My first haul road hunt, pro's and cons

EPS

FNG
We went up on the 9th and back on the 22nd of August. The road wasn't in too bad of shape with the last 50 miles or so to deadhorse as new asphalt. We timed our trip completely wrong for this year (migration hadn't started). Around Happy Valley area there were many camps that had nice bou racks and meat on the poles (apparently those were the resident bou).
We met Ryan and his wife from Northstar at the boat ramp for the first part of our hunt up the river and they were AMAZING. I wont name names but the "other guy" that was there would never get my business.
7 days of hiking tundra netted 0 caribou, the migration had not started moving as of that time. Ryan even moved us over to the Echooka for a few days and still nada. The few that were found and taken were VERY small.
Back to the haul road and this was the disappointing part. There were so few caribou that people seemed to just loose any sense of ethics and courtesy. We would pull over and glass a herd way off in the distance and other trucks would race up and literally pull right in front of our truck spot and then take off after them. Seemed like it was a free for all everybody seemed frantic. Last day on the way out I finally had a big bull closing in at less than 60 yards only to have a truck skid to a halt up on the road and it bolted. I was several hundred yards off the road and spent several hours working that bull just to finally be in the right spot. It didn't matter that our truck was parked there to let people know I was hunting it. By the time I made it back to the road 3 other vehicles had dropped people off in pursuit of it.

Despite the lack of ethics, I really loved the hunting portion of the area and will go back when I have a more flexible schedule and can extend time if needed.

OP
E

EPS

FNG
That kind of hunting is not for me.
This wasn't meant as a discouragement at all, It was still a fantastic adventure and from what others up there assured me it was mostly a condition of there being so few caribou at the time I was there causing people to be a little more desperate and disrespectful.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Hope to give this Hunt a go some day !!! Hopefully when I get the chance I catch it at the right time !!

mooster

WKR
thanks for sharing. sorry for the bad luck. see any muskox or griz up there?

OP
E

EPS

FNG
thanks for sharing. sorry for the bad luck. see any muskox or griz up there?
Muskox were EVERYWHERE along the rivers. We had one stay right in camp on the Ivishek for a few days. 1 sow griz with a cub on the far bank of the Sag and a polar bear a few miles south of Deadhorse out on the gravel bar. As a curiosity, I had a cow elk stalker decoy with me (they don'P1000174.JPGP1000271.JPGP1000253.JPGt make a caribou) It's the kind that velcro's right to the bow and changes your profile. Even being an elk it worked fantastic. I tested on a cow bou first and was within 40 yds for quite a while taking pics.

22lr

WKR
Awesome opportunity to see the polar bear! We saw tons of musk ox as well, but same, very few bou and no grizzly. Was up there 14-19 Aug.

Pro tip for new folks. Power wash your truck in the yard not the drive. After a week of driving on a wet muddy road, my truck dropped about 50lbs of mud in the drive... lol. I ended up having to repaint my steps as the rocks "sand blasted" em bare in spots. I had to get under my truck and hit the wheels with a scaper to get all the mid off the inside of my wheels, a solid 2" of buildup was pretty good and cemented on.

But same bottom line, a hell of a awesome adventure even if I didn't get a bou.

20210819_091022.jpg

manitou1

WKR
We went up on the 9th and back on the 22nd of August. The road wasn't in too bad of shape with the last 50 miles or so to deadhorse as new asphalt. We timed our trip completely wrong for this year (migration hadn't started). Around Happy Valley area there were many camps that had nice bou racks and meat on the poles (apparently those were the resident bou).
We met Ryan and his wife from Northstar at the boat ramp for the first part of our hunt up the river and they were AMAZING. I wont name names but the "other guy" that was there would never get my business.
7 days of hiking tundra netted 0 caribou, the migration had not started moving as of that time. Ryan even moved us over to the Echooka for a few days and still nada. The few that were found and taken were VERY small.
Back to the haul road and this was the disappointing part. There were so few caribou that people seemed to just loose any sense of ethics and courtesy. We would pull over and glass a herd way off in the distance and other trucks would race up and literally pull right in front of our truck spot and then take off after them. Seemed like it was a free for all everybody seemed frantic. Last day on the way out I finally had a big bull closing in at less than 60 yards only to have a truck skid to a halt up on the road and it bolted. I was several hundred yards off the road and spent several hours working that bull just to finally be in the right spot. It didn't matter that our truck was parked there to let people know I was hunting it. By the time I made it back to the road 3 other vehicles had dropped people off in pursuit of it.

Despite the lack of ethics, I really loved the hunting portion of the area and will go back when I have a more flexible schedule and can extend time if needed.
Sounds like Wyoming antelope rifle season!

It's not near as bad as he makes it sound. Don't be afraid to tell people they are acting foolish when you see it.. I certainly do. Then, at least their unlikely to do it again.

Muskox were EVERYWHERE along the rivers. We had one stay right in camp on the Ivishek for a few days. 1 sow griz with a cub on the far bank of the Sag and a polar bear a few miles south of Deadhorse out on the gravel bar. As a curiosity, I had a cow elk stalker decoy with me (they don'View attachment 321930View attachment 321931View attachment 321932t make a caribou) It's the kind that velcro's right to the bow and changes your profile. Even being an elk it worked fantastic. I tested on a cow bou first and was within 40 yds for quite a while taking pics.
Im headed up for the first time in September 2022. I had no idea there were Polar bears just off the road like that. Is there a decent chance we will see them or did u just get lucky?

OP
E

EPS

FNG
Im headed up for the first time in September 2022. I had no idea there were Polar bears just off the road like that. Is there a decent chance we will see them or did u just get lucky?
apparently we were lucky to see a polar bear from what I've been told

TW907

FNG
Caribou hunting off the road system can be like that at times but sometimes you can get lucky

Nails

FNG
I lived and worked along the haul road for several years, it's rare to see a polar bear from the road. Very cool that you saw one!