My Bad Experience, Your Gain

Wanted to share this, in hope's this will help or save someone in the future. If you have any others please share.

After long day in mountains came back to spike camp ( roughly 5 miles from the truck), and started a fire in a Dakota fire pit we dug out. Had been cold all day so was setting very close to the fire (criss,cross apple sauce style) on the ground. Took out my canister stove and my tank, put it between my legs, went to screw the stove on and fire started rolling out the side of the stove between the stove and the tank. It had caught fire as I did not have it all the way screwed on yet. As you can imagine my life flashed before my eyes, my brother in law with me took off running, I had enough mindset to kick the stove, and it went down toward the creek rolling on fire. Luckily one of the rolls it actually help tighten the stove enough the fire went out. All I can figure is The Lord watched over me.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Ha! I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!

Back about 12 years ago, I arrived at camp before anyone. I set up my 16 by 20 wall tent and got the stove and everything inside right before dark. I was super excited for the week long hunt coming and decided I'd get some lanterns lit inside the tent as the other hunters were due to arrive. I set about screwing a double mantle coleman lantern onto an twenty gallon propane tank. Both belonged to my dad and i had carried it to camp since he wasn't due to arrive until the next day

Mind you this was basically a brand new tent with a stove combo I had purchased as a gift for my hunting group. So, I was proud of it too. Taking my time, sipping a cold beer, stoking the fire and all while preparing to light the lantern. While screwing it on, I didn't notice that I had cross threaded it. Only thought it tightened down really soon. But, it wasn't my equipment so, I was not familiar with it and never really gave it another thought. I stood up, took a nice swig of beer, bent back over, turned that knob on until I heard it hissing, then flicked the bic lighter. All #$%! broke loose when I did. Flames shot out the side of where the lantern had threaded onto that tank. Plus fire was shooting out through the globe.

It was a big fire man. I about feel over my piled up gear when I jumped back. I stood there for a millisecond evaluating my options, then just broke and run. Fire was shooting out every where as I cleared the tent door. I went right by the truck and kept on trucking. I was R-U-N-N-I-N-G Forrest Gump style knowing that thing was going to explode. the thought entered my mind i was about to lose a bunch of gear, my new tent setup, and my truck. I didn't care.

I ran about 70 yards in record time when I looked back. Expecting to see that tent in flames. It wasn't. But, it did appear to have the sun inside of it when looking at it. I stood there for about 10 seconds watching it when it occurred to me it wasn't going to blow. If it was, it would have by now. So, the fear then became I was going to loose my gear, my tent setup, and my truck because I allowed the bottle to burn long enough to catch everything on fire.

So, the sprint back to save my stuff was on. I'm not going to lie, it took a second to gather the muster to enter back into that tent. That was a good thing. Because while hesitating outside the glowing tent, I saw my Carhart jacket laying on the hood of the truck. I grabbed it and in the door I went. To shorten this a bit, the jacket prevented me from getting burned or caught ablaze while turning that lantern off.

Adrenaline was pumping so hard through my body, I nearly collapsed. It took a good while before calming down enough to enjoy another cold beer. :^)

Last edited:
Years ago I started a SVEA stove on the deck of a Forest Service cabin in southeast AK.
I went inside to get a pot and when I got back the deck was on fire...the cracked o-ring had leaked white gas.
Luckily it was pouring rain and I kicked the stove off the deck and the deck was wet so the wood never caught fire.

Phaseolus

WKR
Years ago I started a SVEA stove on the deck of a Forest Service cabin in southeast AK.
I went inside to get a pot and when I got back the deck was on fire...the cracked o-ring had leaked white gas.
Luckily it was pouring rain and I kicked the stove off the deck and the deck was wet so the wood never caught fire.
Those SVEA’s could be dangerous, I’ve done the same.