My first kill with the SEVR 2.0

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my experience with the SEVR 2.0. I was dead set on fixed blades this summer but just never felt they were as accurate as they should be (even after exhaustive tuning) so I ended up with the SEVR 2.0. I shot a doe last night at 22 yards. My setup is a Bowtech Reign 6, 62#, 30" draw, axis 300 arrow with 50 grain brass and a 100 grain sevr for a total arrow weight of right about 500 grains. The arrow initially stuck in the side of her which had me question my hit a little bit. I was pretty confident that I hit the off side leg or shoulder so we started tracking after 2 hours. I was disappointed to not get a pass through but was hoping for the best. About 10 yards from where I shot her the arrow broke off where she went in the woods. We immediately started finding good blood and followed the trail about 50 yards and found her in about ten minutes. The blood trail was one of the best I have seen recently. The shot hit both lungs (just a bit high). The impressive part to me is that this blood trail was from the entry hole only. If it would have passed through it would have been incredible. Just wanted share some pics although it may be hard to see the trail (these pics are from this morning obviously)...

Attachments

• 20201201_122534.jpg
    20201201_122534.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 323
  • 20201201_122518.jpg
    20201201_122518.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 20201201_122443.jpg
    20201201_122443.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 20201201_120109.jpg
    20201201_120109.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 20201130_193533.jpg
    20201130_193533.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 358

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
Sevr makes a vicious broadhead. From the 1.5 to the 2.1, I've seen them personally take down a handful of bull elk, half a dozen deer, and three javelinas. In every case, blood trails were awesome but unnecessary. Animals didn't make it more than 40 yards. Lots of amazing choices out there no doubt. But I'd be hard pressed to want to shoot anything else.

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my experience with the SEVR 2.0. I was dead set on fixed blades this summer but just never felt they were as accurate as they should be (even after exhaustive tuning) so I ended up with the SEVR 2.0. I shot a doe last night at 22 yards. My setup is a Bowtech Reign 6, 62#, 30" draw, axis 300 arrow with 50 grain brass and a 100 grain sevr for a total arrow weight of right about 500 grains. The arrow initially stuck in the side of her which had me question my hit a little bit. I was pretty confident that I hit the off side leg or shoulder so we started tracking after 2 hours. I was disappointed to not get a pass through but was hoping for the best. About 10 yards from where I shot her the arrow broke off where she went in the woods. We immediately started finding good blood and followed the trail about 50 yards and found her in about ten minutes. The blood trail was one of the best I have seen recently. The shot hit both lungs (just a bit high). The impressive part to me is that this blood trail was from the entry hole only. If it would have passed through it would have been incredible. Just wanted share some pics although it may be hard to see the trail (these pics are from this morning obviously)...
So did you hit offside shoulder? I agree a pass though is what I want for a 20 yard shot. I killed a bear with the 2.0 this year at 20 yards, similar arrow setup but 66lbs. Just curious more than anything as I plan to use them again.

OP
180splitg3
So did you hit offside shoulder? I agree a pass though is what I want for a 20 yard shot. I killed a bear with the 2.0 this year at 20 yards, similar arrow setup but 66lbs. Just curious more than anything as I plan to use them again.
I'm not 100% sure what I hit but it was either the shoulder or the leg on the off side. I never found the broadhead so it may be lodged under the hide somewhere. The head cut through the ribs on the exit side but did not pass through the hide all the way - I did not find it in the cavity either...

I had poor penetration with a 2.1. I switched blades out to the 2.0, haven't shot anything with it yet.

The 2.1 locked in a past open position and killed penetration. The 2.0 doesn't seem to do it.

I got a full pass thru but my arrow was laying on top of the grass, I'm used to it burying in the dirt behind the animal.

IMG_20201008_123521691.jpg

This is how the head was when I found it, over expanded and blades were locked at this angle.

IMG_20201008_081815779.jpg
Arrow just laying on the grass right behind the animal. Literally used 99.99% of it's energy in the deer. Was still dead in line with where it should have been, 4-5' past where she was standing. No shoulder/humerus impact, maybe a rib or two, I don't remember. A shot that I haven't ever had penetration issue with.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had poor penetration with a 2.1. I switched blades out to the 2.0, haven't shot anything with it yet.

The 2.1 locked in a past open position and killed penetration. The 2.0 doesn't seem to do it.

I got a full pass thru but my arrow was laying on top of the grass, I'm used to it burying in the dirt behind the animal.

View attachment 237968

This is how the head was when I found it, over expanded and blades were locked at this angle.

View attachment 237969
Arrow just laying on the grass right behind the animal. Literally used 99.99% of it's energy in the deer. Was still dead in line with where it should have been, 4-5' past where she was standing. No shoulder/humerus impact, maybe a rib or two, I don't remember. A shot that I haven't ever had penetration issue with.
You’re complaining about a full pass through with a 2.1” expandable? Lol.

The 2.0 lock open in the same way FYI. I don’t think they do that until they try to come back out though.

You’re complaining about a full pass through with a 2.1” expandable? Lol.

The 2.0 lock open in the same way FYI. I don’t think they do that until they try to come back out though.

Yes I am. I for years used a 1 3/4" 3 blade spitfire with the only animal I didn't get a pass thru with was an elk longways. Chest shot and you could see the broadhead poking on the skin between the hams.

The marks on the blades around the tip indicate to me they went thru the animal like that, with the blades pivoting and putting the marks in the edge.

My son killed a doe off our back porch a couple days ago with a Sevr 1.5. No pass through but we watched her fall over about 50 yards from the shot. He is shooting an Elite Hunter with poundage down around 50 probably. Killed her dead quick.

Does the activation tabs on the new blades still cover up the leading cutting edge when blades are deployed?

Trial153

WKR
Three kills, mixed results.

#1 whitetail buck mature,
SevR 1.5 125 grain, 25 yards, broadside, entry was 2/3 height, 3 inches behind the humerus, arrow went through the muscle into the thoracic cavity, barely, then defected to lodge almost length wise at the same hight of entry. This was from a tree stand mind you. The arrow dislodged within 50 yards, 400 yard recovery. No obvious damage to the head or blades. ** added.... blood trail was poor to very poor.
#2 sevr 125 2.1 Caribou Bull, mature 40ish yards, quartering away, decent downward angle, hit mid line behind the last rib. Arrow was lodged in the brisket area, broken blade. Recovered the bull in sight, maybe 20 yards.

#3 whitetail Buck mature. Sevr125 2.0 10 yards shot from a tree stand, slightly quartering away. Entry was top third of the thoracic activity, arrow lodged into the off side shoulder next to th humerus, not a complete pass though. Buck went 75 yards, okay blood trail, easy recovery. Blades where bent and th inside of the ferrule was scored by one of the bent blades. The ferrule still spins true. Blades are shot.

I dont think Sevr are any better or worse then other rear deploy heads of the same basic design. Not my favorite do to poor penetration and inconsistency. If I had to use a mechanical I would chose a open after penetration head like a Raptor trick, steelhead or spitfire.. .. I would love to see beefed up raptor trick that was stronger.

Last edited:
I've been bowhunting 25+ years with fixed blades but only started experimenting with mechanicals the last couple of years so don't have a lot of experience with them. Tried Killzones but they seemed to gobble up kinetic energy. Liked the design of the Sevr and I trust Randy Ulmer enough to try them if he says they are good. Rubber band is not ideal to me but sure seems to use a lot less kinetic energy to open than the Killzones. I'm shooting a 60# Bowtech. Three kills this year all with different versions of the Sevr all in 125gr, Victory VAP Elite arrow shafts with 50gr outserts (although used the heavier 95gr SS outserts on the turkey arrow):

#1 - Sevr 2.1 - Turkey at 8 yards. Frontal hit between the waddle and the base of the beard. Rolled about 3 yards and died in seconds. Broadhead hit that big sternum plate on the chest at an angle and was just barely poking out by the back of the hip. One blade bent at about a 30 degree angle, ferrule able to spin true.

#2 - Sevr 2.0 - Black bear at 16 yards. Broadside tight behind shoulder, double lung. Complete pass through, buried in the dirt. Bear went about 40 yards and died within sight. Left a mega-blood trail. Broke near side rib and went between the offside ribs. Blades were intact and not bent, ferrule able to spin true.

#3 - Sevr 1.5 - Whitetail buck. Quartering away at 23 yards, double lung. Complete pass through, buried in the dirt. Deer went about 50 yards and crashed within sight. Broke the nearside rib and the far side rib. Blades were intact and not bent, ferrule able to spin true.

I'm not drinking the mechanical or Sevr Koolaide yet but I will be keeping a couple of these in my quiver next year.

If only they were easier to re-set once opened. Deal breaker for me as soon as I messed with one and it took two grown men and experienced archery hunters to re-set it.

I shot a mature Midwestern buck at 20yds, 70lb/28.5"/440gr arrow with the 2.0. I didn't get a pass through or hit the opposite shoulder but the blood trail was incredible and the broadhead looked brand new.
20201105_131839.jpg

Tmdtexan

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering switching from Rage to Sevr this year. Thanks for sharing your experience!