My first kill with the SEVR 2.0

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a Mule deer buck at 20 yards this past season with a 2.0. Full frontal with a 454 gn arrow. Arrow was sticking out of his rear end. Buck ran 10 steps and collapsed stone dead like I had shot him with a 300 Win Mag. Also, the 2.1 is deadly on turkeys. I'll keep using them.

OP
180splitg3
Got another kill with the sevr 2.0 yesterday. Nice doe at 20 yards broadside. Full pass through. She sprinted away after the shot. Decent blood trail but not great. She only made it about 40 yards and died. Arrow was stuck in the dirt. The head looked unscathed. I will sharpen the blades and use it again. I'm hoping to test them out on a buck this season as well! Just wanted to update for anyone interested. 124085.jpeg20210921_180107.jpg20210922_072358.jpg20210922_073155.jpg

I had mixed results last year with them, though I think it was due to the entire set up and not just the head. I had a 2.1'' only poke the opposite side hide on a WT doe at 17 yards, perfect double lung shot. I had a 1.5'' get stopped entirely on a mule deer buck at 44, no recovery. This was with a 444g arrow going about 270.

This year it is a 470g arrow going about 280 and I passed through this mouflon ram at 25 entirely. He jumped higher vertically than he ran horizontally. I agree with the fact it takes a rocket surgeon to close the sumbitches.

Attachments

• Ram.jpg
    Ram.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Ram2.jpg
    Ram2.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Ram3.jpg
    Ram3.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 61
This year it is a 470g arrow going about 280 and I passed through this mouflon ram at 25 entirely. He jumped higher vertically than he ran horizontally. I agree with the fact it takes a rocket surgeon to close the sumbitches.
in tx? i always trip out on how small their bodies are.

OP
180splitg3
Once i use up the few 2.0s i have its all 1.5s from now on. After seeing the penetration and wound channels from the 1.5 its no brainer switch for me
I have been thinking the same thing. I am liking these 2" sevrs but the 1.5s seem less likely to get damaged on a hit. If you ever watch Lusk outdoors broadhead tests - they test really well and he really likes them. I may try the sevr robusto as well at some point...

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
Got another kill with the sevr 2.0 yesterday. Nice doe at 20 yards broadside. Full pass through. She sprinted away after the shot. Decent blood trail but not great. She only made it about 40 yards and died. Arrow was stuck in the dirt. The head looked unscathed. I will sharpen the blades and use it again. I'm hoping to test them out on a buck this season as well! Just wanted to update for anyone interested. View attachment 328813View attachment 328814View attachment 328811View attachment 328812

Shot my first deer (doe) EVER this past weekend. Pretty excited.

Used Ravin R26 Crossbow with SEVR TITANIUM 2.0 BROADHEAD.

It was a clean pass through. I noticed Cut was 2 Inches In and 1 Inch Out.

There was not a lot of blood on the ground where i shot it, blood trail was so so. I was sitting in a blind, so I couldn't see which path the deer took, took me bit of time to find the starting trail, after that it was no problem.

Question: I thought the blades were supposed to pivot back and get a max 2 inch cut going out (in case of bone hit internally). is my understanding correct? could it be why there was no decent blood trail?

Trial153

WKR

It was a clean pass through. I noticed Cut was 2 Inches in and 1 Inch Out.

There was not a lot of blood on the ground where i shot it, blood trail was so so. I was sitting in a blind, so I couldn't see which path the deer took, took me bit of time to find the starting trail, after that it was no problem.

Question: I thought the blades were supposed to pivot back and get a max 2 inch cut going out (in case of bone hit internally). is my understanding correct? could it be why there was no decent blood trail?

Was the head locked open when you found it?

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
So if it it a rib going out…the blades should pivot and it would show a smaller than 2inch cut. Sounds like the head did what it was designed to..

understood. so basically this can techincally result in a not so great blood trail?

here is the one that i used, tip is bent, dont think i can salvage this.

IMG-0558.jpeg

Trial153

WKR
understood. so basically this can techincally result in a not so great blood trail?

here is the one that i used, tip is bent, dont think i can salvage this.

View attachment 332799

A blood trail is more dependent on shot placement then any other factor. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they aren’t. If You kill enough game I don’t see how you can come to any other conclusion.

You said that once the trail got started it was “no problem”. Again that’s it uncommon, especially with hit that’s a little high.

Sounds like the head worked well for you. That tip file down with a bastard file and you will be back in business if you replace or sharpen the blades

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
If You kill enough game I don’t see how you can come to any other conclusion.

You said that once the trail got started it was “no problem”. Again that’s it uncommon, especially with hit that’s a little high.

my first deer so i dont have a frame of reference. more of going back and forth in my mind, did i select the right broadhead etc etc.

once i found the starting trail, i found the deer about 150 yards away in 20 minutes (roughly).

I will stick to this broadhead for now and keen on exploring other options (better?) as well.

Thanks.

Trial153

WKR
my first deer so i dont have a frame of reference. more of going back and forth in my mind, did i select the right broadhead etc etc.

once i found the starting trail, i found the deer about 150 yards away in 20 minutes (roughly).

I will stick to this broadhead for now and keen on exploring other options (better?) as well.

Thanks.

All good buddy. It’s all about being aware and learning and observing.
Sounds like your on the right track. Congrats on your first deer

OP
180splitg3

It was a clean pass through. I noticed Cut was 2 Inches In and 1 Inch Out.

Congratulations on your first deer 👍🏻

Looks like your question has been answered. I have taken quite a few whitetails with archery equipment and for me it's pretty normal to struggle a little bit to find first blood. It's soo important to watch the deer after the shot so that you can get on blood quicker. This is something that takes a while to get better at. It sounds like once you found blood you were able to follow it easily. Tracking a 150 yard blood trail in 20 minutes is not bad at all - in my opinion.

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my experience with the SEVR 2.0. I was dead set on fixed blades this summer but just never felt they were as accurate as they should be (even after exhaustive tuning) so I ended up with the SEVR 2.0. I shot a doe last night at 22 yards. My setup is a Bowtech Reign 6, 62#, 30" draw, axis 300 arrow with 50 grain brass and a 100 grain sevr for a total arrow weight of right about 500 grains. The arrow initially stuck in the side of her which had me question my hit a little bit. I was pretty confident that I hit the off side leg or shoulder so we started tracking after 2 hours. I was disappointed to not get a pass through but was hoping for the best. About 10 yards from where I shot her the arrow broke off where she went in the woods. We immediately started finding good blood and followed the trail about 50 yards and found her in about ten minutes. The blood trail was one of the best I have seen recently. The shot hit both lungs (just a bit high). The impressive part to me is that this blood trail was from the entry hole only. If it would have passed through it would have been incredible. Just wanted share some pics although it may be hard to see the trail (these pics are from this morning obviously)...
My favorite expandable

OP
180splitg3
Put another doe down tonight with the Sevr 2.0. This blood trail was the worst blood trail I have had with these heads. I hit the top of both lungs which I believe was the reason for the very poor blood trail. Took about an hour to track her about 80 yards. I think any head would have produced a poor blood trail with this shot placement - not blaming the sevr entirely. Just thought I'd share...20211220_182353.jpg

Put another doe down tonight with the Sevr 2.0. This blood trail was the worst blood trail I have had with these heads. I hit the top of both lungs which I believe was the reason for the very poor blood trail. Took about an hour to track her about 80 yards. I think any head would have produced a poor blood trail with this shot placement - not blaming the sevr entirely. Just thought I'd share...View attachment 358845

Blood is weird man. I've hit several animals in that spot and its like a coin flip on what blood you get.