My Bad Experience, Your Gain

Carr5vols

WKR
Wanted to share this, in hope's this will help or save someone in the future. If you have any others please share.

After long day in mountains came back to spike camp ( roughly 5 miles from the truck), and started a fire in a Dakota fire pit we dug out. Had been cold all day so was setting very close to the fire (criss,cross apple sauce style) on the ground. Took out my canister stove and my tank, put it between my legs, went to screw the stove on and fire started rolling out the side of the stove between the stove and the tank. It had caught fire as I did not have it all the way screwed on yet. As you can imagine my life flashed before my eyes, my brother in law with me took off running, I had enough mindset to kick the stove, and it went down toward the creek rolling on fire. Luckily one of the rolls it actually help tighten the stove enough the fire went out. All I can figure is The Lord watched over me.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

tdhanses

WKR
Had a Jetboil do that a few years ago, burn’t it self up. Moved on to an MSR after, so far it’s still going strong.

Broomd

WKR
Wanted to share this, in hope's this will help or save someone in the future. If you have any others please share.
...The Lord watched over me.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Glad for you, and glad for the fact we didn't lose thousands of acres to forest fire! An event like that in tinder dry conditions could wipe out hundreds of homes around here!

ewade07

WKR
I had a two burner Coleman stove do that with those green tanks, thing started spraying flames everywhere. I too saw my life flash before my eyes. I hammer threw that thing as far as I could out into the snow.

ridgefire

WKR
Do they blow up or what? I have had that happen with a acetylene bottle when cutting with the torch and I just closed the valve and the flame went out. It was a small leak where the hose attaches to the bottle.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
This happened in back in august with a jetboil we were scouting for elk in the northern AZ. I jumped in my car to rack out with the windows cracked open while he was getting his mountain house out. As I'm laying there I hear a long string of profanities and a weird hissing noise. I look up and his jetboil was shooting flames where the burner screws on the fuel canister. He does a sweet karate kick to get the burner off his tail gate and we started burying that thing. It went on for 5 minutes and petered out. We dumped a couple gallons of water around where it was to prevent that from catching anything on fire. That was prime fire season. Needless to say I have been an MSR guy.

My first season in Colorado I was warming up next to a small fire at the trailhead one night. I set a can of chunky soup on the ring of rocks and sat back to enjoy a beer. A random hail storm starts pelting me so I jump in the truck. Moments later... BANG! I jump out of the truck thinking it was a gunshot. Then, I find the empty can and realize I forgot to crack it. Scared the shit out of me. Hah!

Bighorner

WKR
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain it will not blow up. Take a deep breath, screw the stove on another quarter turn, move on with your night.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain it will not blow up. Take a deep breath, screw the stove on another quarter turn, move on with your night.

As much flame that was blowing out the side there was no way to turn it another 1/4 turn to seal it off.

rob86jeep

WKR
Why would people switch stove brands after something like that happened? It's not the stoves fault, it's from not screwing the canister on tightly and being exposed to an open flame/spark. Can happen with any brand of stove/fuel.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Why would people switch stove brands after something like that happened? It's not the stoves fault, it's from not screwing the canister on tightly and being exposed to an open flame/spark. Can happen with any brand of stove/fuel.

Agree it was my negligence, just wanted to post so maybe someone else want fall into my stupidity.

Curious about the criss cross applesauce phrase. Never heard the applesauce part.
Glad you’re ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk