My first big game rifle

STAGHOUND

FNG
Part of my birthday present along with performing well with my grades was that I got my first bigger game rifle. We had a look at all the calibers and we decided to go with a .270, as it is the minimum caliber for samba and red deer here in Australia. There was a lot of good options to choose from .308, .300winmag, .7mm rem but in the end we decided to go with the .270 as it shoots flat, hits hard and has some history behind it, and would recoil less than the magnum calibers.

We are going to load Speer 150gr hot-cor's as a general all round load for deer and pigs at closer ranges and down the track we may also look for a load with the Berger 150gr vld's.

The build consists of:
Viper PST gen1 2.5-10x32 Milrad turrets and FFP
Bergara B14 sporter .270
Talley LW rings
This comes in at 8.36 pounds we thought it best not to go too light for my first big game rifle as they can be a little harder to shoot.

Attachments

• Begura.jpg
    Begura.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56
Congratulations on a super great all around caliber and excellent bullet weight for that caliber. You won't be disappointed. Happy Birthday!

ptmn

FNG
Not only is that a great choice in equipment and caliber, but it's also an awesome birthday present!

I remember when my wife was still my girlfriend/fiance and I used to get cool gifts like pistols and custom knives. Once we got married, the gifts turned into socks, t-shirts, underwear, etc.

wrightjr

FNG
Congrats on the new rifle and your accomplishments. Enjoy it and learn all that you can, most importantly be safe. Cheers!