My Bethel report

USMC2602

WKR
Returned from Bethel last Thursday, spent most of the weekend cleaning gear and getting everything dried out. This was my first moose hunt, DIY drop in via Renfro's with my best friend and 20+ year hunting partner. Absolutely amazing experience, everything I'd hoped it would be. I'll attach a few pictures and will update the thread with some more detail when things slow down a bit.

BgMsM2Y.jpg

gvfiZbc.jpg

R21XDB9.jpg

CK5YQwK.jpg

I had the Alpacka raft I purchased here from another member right before the trip (which was a lifesaver), and Renfro's provided a larger Kork raft. Without both of the rafts, would not have considered taking the bulls (15 minutes apart) where we did. It took 2 1/2 days to break them down, etc., and paddle the Kork and towing the Alpacka the mile plus back to our camp. Believe it was 8 round trips total (felt like a lot more!).

Also want to thank AK Doc and the other members that generously provided information and were always kind enough to reply to my continued PM's. If you're like me and have this trip on your bucket list, get it booked!

bmrfish

WKR
Outstanding!
How did you get your bulls? Calling? Glassing? Floating along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, 2 buddy’s and I will be hunting with renfros for 10 days next September. I’d love to hear more from your hunt, and what gear you suggest or not for the area they dropped you.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Really nice job sir...from planning to finish, you did it so well. That bull is a big boy for sure and will be a memory of a lifetime on your wall.

I would have enjoyed meeting-up with you face to face out there, but we just missed one another by a half-day.

Semper Fi Marine Corps brother!

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
bmrfish - We were on a DIY lake drop, so stationary camp. We started seeing bulls via glassing on day 3, after the storm/wind/rain had died down some. I called in one small bull to about 40 yards on the morning of day 3, and we had a cow standing within 50 feet of our tipi at first light that same morning. Did have one black bear around our camp area eating berries on day one, but he moved on within a few hours and we had no issues with bears during our trip.

PA Hunter - We provided all our own gear, food, etc., Renfro's provided drop off and pick up only, so we were allowed 125 lbs per man.

Matt79 - I'll add some more specifics as to gear, etc., as I get time.

Took my bull at 270 yards, and thankfully he collapsed where he stood - on dry ground., which was about 15 yards from the lake. The 180 gr Accubond from my 300 WM did its job.
3wi7bdm.jpg

jIP5ZFR.jpg

Nontyp

FNG
How much meat were you able to load up into the KORK. We used mine this year on a lake hunt to help get around. We had 470lbs of guys and 100 lbs of gear and paddled 1mile up and down the lake. I have thought about using it as a 2nd support raft on a float hunt in the future

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
We ended up hauling most of the meat and the racks in the Alpacka, which we towed behind the Kork. It will hold 500 lbs. If I remember correctly, in the picture above with my rack, there was a hind, a front, and a misc bag under the rack. With two of us in the Kork, we didn't have "room" for much, although I don't think weight was an issue. We'd try to stick a hind or front quarter in each trip, or maybe a miscellaneous bag or two.

PA Hunter

WKR
bmrfish - We were on a DIY lake drop, so stationary camp. We started seeing bulls via glassing on day 3, after the storm/wind/rain had died down some. I called in one small bull to about 40 yards on the morning of day 3, and we had a cow standing within 50 feet of our tipi at first light that same morning. Did have one black bear around our camp area eating berries on day one, but he moved on within a few hours and we had no issues with bears during our trip.

PA Hunter - We provided all our own gear, food, etc., Renfro's provided drop off and pick up only, so we were allowed 125 lbs per man.

Matt79 - I'll add some more specifics as to gear, etc., as I get time.

Took my bull at 270 yards, and thankfully he collapsed where he stood - on dry ground., which was about 15 yards from the lake. The 180 gr Accubond from my 300 WM did its job.
3wi7bdm.jpg

jIP5ZFR.jpg
I love them Accubonds been loading 200 gr Accubonds for 6 different .300 RUMS and been using them on moose for last 10 years with outstanding results. I just got back from Tok area hunting another 2 bulls falling to Accubonds rather quick.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great hunt! I'm booked with a buddy for 2024 through Renfros. Can't wait.

Any pictures of your buddies bull?

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
He’s not on here, so I don’t want to post one of his glamour shots, but let me look. Believe his taped a couple inches more than mine. Thinner paddles, but HUGE fronts. I’ll not be fortunate enough to make it up there again, but if I did, I’d gladly take either of our bulls again.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
He’s not on here, so I don’t want to post one of his glamour shots, but let me look. Believe his taped a couple inches more than mine. Thinner paddles, but HUGE fronts. I’ll not be fortunate enough to make it up there again, but if I did, I’d gladly take either of our bulls again.
Well said...you guys sure did a good job! Thankfully you didn't have to use that z-drag system that you wisely put together in advance and had with you "just in case"...he dropped pretty close to that lake...good shooting!

I enjoyed talking with you during prep and anticipation. Sorry to hear you won't be able to come back up, but I truly wish you the best for future adventures in your world...Semper Fi!