My biggest NY whitetail

ejp5281

FNG
Congratulations on an awesome buck! I hunt in Sullivan County and for the past few years, we have been doing more work to encourage deer growth and a bunch of us who hunt are more likely to pass on smaller bucks. It seems like it is starting to pay off, but not to that magnitude.

How big is the continuous farm and what are you doing to help grow quality deer? I would be interested in hearing anything that has worked for you or any tips you may have. Our camp has approximately 400 acres on 3 separate properties.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck...it's pretty common for a mature 4x4 to score 125-135. To jump in the 140-160 range you're looking at 5x5 or better with good tine length...especially G4's on a 5x5. You gain a much better 4th mass measurement on 5x5 and add two or more tine measurements into the mix. We've all seen exceptional 4x4's that score higher, but they are exceptional. Congrats on a beautiful buck and don't get hung up on score in NYS.

Gboots

FNG
Congratulations on an awesome buck! I hunt in Sullivan County and for the past few years, we have been doing more work to encourage deer growth and a bunch of us who hunt are more likely to pass on smaller bucks. It seems like it is starting to pay off, but not to that magnitude.

How big is the continuous farm and what are you doing to help grow quality deer? I would be interested in hearing anything that has worked for you or any tips you may have. Our camp has approximately 400 acres on 3 separate properties.
Hey ejp5281 I'm also from the Ulster/Sullivan area and I'm interested in reloading and work in the city. I would like to purchase some primers from you but I'm new to the forum and can't post PM's until I reach 10 posts and wait 7 days. If you can find a way to contact me so we can get in touch, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
did you guys get hit with ehd at all?? Im also from southern NY and we got hammered worst season I've ever experienced.. Found multiple dead bucks such a shame.

Heard it was real bad from Oswego up to A Bay. I’d say it wasn’t bad here in the west (regions 8&9) but lost 5 of 6 bucks I had sheds of somehow/someway despite conditions that wouldn’t warrant that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk