My Experience: 12x binos vs 50mm spotter

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
So, I did a field test over this past season and wanted to report my findings. Keep in mind, this is just according to my eyes and others’ experiences might be totally different.

I have messed around with spotters a bit over the past few years but never really liked them that much. I’ll own it right now that I have never spent top dollar. But, I also never cared for squinting through one eye and packing the extra weight. A lot of the country I hunt is big and lends itself to lots of glassing. I have always run 10x Leupold binos and have really enjoyed them. A few years ago I started using them on my tripod and really prefer that method. Last year I got to looking into 12’s thinking it might give me some of what I would like a spotter to deliver, but not require packing an additional optic. I ended up with the Maven C3 12x50’s. (Gotta say I am pretty happy with the Mavens.)

I did quite a bit of scouting this summer and after my second trip I was really liking the 12’s but also still found myself wanting a closer look. So, I shopped for a spotter again and picked up a Nikon ED50, which is great glass, far better than anything I used previously. After a few more scouting trips and some hunting trips with the ED50 I came to the conclusion that the 50mm spotter, even at 30x gave me the same image as my 12x binos. I am assuming this is because of the two objectives and function of the binos vs the spotter. So, I will no longer be going down the rabbit hole of 50mm spotters. However, I still want a closer look.

That got me thinking about 15x binos, wondering if I might have a similar experience between 15x binos and a 65mm spotter. I went to Cabelas yesterday and looked through my Mavens, the Vortex Kaibabs, and the Vortex Vultures, all off a tripod. I compared them to a 65mm Razor on a tripod (obviously). To my eyes, 15x binos and 12x binos provide the same image as the spotter up to 30x. However, after that, the spotter wins for image and detail. Definite benefits to a spotter vs binos in that case. As a side note, I found the Mavens to be much sharper than both of the Vortex binos. The only slight complaint I have with the C3’s is the edge-to-edge clarity isn’t the best. But, it is good enough for me.

So, I am probably going to be shopping spotters a bit this next year. My dream glass would be the Swarovski BTX eyepiece on a Swaro 65 or 85, but that is way out of my price range. That one would solve my loathing of squinting through a spotter.

Just thought I would share my experience.

NoWiser

WKR
You would be very well served to call Doug at Cameraland and discuss this with him. For what it's worth, I bought a used Kowa 664 spotter last year and am quite happy with it. It's not quite Swaro grade, but its nicer than most others I have looked through and the price was right.

prm

WKR
Interesting. I am weighing using my 11-33 spotter vs. some 12x, or possibly 15x binos. ...or getting a Kowa 15-45.

Last edited:

w squared

FNG
Have you considered a doubler for use with 12X50 or 15X56 binos? Using both eyes when glassing an area, and then if you need extra detail step up to 24X or 30X with the doubler on one lens?

I don't have any first hand experience running a doubler and I'm wary of them because every lens adds a cost in terms of light loss and potential for distortion....but it's certainly an attractive idea in terms of saving pounds.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I started my big glass journey with a vortex razor 11-33 spotter, spent many a day glassing behind it squinting, learning how to use one eye etc. just recently got the meopta 15s and they are a huge improvement, can spend more time and way less eye fatigue. I kinda kick myself for not getting the bigger Binos right away

HenRun

FNG
A friend has the Razor 11-33 and it is a great little spotter!
I have the Meopta 15x56 B1 plus HD and prior to that I ordered the Kowa 553 15-45 which I returned, thought them too expensive and I am more of a binocular buy. I prefer using the Meopta with both eyes, great binoculars. For the money the Razor 11-33 is very hard to beat. I have only seen one sample so I can't say if there is any major sample variation but the sample my friend got is great.

Kentk

FNG
I have been debating the weight of a spotter for a while now and just made the decision to get a 50mm razor. Now you got me second guessing that decision.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Using both eyes open is often better than even higher power optics. You see this also with astronomy scopes where a bino viewer allowing you to use both eyes can resolve more detail than a higher quality single eyepiece can. The human brain is used to using two eyes.

It's entirely possible you perceive higher detail at 15x vs. 30x in a spotter just because you are also more relaxed not having to keep an eye shut, etc. also.

I own a pair of Canon Image Stabilized 15x50 binos that I've considered taking hunting vs binos and spotter. They use two AA batteries and are rubberized to resist bad weather. You don't need a tripod with them either. They are weighty, but less weight than binos, spotter and tripod together for sure. Something to think about. They make an 18X version also which I think would be pretty awesome vs. a spotter but at 18X not the best for closer work.

Last edited:
Same boat... been debating the 50 vs 65 spotter and 8x to only a high end 12x(el). It’s hard to make up my mind with all the great reviews for both kinds of set ups!

mtodd

FNG
I used Vortex Razor UHD 18X56 binoculars last season vs my spotting scope. I was surprised just how well I could see.