My bugles are a bit nasally

So I'm an ok caller - I have called in several bulls, including a decent 6 last year, but I tend to have a nasally sounding bugle... to the point where my family always knows it's me now when we are out lol.

I've switched up reeds and tubes and it's still mostly the same - any tips on how to get a more open/deeper/less reedy sound to my bugles... or do I just stick with the satellite bull/puberty ridden bull thing I've got going on now lol

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Only things I can think of to try: Try double or triple layer reeds, deepen your voice when you add it, play with reed position in mouth (more front or back slightly). Make sure your breath coming out is from diaphragm. Play with breath intensity.

When I started I just had a terminator tube that I cut the bulb off of. It sounded very plastic. I wrapped the tube in a bunch of electrical tape to thicken the walls. It still sounds pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
Only things I can think of to try: Try double or triple layer reeds, deepen your voice when you add it, play with reed position in mouth (more front or back slightly). Make sure your breath coming out is from diaphragm. Play with breath intensity.

When I started I just had a terminator tube that I cut the bulb off of. It sounded very plastic. I wrapped the tube in a bunch of electrical tape to thicken the walls. It still sounds pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ok cool I'll give it a shot ... I'm wondering if I need to have the reeds a bit deeper in my mouth. I'll experiment with a triple as well .. I have some singles and doubles but no triples.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
Always a good thing to try to get better at calling, but remember, the only one you need to convince is the bull you are calling to. Not the other members of your family.
Yea for sure... I called a 6 pt into range last year and can get them talking... So yes you are right, but at the same time I do wanna try and improve... I'm a musician, so I'm always trying to improve my sound :)

OP
rileybassman
Too, make sure you have a good reed. If your present one is getting fatigued it will sound lazy & nasally.

ElkNut

Good info thanks... They have 2 seasons under their belt so that may be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
That's it! They rarely last a couple months of use. Buy new ones bud, you'll notice a significant difference!

Phelps has some good reeds, look at the White Amp, it's user friendly & is capable of doing all Bull & Cow sounds.

ElkNut

OP
rileybassman
That's it! They rarely last a couple months of use. Buy new ones bud, you'll notice a significant difference!

Phelps has some good reeds, look at the White Amp, it's user friendly & is capable of doing all Bull & Cow sounds.

ElkNut
Awesome thanks so much!

Appreciate it! Gonna pick some up this week then :)

I blow through a reed in just a few days. Have a half dozen or more of my favorites for every September. Every once in a while get one I don’t like for some reason and chuck it.

@rileybassman what bugle tube are you using? The big Phelps tubes are good. Are you anchoring the tip of your tongue at your bottom teeth gumline and arching your tongue so the middle if your tongue is putting pressure on the latex?

OP
rileybassman
@rileybassman what bugle tube are you using? The big Phelps tubes are good. Are you anchoring the tip of your tongue at your bottom teeth gumline and arching your tongue so the middle if your tongue is putting pressure on the latex?
Last 3 years I used a bugling bull tube - my wife bought me a Phelps tube this year so I'll be using that.

As far as anchoring, interesting question because I have been playing around with that - I picked up a berry call without the metal tab this week and noticed it was a little harder for me then the other half a dozen reeds I have been using over the last several years. It had to be deeper in my mouth (almost makes me gag lol) and also was forcing me to anchor my tongue like you are saying.

So I think it may be helping my technique even tho I feel like a took a step back with this particular reed sound wise... When it's placed right I do get a lot less air and just pure tone.

I'm gonna buy a handful of new reeds this week and keep experimenting.

Phelps does make a small tube so make sure you have the big dog. I have both. Love the small guy but the big tube throws a richer tone.

Sounds like you are on the right track working on airflow. Have seen Dirk "The Bugler" in some Elk Collective camps recommend practicing making a mosquito sound to control airflow. Still don't have airliow perfect myself. Cheers🇺🇸

wytx

WKR
More air volume.
You are a muscian, I was too at one time. Power bugle as state above allows me to move some air though the bigger diameter tube.
Look at an elk windpipe, it is rather large. Fill your bugle tube with air and it will not sound nasally.