if its windy or chilly...coming from the east and using mostly cotton items my whole life until 2 years ago I'm still learning about the best combo gear...anyone have any vest recommendations? thought about the kuiu guide vest, then the sitka mountain vest, also the sitka jet stream which may be to much for September..any advice appreciated..thanks
For clothes I bring the following:
Wool socks
Rain resistant pants
Waterproof boots
Base layer, synthetic
Light synthetic long sleeve camo shirt
Medium to light weight wool/synthetic zip up
Puffy jacket
Rain jacket.

The only thing I change for CO in October is instead of rain jacket a bring a warmer insulated gore tex jacket witha hood.

Learn to layer.

For gloves I have light weight wool gloves and a heavy pair of gloves.

In rifle season I wear mechanics glovs while cruising on my horse or in timber.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
I've made quite a few changes based on recommendations. I appreciate all the feedback. Some small things I know I forgot to mention. Some things may be left in the truck.

wytx

WKR
Check on Camofire or Blackovis and get the caribou game bags if you can.
Those plastic bags will not work for your harvested meat as stated by others.
The camp shoes are really a must, gives your feet a rest from the tight boots.

woods89

WKR
This differs with each person, but even hunting 4th season I do not want a base layer over 150 wt. I have some of those 200 wt Black Ovis bottoms, and I consider them a little too heavy for active hunting. And that 250 wt hoody would be way too hot for me. But I sweat a lot.

I prefer synthetic for day hunts, but would definitely choose merino for a backpack hunt.

Make it a point to walk away from the tent feeling cold. You won't be cold for long.

On another note, I took diy meals on my first trip. They worked but I had a hard time getting enough calories. Again, this differs a lot between people. Some say they don't feel like eating in the mountains, and I eat all the time.

Good luck!

Hoopes

FNG
Make sure you have hiked with your weighted pack in the pants and belt you have. Certain belt/pant configurations can start causing discomfort.

You've done a good job whittling down the list since you first posted.
Not sure how many days your trip is but my advice is to break your trip into 3-4 day segments.
This allows you to hunt much lighter and cover more ground until you find the elk. I've learned the hard way hiking in 8 days of food/crap and not finding any elk... It's easy enough to hike out midday to reload, even if you just send one guy. If the elk aren't there you can go to spot B without burning as much time/energy.

Your battery bank is likely overkill. Keep phone on airplane mode and dont use tracking and it lasts a long time.
I bring a 13000mah brick and then swap out for a fresh one when I reload. Same thing with your gas canister. You can use a 100g for 3-4 days and then get a fresh one when you reload. These two will cut a little more weight.