My first field lessons with the CVA Paramount Pro

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Last week I was able to get down to GA and get in my first hunts with the CVA Paramount Pro .45. I have to admit that I was a break action, drop two pellets in and shove a sabot down the barrel kind of guy, and was a little intimated by the Paramount Pro and learning all the parts, Blackhorn 209, Powerbelt ELR's, etc. But after a day at the range, and getting used to it all I can say that it's quite the hunting tool. Accuracy is unbelievable.

So here's some of my lessons learned.
1) Put the CVA brake on it. I'm shooting 150 grains (by volume) of Blackhorn 209 with the .45 Powerbelt ELR. It's a mule kick without it, but not bad at all with it.

2) Bring good hearing protection with you in the stand. I always bring hearing pro to the range, but not always in stand. I took one shot from a box blind and ears were ringing for days. That won't happen again.

3) Bring the carbon loading funnel with you in the stand. If you have the brake on it, it's a must if you have to reload. I dropped this buck in his tracks and didn't need to reload, but I ALWAYS do. So when I couldn't, I got nervous. I'm getting extra funnels to leave everywhere - in my packs, truck, etc and there will always be one now in a buttstock pouch.

Hope everybody has a great muzzleloader season.

Damon

Attachments

• IMG_8338.jpeg
    IMG_8338.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8367.jpeg
    IMG_8367.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8368.jpeg
    IMG_8368.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 98
what kind of accuracy are you getting from it? I have been disappointed with my savage but SOOO many options these days hard to try them all, but ihave been looking to shoot MOA or better might not be reality

ENCORE

WKR
Those brakes have been causing a lot of headaches among Paramount owners and the complete loss of accuracy. Without the brake at 100yds it'll be a single hole or cloverleaf but, add that new brake and some are reporting they can't hit paper and one reports he can't keep in on a 4'x4' piece of cardboard.
Many believe that its not just the brake, but the ELR bullet and the skirt coming off inside the brake.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last week I was able to get down to GA and get in my first hunts with the CVA Paramount Pro .45. I have to admit that I was a break action, drop two pellets in and shove a sabot down the barrel kind of guy, and was a little intimated by the Paramount Pro and learning all the parts, Blackhorn 209, Powerbelt ELR's, etc. But after a day at the range, and getting used to it all I can say that it's quite the hunting tool. Accuracy is unbelievable.

So here's some of my lessons learned.
1) Put the CVA brake on it. I'm shooting 150 grains (by volume) of Blackhorn 209 with the .45 Powerbelt ELR. It's a mule kick without it, but not bad at all with it.

2) Bring good hearing protection with you in the stand. I always bring hearing pro to the range, but not always in stand. I took one shot from a box blind and ears were ringing for days. That won't happen again.

3) Bring the carbon loading funnel with you in the stand. If you have the brake on it, it's a must if you have to reload. I dropped this buck in his tracks and didn't need to reload, but I ALWAYS do. So when I couldn't, I got nervous. I'm getting extra funnels to leave everywhere - in my packs, truck, etc and there will always be one now in a buttstock pouch.

Hope everybody has a great muzzleloader season.

Damon
nice buck Damon!

we're you able to compare accuracy between brake off vs. brake on?

what kind of accuracy are you getting from it? I have been disappointed with my savage but SOOO many options these days hard to try them all, but ihave been looking to shoot MOA or better might not be reality
I purchased the 45 paramount early last year and love it. coming from UT I have the opportunity for long range shooting. I have shot mine out to 500 yds am able to hold a 4-6" pattern. at 200 yds i am punching the same hole time and time again.

Great review!

As others have mentioned I would like to hear more on the effects of the brake on accuracy.

I have had my eye on a Paramount for a while. Think I’ll sneak into the local sporting goods store and buy one. They’re on sale too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
2D2A004B-7B9A-4FAF-BC55-27B97C7C7DC5.jpeg

Just got back from the range with my Paramount and figured I’d throw out the accuracy I’m getting to answer one of the questions above. This is a 3 shot, 100yd group. Center to center is south of 0.5”. This is just a bipod on the front and a sand bag in the rear.

View attachment 471745

Just got back from the range with my Paramount and figured I’d throw out the accuracy I’m getting to answer one of the questions above. This is a 3 shot, 100yd group. Center to center is south of 0.5”. This is just a bipod on the front and a sand bag in the rear.

Dang! You guys are gonna make me buy one of these sooner rather than later. Been eyeing one for a while.

What I’d the difference between the Pro and the HTR? Looks to just be the stock. Any accuracy variations?

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
My paramount is the original version. It had the adjustable green HMR stock on it. I restocked it to save some weight.

I also added the Arrowhead LRMP module conversion.

My paramount is the original version. It had the adjustable green HMR stock on it. I restocked it to save some weight.

I also added the Arrowhead LRMP module conversion.

Did you notice a gain in accuracy with the LRMP conversion? Still shooting BH209, correct?

Which stock? Remington 700 short action, correct?

Fitzwho

WKR
Yeah. I can't say the accuracy changed much. Cutting the stock weight in almost half, it kicks like a mule. It's a 700 short action footprint, but you have to buy a new bottom metal or have the stock custom inletted to use the CVA ticket guard/bottom metal because it is a CVA specific layout. I just bought a new BDL bottom metal.