my 80# RX-1 ultra

My ultra showed up last Thursday and I was able to go pick it up on Saturday. to my surprise I was actually able to shoot this bow at 31" draw (I normally shoot 29.5 or 30 depending on the bow). I was shocked actually, I thought there was no way and that it would be to long but it feels good and my form looks correct. needless to say my arrows I took down to the shop were to short so we built an axis .260 so we could tune the bow and get me shooting. when it was all said and done the arrow weighed in at 575 grains. I was shocked at the speeds we were getting out of the bow, the shops chrono isn't a very good one so I checked it on my chrono at home. 294FPS!!!! this is my first 80# bow and while it is a little stiff it is pretty easy to pull, and easier to let down than my carbon defiant turbo. the bow has a kick to it after the shot which I will have to work on and see if I can get calmed down but over all I am really happy with it. now its time to play with a bunch of different arrows and weights to see what works the best for this setup.

We don't even know his arrow length or tip weight...its impossible to say if he is underspined...

Glad you like the bow.

Well using common sense, he gave us a total arrow weight. The axis is 11.6 gpi and with his draw length his arrow at the shortest can be 28 inches roughly.

So to get up to the much weight he is shooting a good amount of point weight. That's how I know and in turn in askijng him if he knows what his spine is.

OR Archer

WKR
It’s an Axis 260 with a 50gr brass insert and a 150gr point. Cut length is 30.5. Fletch with 3 blazer vanes.

There were no issues getting that bow to tune with that arrow.

Really see i ran my numbers through ot2 and it was telling me I was under spine. I shoot the same numbers as you. Except I shoot a carbon spyder turbo.

OP
It’s an Axis 260 with a 50gr brass insert and a 150gr point. Cut length is 30.5. Fletch with 3 blazer vanes.

There were no issues getting that bow to tune with that arrow.

This is correct. He should know he set it up and built the arrow for me. Zero tuning issues. I am playing with some different arrows also so I can figure out what I like.

OP
Really see i ran my numbers through ot2 and it was telling me I was under spine. I shoot the same numbers as you. Except I shoot a carbon spyder turbo.

Your cam is a lot more aggressive then mine. Your ibo is 350 mine is 330. That could be why. I had to shot a 250 spine out of my carbon defiant turbo last year and it was set at 29.5” draw

Your cam is a lot more aggressive then mine. Your ibo is 350 mine is 330. That could be why. I had to shot a 250 spine out of my carbon defiant turbo last year and it was set at

I hear ya, IBO on the CST is only 340. I guess i need to chrono my arrow it weighs 613gr. I think. the only 200 spine that I could find that was a hunting arrow was the kinetic kaos.

Dameon

WKR
That’s impressive. I love my 75 lb Carbon Defiant Turbo, an 80 lb Ultra with Turbo cams would be a real screamer. Have you thought about switching out cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Really see i ran my numbers through ot2 and it was telling me I was under spine.

OT2 says a lot of arrows are underspined. Shooting 32 1/2" draw I've gotten a few different arrows to tune up well that OT2 says are underspined. I have some TR Crush 300's with 75gr brass HIT's and with 210gr heads they fly like a dream at 644gr finished weight, even at 80lbs.

OP
That’s impressive. I love my 75 lb Carbon Defiant Turbo, an 80 lb Ultra with Turbo cams would be a real screamer. Have you thought about switching out cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have. But now that I know what this bow will do I think I will leave it as is. I am very impressed with this bow!

Hey 225nontypical now that you’ve been shooting that bow for the last 7/8 months what’s your feeling on it? I was looking at going to 80lb for the first time with a standard Rx-1 or an ultra. 29” draw. Anything you would do differently?

Brendan

WKR
Hey 225nontypical now that you’ve been shooting that bow for the last 7/8 months what’s your feeling on it? I was looking at going to 80lb for the first time with a standard Rx-1 or an ultra. 29” draw. Anything you would do differently?

Mine isn't 80lb, it's a 70, but at 29" draw I love the Ultra in the very top slot of a #2 cam which is where you'd be too. I'm shooting a 519 gr arrow at 270-271 right now and super quiet (I think a ~485 gr arrow was around 278?). All still on stock strings.

I can pull 80, ran an 80lb prime last year, but have decided I don't need it when I'm hunting a lot out of tree stands and into the late season and the ability to draw super easy, quiet and controlled, and then hold there is important.

I even tested an Ultra with Turbo Cams which got me an extra 7-8 fps, but I ended up settling on the standard Ultra.

Last edited:
OP

I love this bow. I don’t really have any complaints.

LDJ

FNG
I would like to know what the difference is between our bows. I have the same bow but shooting 29" draw. I'm shooting a 547g arrow 260fps. It feels like my bow arm is bent a little more than it should be. So I think I could get another inch out of it. But do you think there's that much difference in speed from 2" of draw length?