My bucket list elk hunt

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for suggestions for my once in a lifetime elk hunt next year. At age 70 not many years left to do it. Retired military special ops and 100% disabled but all orthopedic. One knee replaced, other one not the greatest, fused vertebra in neck, bad hips and ankles. However still walk daily and hold my own even though will be 70. I can deal with the pain and fatigue and do not know word quit. Heart and BP are great so no issues there. Spent lot of time in mountains (Rockies and Alps) in the service so I know what it is like normally just pretty sure I am not 30 anymore. My body tells me that every morning.

Hunted since age 6 and excellent shot. Shoot LR regularly. Took a big 10 pt. whitetail two years ago at 573 yards one shot. So I feel pretty comfortable out to 500 with whatever rifle I bring.I have multiple rifles (mainly 257 Wby and 6.5-06AI or regular or smokeless ML) for this), good glass and binos and RF plus clothing for the hunt. No problem coming out early and acclimating for a few days.

I am willing to put in the work to try to get in best shape but hills/mtns are limited at the beach and 20 ft. elevation. No problem with putting in mileage to get ready as much as possible. I see several trips to the NC mountains for some hill work for a few days also.

No problem pulling my weight at a camp and doing my share. Not a high tolerance for crooks, idiots or fools who want to play me for one.

Finally in a position I can afford ( I think) and have time to take that hunt. Looking at private landowner in NM as possibility so no 3-4 year draw process. No expectations of world class elk, but would like the “opportunity” for a decent bull. Not looking for some cheap jackleg outfitter that shows me a cow or spike on day one and says shoot but hunt is over if you do not.

My questions are:

1. Is NM best place to do this?

2. Who are some recommended honest outfitters that would tackle me on a hunt?

3. What would expected outfitter cost range be for the hunt (1 on 1 probably) and tips etc.?

4. What is price range for landowner hunts?

4. What else am I missing?

Thanks

Last edited:
You may want to consider an outfitted MT hunt too. Draw odds are very good (I went last fall with 1 point) and there are some terriffic areas if you're willing to spend some $$$. However, the biggest problem may be finding an outfitter with openings.

You remind me of a fella from AR that was on our hunt. We packed in 18 miles on horse to camp and rode out every day. He was 71 and he hung in there with everybody like a warrior. Even damn near got bucked off his horse and stayed cool. Damn good guy in camp and could tell one heck of story.

Good luck to you!

Of all the elk hunts that I have been on my all time favorite was in the Gila in New Mexico.....We stayed in a small town called Quemado and hunted South route 60 and West of route 32. A very strange and mysterious country that is full of box canyons, pinions and junipers....and big ass bulls. In the 14 days I hunted there I saw more big bulls there then all the years hunting elsewhere.

Now I was hunting unit 15A which was a primitive weapons unit only in those days and I am not sure if changes have been made but if you can get into that area I believe you could find your trophy.

I would venture it would cost you $7500-$10,000 for a hunt you want as your only elk experience. NM would be a good place to look as they have landowner tags and private. Good luck

Marble

WKR
And if you are worried about the altitude, arriving a week in advance makes a huge difference in being acclimated.

It's one of the reason we go a few days early. None of us have ever had any altitude problems up to 11k.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I would get in contact with Huntn Fool and Epic Outdoors and We are the Draw. Pay them a small fee and they will do all the work to find the best person for ya. I would not look over Texas, California,Oregon or some other states that others haven't mentioned. New Mexico is lining up to be killer next year with the monsoonal moisture they are getting right now, as long as they get some precipitation during the winter too.
If I were you, to get an outfitter and a tag that isn't stupid expensive like New Mexico, no less than 12k, I would go with Cody Cole in Oregon. Give him a call, the access he has is crazy and his ability to be that one on one outfitter is good! His crew will come in after to help out." Cody Cole " click that link

Also check out
GoHunt link

OP
B

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Any other recommendations for landownder tags and outfitters for 2023 plus

Gila

WKR
Of all the elk hunts that I have been on my all time favorite was in the Gila in New Mexico.....We stayed in a small town called Quemado and hunted South route 60 and West of route 32. A very strange and mysterious country that is full of box canyons, pinions and junipers....and big ass bulls. In the 14 days I hunted there I saw more big bulls there then all the years hunting elsewhere.

Now I was hunting unit 15A which was a primitive weapons unit only in those days and I am not sure if changes have been made but if you can get into that area I believe you could find your trophy.
15, 17, 13 are primitive weapons only units. Not very many tags allocated for those units either.

Mojave

WKR
34 or one of the 16's.

Your drawing odds are probably .5-1.4 percent.

There are lots of land owner tag hunts in 34 and the 16's, but they will be top dollar $10,000 may not scratch the surface.

Utah and California private land elk hunts will be $12-25,000.

There are some West Texas elk hunts near Alpine that are free range.

There are some ranch hunts in Saskatchewan and Alberta for under $10,000 for 400 inch bulls.

Uncmikel

FNG
I would get in contact with Huntn Fool and Epic Outdoors and We are the Draw. Pay them a small fee and they will do all the work to find the best person for ya. I would not look over Texas, California,Oregon or some other states that others haven't mentioned. New Mexico is lining up to be killer next year with the monsoonal moisture they are getting right now, as long as they get some precipitation during the winter too.
If I were you, to get an outfitter and a tag that isn't stupid expensive like New Mexico, no less than 12k, I would go with Cody Cole in Oregon. Give him a call, the access he has is crazy and his ability to be that one on one outfitter is good! His crew will come in after to help out." Cody Cole " click that link

Also check out
GoHunt link
I’m a little late to the game on this one but I’ll confirm that Cody is a good dude. Headed out in feb for a cow hunt after a great hunt with him and his staff last year.

If I was going to fork out $10K -15K on a dream hunt and my "last hunt" I wouldn't choose NM. To many
experiences with hit or miss guides. There is an all too common practice of below par outfitters and last second
guide hires that I wouldn't burn my "last hunt" on that. I would contact one of the online consultants and find
a Wyoming/Utah landowner/ranch hunt. At $ 10-15K you can and should find a top rated experience.

I have drawn 16D in the Gila twice and both times had below expectation experiences. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to them. This is mine.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for suggestions for my once in a lifetime elk hunt next year. At age 70 not many years left to do it. Retired military special ops and 100% disabled but all orthopedic. One knee replaced, other one not the greatest, fused vertebra in neck, bad hips and ankles. However still walk daily and hold my own even though will be 70. I can deal with the pain and fatigue and do not know word quit. Heart and BP are great so no issues there. Spent lot of time in mountains (Rockies and Alps) in the service so I know what it is like normally just pretty sure I am not 30 anymore. My body tells me that every morning.

Hunted since age 6 and excellent shot. Shoot LR regularly. Took a big 10 pt. whitetail two years ago at 573 yards one shot. So I feel pretty comfortable out to 500 with whatever rifle I bring.I have multiple rifles (mainly 257 Wby and 6.5-06AI or regular or smokeless ML) for this), good glass and binos and RF plus clothing for the hunt. No problem coming out early and acclimating for a few days.

I am willing to put in the work to try to get in best shape but hills/mtns are limited at the beach and 20 ft. elevation. No problem with putting in mileage to get ready as much as possible. I see several trips to the NC mountains for some hill work for a few days also.

No problem pulling my weight at a camp and doing my share. Not a high tolerance for crooks, idiots or fools who want to play me for one.

Finally in a position I can afford ( I think) and have time to take that hunt. Looking at private landowner in NM as possibility so no 3-4 year draw process. No expectations of world class elk, but would like the “opportunity” for a decent bull. Not looking for some cheap jackleg outfitter that shows me a cow or spike on day one and says shoot but hunt is over if you do not.

My questions are:

1. Is NM best place to do this?

2. Who are some recommended honest outfitters that would tackle me on a hunt?

3. What would expected outfitter cost range be for the hunt (1 on 1 probably) and tips etc.?

4. What is price range for landowner hunts?

4. What else am I missing?

Thanks
If you’re looking for quantity of elk and not necessarily quality I’ve seen a ton of elk around Meeker Colorado I hunted with Cherry ranch not a real physical demanding hunt some blind hunting private land

Most of the Gila guides live NO WHERE near the Gila. So they do not scout in advance. They know the park, but only visit if they have a hunter.

I believe there are 1 or 2 guides that live in Reserve. But you're not drawing a tag, so it doesn't matter.