My favorite Low Fat Salad Dressing

unm1136

WKR
I use this stuff on salads, I had it last night drizzled over rare buffalo steaks, and it is good on seafood, raw or cooked. It is almost paleo compliant (important now that I am waiting for results of Celiac Blood tests). I used gluten free tamari sauce in place of the dark soy sauce. Soy sauce of some sort is still kinda mandatory. I frequently leave out the mirin, because it is not something I keep on hand in the house. I have also made this with just a single citrus and no vinegar. It is a really easy recipe to play with. Bonito, soyish sauce and some sort of acid are the only givens.

Japanese ponzu sauce, from Petersen's Sauces

1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
(fresh squeezed is always better)
2 T Rice wine or sherry vinegar
2 T Mirin
1/2 cup dark Japanese soy sauce
1 cup (1/4 oz or 7 grams) bonito flakes (check ethnic/oriental markets, or Whole Foods. The last package I got was 10 3g packets for about $5.00)

Combine all ingredients in stainless steel or glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temp for 24 hours. Strain the Bonito out (or leave it in, but it tends to clump. It is dried smoked tuna) This gets better the longer it sits, and reports have been that it can be used up to a year after making. Strain and store in a bottle in the fridge. I usually triple the recipe.

Since there is no oil, it doesn't stick to salad leaves too well, so you don't need alot of it. It will leave a thin film on the food you put it on. If you are not on a low fat diet, you can use it to replace the vinegar in a standard vinaigrette. When I do that I alter the ratio from 3:1 oil to vinegar to about 1:1 and get much better coverage on the salad.

pat

Mike 338

WKR
Collecting ants, pinching off the heads and squishing them onto things tastes like an Italian dressing too.

OP
unm1136

unm1136

WKR
Sorry you didn't like it. I had a seaweed salad in Tokyo with this, I think they added some sugar to it, and it was AWESOME. I was pleased to find the recipe, and it is fantastic on any salad you are going to use smoked or grilled meats, cheeses, or vegetables in. Add some red pepper flakes and fresh chopped garlic and you have a basic marinade.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread, though.

pat

OP
unm1136

unm1136

WKR
I don't like my ants fresh, I like them dry roasted, and eaten straight or in a chocolate bar. Kind like a nestle crunch or Krackle bar.

pat