My experience with the outfitter Tim Nelson Alaska Guide service

Tim Nelson Alaska Guide Service is who I used. I booked through WTA.
So in a previous post I talked about the issues I had on a brooks range moose and grizzly hunt.
I was hesitant to post the outfitter because he was not there for the hunt as I hunted with a guide. i thought I’d give him the opportunity to talk to me. I reached out a few days after arriving home and cooling off to tell him my concerns. So I called and left a voicemail asking him to call me to help me close out my harvest ticket as the Guide had requested I do when I got back. My thoughts where I’ll close out the report and then have a civil conversation about the events that occurred. Days went by and I heard nothing so I decided heck with it I’ll Shoot him a email he had mentioned that’s better for him in pre hunt communications. I was very cordial in the email and told him all the things I was grateful for and explained my concerns of the trip and that I thought he would want to be aware of what happen and how I was unsatisfied with the lack of effort and possible choices made to harvest game But again grateful for the adventure.
10 days later I get a call from him but my phone only rang once and no voicemail was left. So I called him back with no answer. So I shot him another email this one saying I’m sorry I missed his call And that I had talked to game and fish and told them the rivers I was on so they could tell me the district and close out my harvest report and I wished him the best in his endeavors. I again told him I was grateful for the adventure but wish it had gone much different and not all in the harvesting aspect.
Im not the type of guy that just gets ugly, that just isn’t going to get me any where. However the weirdest thing happen when I email him from a previous email thread from pre hunt communication. I get a message saying his email isn’t valid. Now I’m probably wrong but I cant help but think he has blocked my email. I also can’t help but think he accidentally dialed my number to block me on his phone
so I sent another email from a different account and didn’t get a error message.
im probably over thinking it but thought that was strange.

So to sum it up, hunts can go south, game can be non existen, weather brutal, things not go as planned. However you should never leave a hunt feeling like you didn’t try. The hunter should not have to try to cheer up the guide everyday to try to get him to do anything but sit and mope.
most importantly if your hunter no matter if it’s a $250.00 a day deer hunt or $24,000 moose hunt calls or emails to talk to you. You call the hunter back. If he cusses you and hangs up you take it. if he just wants to vent you listen and you take it.
You don’t go dark on your hunter pre or post.

FYI he books on Book A Hunt, through his website and or WTA uses him.
I read his reviews on Book a hunt and all good. I got references for WTA and all good on them putting you with good outfitters That have been vetted. I talked with two other hunters about using WTA. Both said they use them again. One who I met on this forum said he would use them again but there not real helpful once they get your money. I found this to be true and what I mean was I would email a question pre payment and rep since same day. Post payment they where a lot shorter responses and spaced out further then I thought was acceptable.
I used Mat Gildrof (spelling is wrong) I also emailed him about my hunt where I got a quick response about 30 min later saying he was so sorry and would call me to discuss more that week.
7 days later I reached back out asking if he forgot about me as I was just curious his thoughts.
he emailed back and said he was calling the outfitter that day and would call me Right after.
l’ve heard nothing soo….
my new favorite thing is to tell people how awesome my trip was and then come up with less painful ways to explain why I didn’t kill anything or bring any meat home.
telling them I only hunted 4-6 hrs a day because it’s cold just doesn’t end With gotcha. Always why?

Attachments

• 760EA0E1-CB10-4122-87DF-B9EE19EEC673.png
    760EA0E1-CB10-4122-87DF-B9EE19EEC673.png
    210 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Very sorry you had to experience the negative side of expensive guided hunts. That business is no different than many other small contractors, with some (fortunately few) being unscrupulous or even fraudulent. For the record I'm saying nothing about this outfitter directly as I have no proof or knowledge. Sometimes an outfitter wants to dodge questions and avoid solving problems after a hunt. I suppose we all have our ways of dealing with such things, and it likely depends on one's level of determination going forward.

Last edited:
I've been looking at Alaskan moose and grizzly hunts but am concerned about having an experience like yours. I've been to Alaska and love it but can do a camping trip for a lot less!!!!

My first guided hunt was booked thru WTA. Great service and response before booking, then after our deposit was paid crickets to our questions. Hope they give you some type of response or future deal!

Hey man - I was wondering how this went after I read your initial post about your bad experience. And I will say that, before someone else comes along to try and stir the pot, it really appears that you have a valid case to feel like you got shorted on the quality of your trip and your have also gone the extra mile to try and resolve it. This is a sucky outcome, and there's likely not much of anything you can do at this point. Thank you for being transparent regarding the outfitter, as this may prevent someone else from getting burned in the future. Best of luck to you on future hunts.

OP
S
Found his website.

And an email address.

[email protected]
Thats email
I used before hunt and now after.
unfortunately its not working on my end. Maybe he is off in the wilderness somewhere and will respond. I don’t expect a new hunt, or money. However a conversation about the event would be. Ice. From him or WTA

Just to clarify: I'm not concluding anything about the outfitter. I've learned to be open-minded and see what (if anything) develops. I did a brief search on Mr Nelson's guiding business and I failed to turn up any pattern of negative reviews or issues. No negatives per the BBB. I may have missed something of course.

OP
S
Just to clarify: I'm not concluding anything about the outfitter. I've learned to be open-minded and see what (if anything) develops. I did a brief search on Mr Nelson's guiding business and I failed to turn up any pattern of negative reviews or issues. No negatives per the BBB. I may have missed something of course.
I didn’t either. Which i looked extensively before i went. Had great reviews.

Finding a Outfitter for a once in a life time experience is half the battle now and the other half is the guide. Guides will make or break trip. I don’t do very many guided hunts but have seen outfitters struggling with guides and filling holes with unproven or not familiar with guides. Big gamble with someone else’s hard earned money and dream.

Last edited:
I would not rely on BBB ratings for anything, its a pay for play system. There are legit, good companies that are accredited (paying members) and are fine to do businesses with, but paying members can also have negative reviews removed. They will not remove negative reviews from businesses that don’t pay to be in their accredited program. And I’m being nice here, I actually think the BBB is exactly what they pretend to be protecting against.