My 284 Winchester Tikka Build

Your 284 is getting very similar results as my 7 saum.

I suspect a 7 wsm would outperform it though.... but that would have needed a bolt change and new mags, but seems perfect for a tikka length action.

Last edited:
OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
I wasn't aware of the size issue with the Tikka.

Wouldn't you be giving up velocity vs 280AI?
With the 162 you would likley be faster with the 280ai. With the 180 and the 3.340 tikka mag I think you would eat up a lot of powder capacity. I also like the 284 because I know I am getting its max potential. I would have a hard time loading for the 280ai knowing it was capable of more but not being able to get it.

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
This weekend I was able to tear down the rifle and cerakote it. I did the action black and the barrel tungsten.1003221836_HDR~2.jpgOnce I am done hunting with the rifle in November I will send it to Kampfeld and have it fluted. Then I will cerakote the flutes black. I also engraved 284 Win. on the barrel today. 1003221837_HDR~2.jpgI have 87 shots down the barrel now. I will shoot the last 10ish over the chronograph to see if the barrel has sped up at all. So far I am loving the cartridge and it has been a fun project!!

Last edited:

Dhbwa

WKR
I have 2 284’s. One on a Tikka with a benchmark barrel and one is on a Defiance LA with a Bartlein CF. So far the Tikka/BM is faster and a hair more accurate but two different reamers and ‘smiths

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
I have about 150 shots down the barrel. The same load is now averaging 2925 fps. The video is 3 shots at 1007 yards on a 12" plate. Hopefully I can put it to work on anule deer soon.

Macintosh

WKR
Nice.
the comb looks perfect, I much prefer the ctr slightly raised comb to my t3xlight, so this would be great. what did you use to (apparently) permanently attach it? Want to make me one?

B23

WKR
Nice job with your build. I'm a fan of just about anything 284 related.

If you can get your hands on some RL16 I think it would be worth trying. You'd likely see a pick up in speed of around 50-ish fps, it should shoot equally well, and RL16 like H4350 is a very temp stable powder. If you don't already have some, finding it to try could be a challenge though.

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
How's that #5 look in the ctr channel?
Not interested in the 180 eldm or 175 eldx?
It is the regular t3x stock. I had to open it up to fit. I shot the 180 eldm just to get a velocity comparison. I am pretty happy with the 162 right now and I prefer the ELDM over the ELDX.

Awesome thread. Couple questions, would you also ideally want a longer than SAAMI throat for 175 eldx bullets or just for 180+? And how do you think this would perform with a short barrel, say 20"? I've been eyeing 284 wins because of 7 saum brass availability, but to be honest haven't found 284 win brass either! Thanks

Awesome thread. Couple questions, would you also ideally want a longer than SAAMI throat for 175 eldx bullets or just for 180+? And how do you think this would perform with a short barrel, say 20"? I've been eyeing 284 wins because of 7 saum brass availability, but to be honest haven't found 284 win brass either! Thanks

Yeah, once lapua started to make .284 brass it was a real attractive option. Less so now that they have paused production of it until they are caught up on military brass backlog. I know Peterson makes it too but wouldn’t be surprised if that is tough to find now due to the void lapua left.

Unknown munitions has a back order for 7 saum brass. I saw some on long range shooting forums today as well from a company. J&a outdoor is where I got 200 from a month ago. You can fairly easily get your hands on 7 saum brass every 6 months

Tahoe1305

WKR
Your 284 is getting very similar results as my 7 saum.

I suspect a 7 wsm would outperform it though.... but that would have needed a bolt change and new mags, but seems perfect for a tikka length action.
Fwiw I’m building a tikka 7wsm now….mags are kinda a PIA. I have 3 variants (of maybe 4 possible) and all have minor issues. Looking forward to putting it all together soon.

Planning it run 175eldx but if 162eldx were on the menu I’d be aiming for right at 3000fps out of my 20”. Shooting for 2900 w/ 175s.

Have the same barrel in 23” to validate my estimates.

Gila

WKR
Yeah, once lapua started to make .284 brass it was a real attractive option. Less so now that they have paused production of it until they are caught up on military brass backlog. I know Peterson makes it too but wouldn’t be surprised if that is tough to find now due to the void lapua left.
Lapua 284 Winchester brass is back on the market And in stock!

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
You would want a longer throat for sure. If you figure 30fps loss per inch I would be at 2800 with my load. My barrel seems to be quite fast though. When Lapua announced they were stopping 284 win production I bought enough brass to burn up the barrel. I absolutely love the cartridge on a tikka action. That being said... build whatever you can get enough brass for, to burn up the barrel, prior to building.

OP
Tullis94

Tullis94

WKR
Lapua 284 Winchester brass is back on the market And in stock!
I just did a quick search, but I couldn't find any. That would be great news if it is back in production already.

Jimbee

WKR
I just did a quick search, but I couldn't find any. That would be great news if it is back in production already.