My Elk Hunting Pack List

Savage99

WKR
I don’t think the kind of person who plays the what if game can go in at 38 pounds. The kind of people that carry crazy EDC stuff probably aren’t cut out for backpack hunting. I think if you’re really going in for multi day backpack hunting, you’re going to have to compromise and take some risks. I typically go with 55-60 pounds, and I’m a risk taker that doesn’t worry about what if.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is playing the what if game? Carrying a few things to stop bleeding doesn’t weight much. That’s probably the only difference in the OP’s list and mine. And, he does have a clotting agent.

If it was me, sorry I triggered you. I could see how the later part of my post wasn’t as clear as I meant. The part about more stuff than I know how to use would be for a kit in the car.

Who is playing the what if game? Carrying a few things to stop bleeding doesn’t weight much. That’s probably the only difference in the OP’s list and mine. And, he does have a clotting agent.

If it was me, sorry I triggered you. I could see how the later part of my post wasn’t as clear as I meant. The part about more stuff than I know how to use would be for a kit in the car.

Got it.
Sorry if I offended you. It wasn’t my intention. I just want to be clear to new people that less is usually better. Whenever I go with new people, I’m usually trying to talk them out of bringing stuff. The anticipation of the trip leads to dreaming up ideas and buying extra shit that you feel like you have to take. I know this because I have to talk myself out of it at time also.

Prestjd

FNG
I'm not OP, but I'll add my two cents as I used this tent for 3 months straight. My Copper Spur UL 2 has withstood 6 inches of snow overnight, 40 mph gusts and plenty of rain. It would look brand new if not for some stains. I am really impressed with this tent.
That's impressive. I may have to look into one

Jcros

FNG
Great list, I am around that mark, just gave up the bino harness, since we are in timber all the time, I gave up the binos. I hope I don't end up regretting that.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Any logic behind this statement or are you just puffing out your chest?

It's pretty well accepted in the mountaineering community that fast and light is safer then taking extra gear for what ifs. Obviously hunting doesnt have the same dangers like rock and ice fall but you are much less likely to fall with a 35lb pack then 50lb. The fall would also be less severe most likely. I am sure there are other similar examples such as being able to move faster in lightning storm if above treeline etc. I always like the idea of light and fast but always like some of the comforts especially real food so my pack ends up heavier.

Trr15

WKR
It's pretty well accepted in the mountaineering community that fast and light is safer then taking extra gear for what ifs. Obviously hunting doesnt have the same dangers like rock and ice fall but you are much less likely to fall with a 35lb pack then 50lb. The fall would also be less severe most likely. I am sure there are other similar examples such as being able to move faster in lightning storm if above treeline etc. I always like the idea of light and fast but always like some of the comforts especially real food so my pack ends up heavier.
I understand, and agree completely. Just to clarify though, that isn't really a rebuttal to the question I posted. Maybe you quoted the wrong post or the context got lost throughout the thread. No worries either way.

With everyone else posting about their pack list I figured I will post my list too. I am planning my hunt for the upcoming season. I have been doing this for a while so I’ve shrunk my supplies from year to year. This is what I’ve got for a 10 day hunt.

Hunting Gear:
Kuiu Icon Pro 7200, with 2 hip pouches & 100oz water bladder
Bowtech Bow w/ QAD Rest, Trophy Ridge 5 pin Sight, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tric Magnum 125 gr broadheads
HornHunter Bino Pouch
Vortex Diamondback 10X42 Binos
Archers Choice Rangefinder
Wind Checker Bottle
Garmin 62S with downloaded maps
Trekking Poles
Petzl Headlamp
Micro Mag Flashlight
Rocky Mountain Bugle Tube w/ assorted reeds
Sig Sauer P245 45 cal Compact Pistol
Camp/Sleeping:
Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2
Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 Degree Sleeping Bag
Big Agnes Q Core SL Pad
Sea to Summit Pillow
Cooking:
MSR Pocket Rocket 2
GSI Cooking Pot
Sea to Summit Titanium Spork
Salt/Pepper
2 Lighters w/ duct tape
H20:
Sawyer In line Filter
Squeeze water bottle
MSD Drom 3 liter Water Storage
Water Filtration Tablets
Kill Kit:
Caribou Game Bags
Havalon Piranta Knife
with replacement blades
2 Pair Latex Gloves
Zipties
Fluorescent Pink Ribbon
Extras:
Small 1st Aid kit w/ bandages, clot agent, suture kit, Tylenol, sinus pills, etc
Tooth Paste and Brush
Wet Wipes
Cell Phone w/ AA battery charger, spare batteries.
Seam Seal Tent Repair
Clothes:
Kuiu Pants, Shirts, Lightweight Jacket, Superdown Coat, gloves, Beanie
Wool Socks
Lows Tibet GTX Boots
Kuiu Gaiters
Food:
Breakfast:
Oatmeal
Coffee
Cliff Gel Espresso
MCT Oil
Lunch:
Bacon Tortilla Justin’s Maple Almond Butter
Tuna Packet
Snacks:
ProBars
RxBars
Honey Stingers w/ Choc/Hazelnut Butter
GORP
Dinner:
Alpine Aire assorted Dinners
Protein Shake
MCT Oil

All together with 5 days of food and a full water bladder, my packs weighs around 38 pounds. If I find elk, I will stay in that area and come out once to reshoot with food. If not I will move around and reshoot as needed. What do y’all think?

How cold are the temps at night? Wondering how well your sleep system is in colder weather.

Great list, thanks!

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all logic. As I mentioned, my pack is heavier than the OP. So I interpret that as he being better at this than me. My point about being a risk taker is that, if you’re a prepper type that thinks you need a tourniquet to go to Walmart you’re probably not going to get your pack down to a realistic weight. So for all the people that want to comment on the OP’s lightweight setup and start suggesting adding just in case stuff, remember that their are people on here that are trying to get into this and are looking for real advice. They don’t need hypothetical talk from people that don’t do it. They’re probably going to pack more than they can handle anyway, so don’t encourage them to take more. They don’t need a tourniquet and nobody needs a tourniquet to go to Walmart. The world is not an evil place where everyone is out to get you. That’s not a healthy way to go through life.

I would say you are about 100 times more likely to need your tourniquet in town than in the backcountry. I don’t pack one for hunting, but it’s honestly not a bad idea to have one close while running around town. Depending on where you live of course. My opinion may be biased. I have been on the scene in the immediate aftermath of an active shooter incident. But that’s beside the point.

Bottom line, no I don’t pack one in the backcountry, and I don’t encourage others to do so either.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Another big one for new guys, and I still do it myself, is food.

I packed three days of food in a bag for a recent hunt, and had more food packed in a separate bag to refit from, or eat while at camp. Somehow the “3 days of food” lasted 5 days easily. I found that I simply do not eat three full meals a day out there. I have a hot meal every night, but much of my midday foods are things I can just snack on while glassing. Steve’s Paleo Kits are great. Not cooking a breakfast saves lots of time in the morning too.

ridgefire

WKR
You pack about the same as I do but I always carry some chapstick and I would throw in another couple of blades for your knife. I would also swap the flashlight for another headlamp.

OP
MooseKnuckle
I have chapstick, sun screen and hand sanitizer in my 1st aid pouch. All travel size. And extra blades for my knife in my kill kit. As for the flashlight, I hang it in my tent for lighting at night. Small, about 1 1/2” long and runs on 1 AAA battery. Very lightweight.

Obviously there are a few small items left off my list that I forgot to post.