My first kill with a traditional bow

Hi all,

After lots of practice and a handful of unsuccessful stalks, I got it done recently with this billy goat. It was a lot of effort to get it all on film in a spot and stalk scenario but I was determined to make my first animal with a traditional bow something special and document the moment for myself.

Here is the video.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped me in various ways through advice or acquisition of gear. I really do appreciate it. :)

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing, very nice video I always enjoy learning and seeing hunts in other countries.
I see you have some more videos, I will check them out too.

OP
W
Thanks for watching, everyone. It was great fun and I'm keen to stay stuck in and become the best hunter I can be. That's what picking up the bow was about for me. Some of my spots are full of game and became a little stale heading out for a weekend and shooting a few deer, so I wanted to take my knowledge and skills to the next level.

oldgoat

WKR
Awesome! Congrats! I know it's not good to have large feral animals around, but sure would be fun if we did! Colorado doesn't anyways!

OP
W
Awesome! Congrats! I know it's not good to have large feral animals around, but sure would be fun if we did! Colorado doesn't anyways!
Thanks, mate.

It's great if you're a hunter. We have essentially unlimited seasons and bag limits over here. I've killed many deer and other animals this year, but only one pig with my compound bow, and now this goat with my recurve. Over summer I intend to really work on my skills and get some numbers up so I'm as good as I can be for the deer rut next year.

Also, it's worth noting that the drought over here is horrible at the moment and the introduced animals are wrecking farms even more than usual. I may have to shoot heaps of deer commercially, again, very soon. Up to 75 this year, with 65 being off one property, and 23 of them were sent away for human consumption.

OP
W
It is nice when it all comes together. It's a different feeling to rifle hunting. In contrast, learning to shoot a rifle well out to 200y is a walk in the park compared to being able to shoot a trad bow out to 20y.

OP
W
Plenty more coming, mate.

Once I settle into video editing more, and I move house to a place with a nicer kitchen and backyard setting, I'll have videos coming out of my ears - traditional archery, firearms, cooking, reviews, etc. Planning on having an archery range in my new backyard! :)

Should get a few more hunts on film in the coming months.

mt100gr.

WKR
Good stuff! My go-to hunting partner is from Perth. Been in the US 17 years but he's aussie to the core.

I've heard some very entertaining stories from your part of the world.

The Australian appetite for adventure is second to none.