My Dad, a "Gentleman Hunter", wants to go West!

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I would look into private land owner tags with an outfitter. Guaranteed tag in your pocket with private land to hunt. They can be pricey but like mentioned above, the time spent with your father will be priceless. PM me for more info on a lead and recommendation I have in SE New Mexico.

I can't recommend an outfitter, but I would look hard and going into the the area surrounding Yellowstone. By all accounts it's a special place and would be a cherished memory on any man's death bed.

elkguide

WKR
You are so lucky. What I wouldn't give to be able to go on a hunt with my father/family.

In the years that I guided, the saddest thing that I saw, was the hunter that had worked hard all their life, saved for their first elk hunt. They retired and then got to our backcountry hunt and found that they just couldn't physically and mentally chase and go where the elk were able to go.

A backcountry/wall tent, rut hunt is amazing but it is usually a younger man's hunt. I'm in my 60's now and I climb ladders as a house painter every day. I ride a bicycle around 4500 miles a year and start hiking with a pack at least 5 miles a day in July to get ready for my western hunting every year. I hate to admit it but I get so frustrated when it takes me an hour to climb a Western hill that used to take me 45 minutes to go up.

With what you have told us, I would steer you towards a ranch/private land hunt. It will be more expensive but being comfortable and being able to get to your hunt areas, will make for much better memories. When you are young, sleeping in a tent and waking up with your tent roof on your face because it snowed two feet over night and now you are starting up the hill with wet clothes/boots is part of the learning/hunting memories and experience that you can laugh about later. With your father being older, your Bro and BIL not being hunters and you being an archery hunter picking up a rifle..... I'd look towards a lodge type hunt.

Good luck in your research. This can be a great memory maker and I'm jealous. ENJOY!!!!

rayporter

WKR
one day about 1990 or so we were eating and a table behind us had some elderly gents listening to us. eventually they struck up a conversation and they had just retired and were going to live the dream. we thought how sad they waited until retiring when the mountain would be so harsh on them.

There is no shame in going outfitted. There is a common misconception that if you go outfitted you are going to step out of a suburban and shoot a 350 bull. That may happen on High fenced hunts but your average outfitted hunt you are going to hike just as much as un-outfitted. What they provide is a lodge/camp, cooking, local knowledge and packing the animal out for you. You have to be in the same physical shape as DYI.
You just don't have worry about the logistics, you are paying for that to go away. In my opinion they do all the things I don't want to do so I can just relax and hunt.

The key is finding the right outfitter and taking the input of people here then checking the references. Montana is also a good state to look into. My connection in MT just retired so I am looking again. A good CO outfitter is Clint Martin out of Coberly Creek Outfitters out of Toponas. I think he is booked for 2021 but you could book 2022.

OP
Bulldog2nine

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I appreciate it, keep it coming guys. I’ll probably vet at least 20 outfitters for pops. He is looking for a lodge type hunt, hot meals and private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
Contact R&K. They offer hunts in UT and they operate in WY as well.

They do a lot for the RMEF and even host the annual Freedom Hunt for wounded vets each year. Beautiful lodge and great people.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Contact R&K. They offer hunts in UT and they operate in WY as well.

They do a lot for the RMEF and even host the annual Freedom Hunt for wounded vets each year. Beautiful lodge and great people.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

My boss hunted with R&K last year in Utah. He had nothing but good things to say and killed a nice bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Do you have PP for Wyoming ? Gonna have to have at least 3 to draw a general tag.
A ranch type hunt in a general area around Saratoga might fit your bill. General areas and they have plenty of elk.
Look into Spur Outfitters, WyCon and others near Saratoga.