My biggest whitetail, and archery deer story

SigM1

FNG
This year was one of the most incredible and difficult years I’ve ever had hunting. I’ve been hunting here in Nebraska the entire season since day 1 of archery September 1st solely on public land. The first sit I saw 2 bucks in velvet, and then a couple more hunts later I saw a few more deer in velvet. Then until mid October I saw no bucks in daylight until seeing some smaller bucks. Then October 27th I had 2 bucks come right under my stand rutting hard, one of them a nice eight pointer and another was a crazy buck with a strange rack. The 8 pointer gave me a shot and I took it and hit two inches to the left of where I was aiming, hitting shoulder and getting 2 inches of penetration and he ran off with my arrow in him. We ended up looking for hours after giving him time with 6 of my buddies, we found no sign and never found him. Then November got really hot for over 2 weeks and I didn’t see a buck until late November I had a few close calls once it started to get cold. Saw some nice bucks but couldn’t close the deal. Then on my last hunt before finals week(I’m a college student) I was praying that this would be the hunt. It was nov 21 and the conditions looked right. I got in my stand at 2:30 and at 3:15 I had an absolutely massive 12 pointer come right to 25 yards away. And we had a stare down for over 5 minutes and he never presented me a shot and walked away. I was heartbroken he was the biggest buck I had ever seen in person. Then not even 10 minutes later around 3:30 I had a buck start tromping through the woods coming in from where he had come from, but it was a completely different buck I could tell because the rack looked crazy. It was the other one I saw when I shot at the eight pointer earlier in October. He was coming in hot and was going to a shooting lane I had that was about 1 yard wide. I couldn’t even think I drew my bow back stopped him for a split second, full pass through double lung, died in sight. Couldn’t be more grateful for this guy, super unique my biggest buck and shot him with my bow during rifle season, with rifle hunters hunting the same land as me.
1db93ba63d33cc071c9a83f2642dd51e.jpg

2a16a4d0f6ece43ddc247cb0619f96c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SigM1

SigM1

FNG
Anybody have any theories on why the left side was all weird? It had a double brow, thick base, kicker coming off the back, and weird drop tine thing coming off the base. Think it could have been injured the opposite side the year before or it just grew like that?

HuntingIN

FNG
That is an amazing buck and an absolutely awesome story
Congratulations man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
That thing is just cool! Congratulations! Sig, it always could be due to injury but most likely genetics. His beam is normal with a mainframe five point side, double brow (not completely unusual), and a point at the base. (Also not unusual). Usually the missing part for most deer is age, this one has it. JMO

Last edited: