My eye relief

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any reason to think that my eye relief is not set properly? I just had my scope mounted and from what I can tell, it seems correct. No black out on the edges or anything. Haven’t shot it yet but my buddy has me worried about proper eye relief. I’m Not sure if there any immediate indicators that would tell me the eye relief was off before hitting the range?

Eye relief is static, not adjustable, so maybe you two are talking about the distance from your eyeball to the ocular lens? Did your friend suggest the scope is mounted too close? Too far?

There is also "eye box", which is also static. Every scope has an eye box, which is a small range of distance where your eyeball must be when viewing through the scope lens. Some eye boxes are more forgiving than others, and the size of the box decreases as variable power increases.

There is also ocular lens focus, which determines the sharpness of the reticle. Did you focus the ocular lens?

Hope this helps!

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Well he was just asking about the distance of my eyeball to the objective being important. I’m an archery guy and picking up the rifle this year for some mule deer action.

I’m running a vortex razor on my Bergara 6.5cm. When I get my cheekweld right, everything is crisp and clear. Even when I blink and look away and come back to the scope. It seems right but I wanted to ask the community here if there was something that I was missing here?

WCB

WKR
Well he was just asking about the distance of my eyeball to the objective being important. I’m an archery guy and picking up the rifle this year for some mule deer action.

I’m running a vortex razor on my Bergara 6.5cm. When I get my cheekweld right, everything is crisp and clear. Even when I blink and look away and come back to the scope. It seems right but I wanted to ask the community here if there was something that I was missing here?
If you are shouldering the rifle with your face naturally on the stock and everything lines up good you are fine. You want to try this in various positions. Standing vs sitting vs laying down IMO and experience will change this along with whether your scope is on high or low magnification. Take into consideration also clothing as this will change rifle fit also.

Make sure you are not reaching your neck out or pulling back with your head.

Overdrive

WKR
Sounds like you're set pretty good with your eye relief as you described, I'd say the average eye relief is somewhere around 4" from the scope (give or take) you'll know if your too close because you may get scoped across your eyebrow. I wouldn't over think it.

archp625

WKR
Here is how I set my eye relief on all my rifles. I mount the rifle as if I am going to shoot it and get comfortable, like real comfortable. While doing this my eyes are closed. Once I get to the point of comfort I open up my eyes. If I have to move my head its not set correct. You want to be able to get comfortable on the rifle and not have to move your head. The issue I see most guys have is height. They will get comfortable on the rifle then have to lift their head up. I also set the power of the scope to the highest power I would shot it at. Which for me is usually all the way up. Do not do this on the lowest power.