My experience with MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe vs: Soto Windmaster

OP
backcountryshaffer
If anything, typically wider pots will boil faster then tall skinny pots. So I would hazard a guess that this test was skewed in favour of the Evernew pot. Though any testing I've done has always been at sea level, which doesnt always correlate to elevation.
Agreed, you'd think the wider pot would have an advantage. But the hacked tall skinny with heat exchanger proved superior. @davescarp

tdot

WKR
Agreed, you'd think the wider pot would have an advantage. But the hacked tall skinny with heat exchanger proved superior. @davescarp

Sorry, wasnt doubting your results or anything. I was just talking about the pot shape, ignoring the heat exchanger. So I think its doubly impressive that the tall skinny pot was so much faster, as inherently that shape is less efficient then the wider pots. Clearly the heat exchanger makes a significant difference.

Thanks again for the test. I'm just in the process of reviewing my cook kit for a bigger trip and the extra efficiency of a finned pot could move me into smaller or fewer fuel cans.

I need to test with 400ml to compare to your results.

If you don't want to worry about cutting up a JB pot, just get an Olicamp XTS pot and modify it to try. You can always fashion a removable koozie if need be. Those pots are pretty cheap, around $20 and about 6oz or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just ordered one, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
backcountryshaffer
Do you have a thread or anything that explains exactly what you have done here and how to do it? I don’t have one of these canister stoves and I’m thinking about getting one. I’d like to get one and pimp it out for next year.
I don't know if there is a post on the act of the hacking. I just set my stove on the inverted pot and marked where the supports hit the heat exchanger, then used a dremel for the cutaways. My buddy did it with his olicamp pot and posted a video on the results.

TheCougar

WKR
I don't know if there is a post on the act of the hacking. I just set my stove on the inverted pot and marked where the supports hit the heat exchanger, then used a dremel for the cutaways. My buddy did it with his olicamp pot and posted a video on the results.
I looked all over the place and couldn’t find that primus pot you were using. I guess it’s part of a system only, which I can get for $60 or so and discard the burner. Is the primus pot much better than the Olicamp? The Olicamp is about $30. Any other heat exchanger pots I should consider to nest a PR Deluxe and canister? I’m looking at 1L pots only. It was really nice last year when I was tired and cold to get a cup of hot coffee and food Instead of another bar... thanks.

You ever get that XTS pot to play around with?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I just picked it up the other day at the P.O. and then immediately placed it in quaranteen. I'll let you know in about 14 days. :) All joking aside, I did get it, but I haven't had an opportunity to test it out yet. The feet on my little BRS stove easily fit between the fins of the pot, so I won't have to do any mods to it regarding that, but it is big at over 32 oz., and it weighs 7.9 oz. (including the lid), on my scale, so I am contemplating cutting it down some, but I don't know. Pro's and con's to both I guess. I will be testing it out against my other pots though, just to see the real difference regarding efficiency.

OP
backcountryshaffer
I looked all over the place and couldn’t find that primus pot you were using. I guess it’s part of a system only, which I can get for $60 or so and discard the burner. Is the primus pot much better than the Olicamp? The Olicamp is about $30. Any other heat exchanger pots I should consider to nest a PR Deluxe and canister? I’m looking at 1L pots only. It was really nice last year when I was tired and cold to get a cup of hot coffee and food Instead of another bar... thanks.
Oh yes, sorry. We've just been hacking at pots that we had laying around. I've done 2 primus pots that were a part of a system that got hacked to work with a mini stove.