My 2021 Virginia mountain buck.

OP
163bc

163bc

FNG
I had 1 hot doe trot come by with a small 8 right on her but. They were followed by several spikes and smaller bucks an then this 10 that i shot and at least 1 other 8. Def a rut situation.

EdP

WKR
Nice going! That's a dandy. Mtn hunting is tough here in Va. It seemed to me that the rut happened a little later this year where I hunt (Grayson Co), and aligned better with the firearms season.

OP
163bc

163bc

FNG
Rut was unusual in my neck of the northern blue ridge. Seemed to be really sporadic and spread out. Lots of early activity w little bucks which seemed to taper off fast. Then it became sporadic. Overall its been a fairly tough season in the club on the properties I hunt.

Shupe88

WKR
Nice going! That's a dandy. Mtn hunting is tough here in Va. It seemed to me that the rut happened a little later this year where I hunt (Grayson Co), and aligned better with the firearms season.

Any luck in Grayson? I hunt Grayson as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Rut was unusual in my neck of the northern blue ridge. Seemed to be really sporadic and spread out. Lots of early activity w little bucks which seemed to taper off fast. Then it became sporadic. Overall its been a fairly tough season in the club on the properties I hunt.
The rut has been really slow and later than usual on the Western side of the mountain also.

EdP

WKR
No luck for me yet Shupe. Every year I try to spend 4/5 days in a back country camp about 3 miles in during the 1st week of firearms season, but this year the weather warmed up and rain came in so I packed up and headed out early. I did find more sign than usual and had a couple of close encounters. I'll spend some time up there during the late ML season too so there is still hope. How about you?