My dogs first overnight trip

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
He'll be two in October. He goes everywhere with us. Started hiking at liberty with him when he was 4 months old. Has been on several camping expeditions, is a decent boat dog (bailed while we were moving last week, however), been deer hunting multiple times, accompanyied me on my first solo antelope hunt, and has yet to chase wild game (has chased a domestic cow or two). My OG hiking dog is 17 & doesn't get around very well anymore. She enjoys his company when he's home.20200215_142821.jpgKIMG3404.JPG

stdeb11

FNG
My dogs go everywhere with me as well...except big game. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to ohr retriever a few months back, but we have one great family/hiking dog still. First time I took them, I put their cord on the pole in my supertarp...they pulled my tent down about 2am, self-critiqueing.

Anybody bring their dogs big game hunting? How do you justify that to the game warden if you have a dog, but "hunting" with dogs isn't allowed? We're down to just one family dog, but I am picking up my DK in August and aside from upland, I would like to have him join me on big game hunts. My worry is, they can be trained to track game both scent and blood, so curious how fish and wildlife officer may view having a trained dog along on say a rifle Elk hunt. Any thoughts?

Also, I put orange on my husky year round, don't want some a-hole to argue they thought it was a yote/wolf and try to take a shot at it.
I've taken my lab with me big game hunting several times. Before each trip I've called the GW and told them, each time they have said no issue at all since he's just tagging along and not being used "to hunt". If anything, he makes the hunting more difficult. Never been stopped in the field with the dog tho.

OP
Dalen88

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
My dogs go everywhere with me as well...except big game. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to ohr retriever a few months back, but we have one great family/hiking dog still. First time I took them, I put their cord on the pole in my supertarp...they pulled my tent down about 2am, self-critiqueing.

Anybody bring their dogs big game hunting? How do you justify that to the game warden if you have a dog, but "hunting" with dogs isn't allowed? We're down to just one family dog, but I am picking up my DK in August and aside from upland, I would like to have him join me on big game hunts. My worry is, they can be trained to track game both scent and blood, so curious how fish and wildlife officer may view having a trained dog along on say a rifle Elk hunt. Any thoughts?

Also, I put orange on my husky year round, don't want some a-hole to argue they thought it was a yote/wolf and try to take a shot at it.
I will by taking my pup with me this year for rifle season, she has proven herself trustworthy so far around game. It isnt illegal here in B.C to bring your dog's on hunts

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken my lab with me big game hunting several times. Before each trip I've called the GW and told them, each time they have said no issue at all since he's just tagging along and not being used "to hunt". If anything, he makes the hunting more difficult. Never been stopped in the field with the dog tho.
Yes, he's not a real quiet companion...definitely makes it harder to get closer to animals. Lol. I think any game warden that came up on us & questioned us about him "helping" would soon realize he's not a "helper." He's a bit of a spaz, to be honest. Getting better, but certainly not a helper. Yet.

4rcgoat

WKR
Took my new pup on her first overnight stay in the Wyo high country last weekend, was anxious to see how she would do in a small tent. She did great curled up on a thin thermarest collapsible pad,biggest problem was the mosquitoes, they were terrible and drove us out early the next day

Attachments

• 20210711_083507.jpg
    20210711_083507.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 17

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I take my dog on almost every trip. He keeps his mouth shut way better than a human.

756ba05f93b96c1f8b7503c93a49d15c.jpg

eacfe8b514ba88756e9814ed821b776d.jpg

c31d0355a1ca8ed24ed744a07c6603a0.jpg

f6bedea4b3b9612dc1c76939d23718a5.jpg

166b344b90a268f9641346c7d3ea6f34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 8 yo Black Mouth Cur that goes everywhere with me including work. He has no issues with settling in wherever we are. With me, he has slept in my wall tent, horse trailer, buddies couch, several camp couches, hotels, my brothers couch, under my hammock while hiking high peaks, goes with me riding horseback, running rabbit hounds, on hog hunts down south..........Best buddy a guy could have. I got another Black Mouth Cur puppy this spring, hoping she follows suit.

I'm really interested in this as well but never done it because I wasn't sure the legality. I have a very athletic Lab that won't leave my side while hiking and she'd be a great companion for a rifle hunt I think. I sure wouldn't have to worry about bears, she'd easily keep them busy spinning in circles and run them off.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm really interested in this as well but never done it because I wasn't sure the legality. I have a very athletic Lab that won't leave my side while hiking and she'd be a great companion for a rifle hunt I think. I sure wouldn't have to worry about bears, she'd easily keep them busy spinning in circles and run them off.
Best I can tell, it doesn't say "no dogs" in the Colorado regs, it just says no dogs for baiting, luring, tracking, etc....paraphrasing, of course.

Rob5589

WKR
Great stuff. Unfortunately our current lab/gsd isn't a good traveling companion. He has terrible anxiety anywhere but a short walking distance from home. A recent camp trip he was so freaked out he didn't pee for 30+ hours and just whined and yelped the entire time. We ended up cutting it short to get him home and cancelled an upcoming camp trip. My last two labs loved travel and being out and about.

Best I can tell, it doesn't say "no dogs" in the Colorado regs, it just says no dogs for baiting, luring, tracking, etc....paraphrasing, of course.
That's what I'm worried about, she'll obviously be with me if I were to draw blood on an animal. It's a tough position to be in trying to prove that a hunting dog didn't assist me tracking the animal. Technically the burden of proof would be on the LEO to prove it did, however IME with game wardens that's often not the way it works.

Vandy321

WKR
That's what I'm worried about, she'll obviously be with me if I were to draw blood on an animal. It's a tough position to be in trying to prove that a hunting dog didn't assist me tracking the animal. Technically the burden of proof would be on the LEO to prove it did, however IME with game wardens that's often not the way it works.
I could be wrong, but you can use a dog to blood track downed game in CO...just not to track live big game? Anybody know know sure that can chime in??