My 2021 Virginia Buck

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Got lucky and finally found a decent buck 3 days before I was scheduled for shoulder surgery this year 2 days before thanksgiving. Generally I am in the mountains hunting in Virginia and rarely watch fields. But it was raining this day, and knowing I was short on time my options were limited. I was watching a couple does feeding in the corn field and it came a helluva rain for 15-20 minutes that ran the deer out of the field. I was tucked under the eaves of a barn so I was luckily staying dry. Thankfully the rain stopped, and the does came back out, followed by a couple more does a few minutes later, and then finally by this guy a few minutes later. He's not a a bad deer for the area I live and hunt in.

258769577_10160437008673646_2344044776999336290_n.jpg259122723_10160437008123646_1587102898965132877_n.jpg258843875_10160437008963646_7952465186690277084_n.jpg

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
well done. good luck w the surgery
I had it done 2 days before thanksgiving, just started physical therapy and he said i am a couple weeks ahead of progress already, so thats good. And I havent been in as much pain as I thought I would be either. My prescription says i can take 1-2 pills every 4 hours. I might take 1-2 a day if needed. So that's a relief as well

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if it is true but I have heard that Highland county is the most rural county east of the Mississippi river
you made me do some googling............lol

from wikipedie:
As of the census[85] of 2010, there were 2,321 people, making it the least populous county in Virginia. The county was the fifth least populous county east of the Mississippi River and the 115th least populous county in the entire United States.[86] There were 1,081 households and 721 families residing in the county. The population density was 5.59 people per square mile (2.16/km2).

I found another site that said in 2019 our population was 2,200 and a couple websites that did mention the "most rural county east of Mississippi" as well, u may be correct lol

Finch

WKR
Congrats!

My wife is from Highland Co. My only experience is the colder than crap Maple festival. Well that and maple doughnuts... beautiful place.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Congrats!

My wife is from Highland Co. My only experience is the colder than crap Maple festival. Well that and maple doughnuts... beautiful place.
LOL it never fails to snow at least one of the maple festival weekends lol

thankfully i get the maple syrup whenever i want some from a neighbor so i dont have to get out in that crowded mess and stand in line lol

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!

Hmmm. Wife from Highland County, we could toss out two last names and have at least a 50% chance of getting it right😉. TRC is right, there's always one nice weekend and one raw and snowy weekend for the Maple Festival. We had a barber in Waynesboro when I was a kid who sold homemade knives at the festival. When the Blizzard of '93 hit, he drove all the way to Monterey, found out the festival was cancelled, and drove all the way back to Waynesboro in a '78 Ford station wagon. He grew up on Cheat Mountain over in WV, so he knew a little about snow. Oh yeah, he was about 85 years old at the time.

Finch

WKR
Hmmm. Wife from Highland County, we could toss out two last names and have at least a 50% chance of getting it right😉. TRC is right, there's always one nice weekend and one raw and snowy weekend for the Maple Festival. We had a barber in Waynesboro when I was a kid who sold homemade knives at the festival. When the Blizzard of '93 hit, he drove all the way to Monterey, found out the festival was cancelled, and drove all the way back to Waynesboro in a '78 Ford station wagon. He grew up on Cheat Mountain over in WV, so he knew a little about snow. Oh yeah, he was about 85 years old at the time.

Crazy! Yeah I love that area but the maple festival just isn't my thing. :)

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
I like to leave Staunton about 4:45, get donuts from the Mill Gap folks about 6 (no line), then back over to McDowell to eat (one of the first in line), then visit a good friend while I'm over there.