My DIY Cargo Panel (UPDATE)!!!!

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I made my DIY cargo panel and it turned out great. Here is the original thread if you missed it.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-gear-modifications/49994-diy-cargo-panel.html

So I used it last fall for whitetail season here in Missouri. I hauled my Lone Wolf stand and climbing sticks. It worked good with no issues. I decided I liked the CP's versatility and wanted to try to configure a multi day system with the CP as the foundation. My thought was to have a two part system that could easily merge into one. It would go from a complete multi day pack to a hunting pack and back again quickly and with little effort (not having to move and reconfigure the lid and every strap). The main goal was that everything in the hunting setup could stay in its place and not have to be moved when loading up camp, moving, and unloading again. So first thing first. I made my version of a camp bag. The main bag is basically the same dimensions as an EMR 2. It's a roll top design with a two way center zipper. This allows me to have access to the contents even with the top rolled up and locked down.

I later added the two small side pockets for longer items to be strapped to the outside.

Next I addressed my guide lid. I had never been happy with how it was originally attached to the frame. I later went to adjustable buckles, found out I never adjusted it, no mater what size load I seemed to carry. So I did a little surgery and installed 3 bar sliders. It's now mounted at the highest point of the frame and works great.

Here she is all loaded up and ready to go. Note the large pocket on the bottom of the CP. It's my first one built to my own dimensions and it turned out nice.

KEEP SCROLLING! THERE'S MORE!!!

Last edited:
OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
We made it to camp. Time to break it down and go hunt. The lid unsnaps. Note the movable female buckles in the CP just above the medium pocket. They will come into play shortly (I ended up relocating their positions a little).

Top buckles and two straps unhook completely freeing the camp bag.

Here you can see the zipper mod I made to the CP. It's nice when Live2hunt lives 15 minutes from you and you can bounce ideas off of each other. The zipper was his idea. I chose the location. Since my cargo panel was two layers of 1000D, I had all of the space in between that wasn't being utilized. After I installed the zipper I found out just how much volume there was. You can cram a lot of gear in there!

Here we have, in clockwise order, my kill kit, possibles pouch, Poseidon rain jacket, and sheep tarp. There's still room for more gear. These items stay here and never have to be switched back and forth between the camp bag.

A few more pics of the outer pockets. TP and a DIY rain cover for my pack.

Balaclava, beanie, and some gloves.

Last edited:
OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Kratos puffy and Sawyer sqeeze kit.

Now I fold the top of the cargo panel over and fasten these buckles. This shortens the panel for a tighter fit against the frame. I don't have it pictured but my water bladder is in between the CP and the frame. During the hike in it would be between the camp bag and the frame.

Ready to go!

Here's what I mentioned earlier about accessing the camp bag with the roll top closed.

Fully open.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Very nice work. I'm on the fence about making a camp bag to run with my nomad or just buying a dry bag. If I make a camp bag it will have a full zip and therefor will not be fully waterproof. That is the appeal of a legitimate dry bag.

Great work. I have no sewing skills at present. I do have a nomad, camp bag and dry bag. I run a OR 55L dry bag inside the camp bag for those items that can't get wet. If I need to ounce count I run with only the dry bag and leave the camp bag at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Only things i'm really concerned about keeping dry is my quilt and clothes. I could always run those items in small dry bags of their own.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice work. I'm on the fence about making a camp bag to run with my nomad or just buying a dry bag. If I make a camp bag it will have a full zip and therefor will not be fully waterproof. That is the appeal of a legitimate dry bag.

Thanks! That's why I made a pack cover to keep handy.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Only things i'm really concerned about keeping dry is my quilt and clothes. I could always run those items in small dry bags of their own.

Exactly the reason I don't have down anymore. Went to all synthetic stuff, slick bag, puffy, etc.

WoodBow

WKR
Mine is all synthetic as well. I'm still not looking to sleep in it wet if i can avoid it. Just bc you won't die, doesn't mean you won't be uncomfortable.

Have you seen exo's new dry bag system? It's pretty sweet but the idea doesn't work with a center zip.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Just pack the stuff into a garbage bag in the camp bag like is typically done backpacking. I made my camp bag with a fully opening center zip (so it opens into a triangleish shape, fully open at the top and normal width at the bottom) and use that as a gear ground cloth in the shelter.

WoodBow

WKR
Just pack the stuff into a garbage bag in the camp bag like is typically done backpacking. I made my camp bag with a fully opening center zip (so it opens into a triangleish shape, fully open at the top and normal width at the bottom) and use that as a gear ground cloth in the shelter.

That's what I am currently doing. It would just simplify things to just throw stuff in the main bag and know it will stay dry. The nomad will give me pockets for stuff that I need access to so a center zip is probably not needed. I love my center zip on my diy pack bag but I am using it as a day pack as well. With the nomad I would be ditching the main bag for day hunting obviously.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider

Yep. Trash compactor bags work great.