My diy mega tarp!!!

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Well last year I made my first DIY tarp http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-gear-modifications/49355-diy-tarp.html and took it to Colorado on my first elk hunt. It served me very well. This year I thought I'd up my DIY game and make a Mega. I tweaked the dimensions a little to my liking and to use with my Black Diamond Carbon FLZ trekking poles. It came in at 12' long, 7'2" wide, and 4' tall. THIS THING IS HUGE!!!!! I put a two way zipper in the back. Finished weight after seam sealing should be 29 ounces. This includes all guy out lines but no stakes. Enjoy the pics!!

KoL3W7H.jpg

Vn2Ksvz.jpg

xwpzdGy.jpg

sOOTU6D.jpg

eSEtTdI.jpg

Jq443rx.jpg

E2sPA3Y.jpg

i0pnCjC.jpg

Last edited:

530Chukar

WKR
Looks like it turned out nice. What did you use for the reinforcement/ guy out points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider

WKR
Nice work, that thing looks like a palace!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's so cool! Definitely on my wish list of projects

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Nice job. My question is why not make it fully enclosed? I know it will vent better with an end open but I really prefer the idea of full enclosure.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
This is great! Did you use some kind of a template to cut the fabric?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No template was used, just the basic dimensions Live2hunt posted a couple years ago. Triple check measurements, use a long straight edge and a Sharpie to mark it, and cut it out.

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
18 oz or 35 oz hypalon? Did you use two grommets in each of the hypalon reinforcement? What tool did you use for the grommets?

I'm halfway through a similar build. i have one side with all my reinforcements and zipper sewn on. Working on the second half now. Im doing the same design but a zipper on each end. I see you have a guy line on the zipper end? I wasnt planning on running a guy line off the zipper ends. Do you see this being a mistake?

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
18 oz or 35 oz hypalon? Did you use two grommets in each of the hypalon reinforcement? What tool did you use for the grommets?

I'm halfway through a similar build. i have one side with all my reinforcements and zipper sewn on. Working on the second half now. Im doing the same design but a zipper on each end. I see you have a guy line on the zipper end? I wasnt planning on running a guy line off the zipper ends. Do you see this being a mistake?

I used 18 oz hypalon for the cones and 35 oz for the strips. I used one grommet in each reinforcement. I made an "X" out of the 35 oz hypalon strips and then installed the grommet through both pieces. I then cut out 18 oz hypalon circles and cut a slit so they could be formed into the cone shape. Then I sewed the "X" with the grommet into the cone. I used an Ozark Trail grommet kit from Wally World. It came with several grommets and the tools to install them. They no longer carry them but they can still be found.

The only reason I have a guy line on the zipper end is so I can unzip that side and roll up both door panels for total ventilation. I still have to sew on a little piece of Lawson cord to tie back the doors on each side.

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Great explanation! I never thought about rolling up both doors for total ventilation. In my mind i would always have one door staked down.

Thanks for the info!