My Dream: the Seed, Planning, and now Preparing for a Sheep Hunt... A Story and Documentation

I have thought about starting this a while ago, but I didn't know for sure if it would ever really happen. I've already made several steps in this journey at this point and will try to back up and start this from the beginning.

My story begins with going to the Backwoods Hunting and Fishing Expo in Oklahoma City with my dad this past March. We are walking down the aisles looking at what all there is to look at. We ran into the guide my dad has used twice for African game. We turn down another aisle and I spot a Dall Sheep mount hanging on a display. I said to my dad that I’ve always wanted to hunt sheep. I’ve always just thought it was totally out of my reach as far as the price range. That thought crossed my mind and I really moved to the opposite side of the aisle and was just going to walk on by. But something made me stop. I said to my dad that I wanted to just talk to the guy and see what it was like. Thinking that I was in no way going to be able to go on a sheep hunt, I didn’t want to take up too much of his time. We talked a little bit just about hunting sheep. Not really sure why or how, but the subject of the costs finally came up. I guess in my mind I’d have always heard of prices in the $50K range for going on a sheep hunt, so when he said he normally gets about $17K for a hunt but he had only one spot left for the coming August hunt and would take $15K I was set back a little. That wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. Still there was no way I could come up with that in so little time (much less a down payment on the spot) and then there was the getting in shape thing. We finished talking and the guide gave me his pamphlet and business card then dad and I moved on our way. We didn’t really talk about it much as we continued through the show, but it was in the back of my mind and the seed was planted.

OP
Silvereagle50
Dad and I finished walking through the show. He stopped and looked at several items, but my interest in most everything else was lost. It was hard to even concentrate on anything else but that mount of that Ram.

I was in the market for a new rifle at the time. I’ve always wanted something in the 300WM range. There was a gun show going on in the building next to the Expo building. We walked over and started looking around. Where I had been envisioning this 300wm as an Elk and Mule Deer rifle, I was now thinking it would be a rifle that I could take on a sheep hunt. Thinking this, I now knew that the rifle would need to be fairly light. More so probably than if it was just for Elk and such.

After getting back to dad’s house, I immediately got on my ipad and started searching this guide. I was able to find a little on him and it looked promising. (He had told me that he dropped his website because he felt his FaceBook page was doing fine for him) In my research I found a YouTube video that showed a client flying in a super cub. That, to me, looked really cool.

I continued looking at all the sheep hunting info that I could find late into that night. After what ended up as a restless night, I drove home the next day. Thinking about sheep all the way home. Guess it was a good thing it didn’t put me to sleep on the way home.

OP
Silvereagle50
A Little Background:

I have lived in Oklahoma all my life. I grew up hunting and fishing and at the age of now 54, time is running out on hunting for anything that is a very physical hunt. I have been a teacher now for some 27 years. I also have had a few stints in coaching anything and everything at several small schools in Oklahoma but mostly football and basketball. I mention that mostly to show that I don’t make a lot of money. I usually have 1-3 other part time or summer jobs going all the time to help fund my hobbies like hunting, fishing riding my Harley, etc.

I hunt whitetail deer every year and have had my share of luck with them. I have also hunted Colorado for Elk and Mule deer a few times, but that was way back when I was a kid. My dad took me on a hunt about 10 years ago after my first wife passed from breast cancer. It was an elk hunt on a high fence ranch in North Dakota where both he and I killed some nice bulls (413” & 365”)

I really feel like I’m making this happen at a time that isn’t all that great since I still teach and it’s hard to take off from teaching (they think everything in life happens in the summer). But I learned from losing my wife that you are not guaranteed tomorrow. I don’t know if I would be able to do an Alaskan Sheep hunt 5 or more years from now once I’m eligible for retirement. So now or never.

OP
Silvereagle50
Back to the Sheep hunt planning:

Over the past several months I have scoured the internet looking at everything I can find about sheep hunting. It’s one of the main reasons I found and check out Rokslide on a daily basis. Some of you may have seen the many questions I’ve posted about various things from: how to pack for the airlines, what boots or backpacks and I’m sure many more. From my research, I have created a list of the various things I would need to acquire for this hunt. (see attached)

The big issue with this is that I have very little equipment needed for a hunt like this. So there is a lot that I need to purchase. Hunting Oklahoma whitetails doesn’t require the best of boots or the lightest of hunting clothes. We for sure don’t need backpacks of 6000+ cu.in. or the ability to haul the meat and cape (I normally just ride a 4 wheeler to where it’s at and load it up,, no dragging much less packing it out). As I’m sure you are aware, this list is extensive and I basically had none of it.

At this time, I have already acquired a pretty good chunk of the list as you can see from the “x” marks on the attached list. I’m a bit OCD about things and when I start something, I’m all in. I have purchased most everything either second hand or when I find it on sale. For the time being, I have about purchased all I can financially at this point, but there is lots of time left to get these things. Especially with some of the bigger ticket items, I’m hoping to pick up some of these used here on the forum as I have some of the items I already have. I really hate to have to drop $3-500 for a tent or sleeping bag I’ll only use one week. But that’s something I’ll have to do. After the hunt, I’ll recoup some of my money by selling it to the next guy that may take it on a sheep hunt.

OP
Silvereagle50
Sheep Shape:

One of the biggest things I’ve learned about sheep hunting is being in shape, both physically and mentally. The mental thing I think I can handle. Not really sure what you can do to physically do or train for to get in mental shape, so if someone has any ideas there please let me know.

Getting into good physical shape is going to be my biggest hurdle. I’ve let myself go over the years and huff and puff if I have to drag a deer 50 yards or walk up much of a hill. I have terrible ankles from tearing them to pieces playing football and basketball as a kid. I blew out my ACL several years ago coaching basketball. I have all kinds of aches and pains as any 50+ year old would have. Not making excuses at all, I have no “quit” in me. I’ll be ready to climb the highest mountain to attain this goal.

I’m 5’10” and turned 54 two days ago. I would guess that I weighed about 248 pounds and a tape around my midsection showed 49.5” (so one helluva beer gut) the day I talked to that guide in OKC this past March. Instead of teaching Dr. Ed. this past summer, I got a job where I had to do some physical labor and was out in the heat every day sometimes 12-14 hours a day. I actually kind of enjoyed it, but I also knew it was a start in getting in better shape. This morning I weighed 224.4 pounds and the tape said 46”.

I haven’t done a whole lot yet for physical training, but that will come. I plan to walk more during deer season this year and not look for the easy way. I plan to start walking every day and build up somewhat slowly. I live in the mountainous area of Oklahoma (well that is what we call it here, not really mountains though) and plan to do lots of hiking up and down the mountains in the future.

A good buddy of mine that is going with me on this hunt asked me what my goals were as far as weight loss and such. I figured it would be best to go in steps. I told him my first goal was 225. I reached that TODAY. My second goal is 210. I’m hoping to get to that by the first of the year if the holidays don’t hold me back anyway. I love food and love eating lots of it and the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays brings about some of my favorites.

I’m not really sure what my end goal should be. I’m thinking that somewhere in that 200-210 area would be ok. At that weight, I feel like if I can get my legs to climb the mountains here and hit the Stairmaster at the gym enough, it should put me in a good spot.

I will post here from time to time with where I’m at with my weight and my physical training regime.

OP
Silvereagle50
I guess this site won't allow you to attach a microsoft word document or excel sheet.
So having a hard time trying to figure out how to post my list of items needed.

OP
Silvereagle50
Clothing
Layers:
Cost:
Wt.
Socks:Darn Toughx5
$80​
x​
Undies:First Litex3
x​
Base:First Lite Merino Wool Top SS
First Lite Merino Wool Top LS
x​
Kuiu Merino 145 Zip-off pant
x​
Core:
Tops:Sitka lightweight crew - LS
$35​
5​
x​
Sitka Mid Wt Zip-T
$45​
10​
x​
Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody
17​
Sitka Active Jacket
$145​
13.8​
x​
Pants:Stitka Mountain Pant
$50​
26.2​
x​
Sitka Timberline Pant
$50​
29.6​
x​
Sitka Traverse Pant
$50​
14.6​
x​
Outerwear:
Puffy JacketKuiu Super Down
$299​
Jacket:Sitka Jetstream
$165​
25.4​
Vest:Sitka Kelvin Lite
$85​
10.5​
Rain Gear:
Kuiu Chugach NX Rain Jacket
$299​
17​
Kuiu Chugach NX Rain Pants
$249​
13​
Gaiters:Kenetrek, Kuiu, First Lite,…???
$99​
Gloves:Sitka ascent glove
$40​
1.25​
x​
Sitka Traverse glove
$35​
Head:beanie
$16​
heavy weight balaclava
Hat: Sitka,Kuiu, etc.
Total Wt.
Total:
$1,662​
183.35​

OP
Silvereagle50
Equipment
Cost:
Boots:CrispiNevada
$329​
x
Gun:Kimber Montana 280ai
$925​
x
Razor HD LH
$400​
x
Optics
Binos:VortexRazor HD10x42
$750​
x
Spotter:Vortex Razor
$500​
x
Tri-Pod:Vortex Summit Carbon
$150​
x
Packs
Stone GlacierSky Talus 6900
$525​
x
Duffel BagKuiu, REI or Cabelas?
Carry-on bagbackpack
Misc.
Sleeping Bag/Quilt
Gun CasePelican, Plano,…???
Trekking Poles(amazon vs. expensive??)
Hip boots/wadersWiggy's Light waders
$80​
Water proof bags
Compression sacks
Camp Shoes
Platypus-KUIU Hoser3.9oz.
$27.95​
Therma-Rest Sleep PadPro-Lite Apex
$139​
Therma-Rest Ridgerest pad
$29.95​
Camp ChairHelinox Chair 2
$129​
Head LampPetzl Tactika RGB
$59.95​
Bino Case
Nalgene Water bottles
Glacier socks
Total:
$2,391​

CHSD

WKR
I am happy for you! As a fellow teacher and coach this gives me hope that I will be able to do some of the hunts I want to do in the future! You are so right that the education fields thinks life only happens in the summer!! I hope to some day be out chasing elk, just a struggle between continuing to coach football or give it up and do the dream hunts. Enjoy the process of planning for your trip!

OP
Silvereagle50
So to bring us up to today:

I would think that what I’ve posted so far is a pretty good representative of what I’ve been through up until this week. I have a real good buddy here that I’ve hunted and fished with some. He has a lot of the stuff that you need to go and do a hunt like this, so I’ve been able to go up and look at some of his stuff, try some on, see what I liked and didn’t like. Where I live, there is not a place within 400 miles to go look at Crispi or Kenetrek boots, Stone Glacier or Exo backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, etc., etc. So he has really helped me out in that regard. Through all of our discussions he finally came out and said he’d like to go on a sheep hunt too. I shared the info about the guide I was looking at and he was ok with him as well. That changed my plans a little because I was looking at going this next season (2020). But he couldn’t go then because he already had an African hunt planned for late July/early august for then. I thought it would be pretty cool to share this adventure with someone rather than go it alone, so I told him I would wait and go in 2021 if he was all in.

His stepson popped into the shop one day when we were out there messing around with stuff. He quizzed us about what we were planning and was interested as well. After my buddy and his son going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland a few weeks later, his son was really interested in going as well if there was still a spot open.

So this past Tuesday, November 5th (my 54th bday), I called and talked to the guide. We are now booked for his second hunt for 2021. By my math, I’m thinking that our hunt will start Friday August 20 and we will board a plane from Dallas, Tx. on Wednesday the 18th.

I need one of those countdown calendars…

OP
Silvereagle50
Received an email from KUIU this week. Biggest sale of the whole year- up to 50% off.

So I picked up a few items. 11 actually. I picked out a few random pieces and then some of the organizational type bags. The only big item that was on my list to get was the Super Down Pro Hooded jacket. Got it for $299 which is $100 or 25% off.

As I have said, I have the Kimber Montana in 280ai already for this hunt. But I have recently picked up a Remington Model 7 in 300 Saum. I’ve wanted this gun for about a year now. If I can get it to shoot as well as the Kimber, I could see me taking it on the sheep hunt. It’s not going to be as light as the Kimber (6.62#) , but it’s my new baby. Outfitted her in a new B&C stock and installed a Timney trigger last night. She lost a little weight in the process and I’m hoping that these upgrades help her shoot better.

I have 3 different factory loads (Nosler, Hornady, HSM) waiting for me at home to try out this evening. Deer season starts here in Oklahoma soon, so I will be able to give her a good test in the hunting department soon. The wife and I will be spending the weekend up at our deer camp this weekend. I’m hoping to maybe run into some of the wild hogs that roam around up there for a good test as well.