My first Marathon

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys/gals, I'm running my first marathon this weekend and wondered if anyone has some last minute advice for me. I've been training hard since Christmas so Im more ecxited than worried, but any tips would be helpful. When it hurts I'll just picture that big bull across the basin bugling to keep me going!! Thanks!

marshrat

FNG
I wish I had some advice, but all I can say is, I hope you do great. Good luck, and keep us posted.

IAHNTR

WKR
If u don't know, when u grab a cup of water or gatorade, throw half of it out, pinch the cup in half and drink. You wouldn't think it's hard to drink and run, but during my first half I got more water and gatorade on my face then in my mouth. To bad I learned this trick after the run.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much of a runner, so I am afraid I can't give much advice. Best of luck this weekend, though, and let us all know how it goes! Awesome to see the things people are doing in the off season to stay in shape for fall. Look forward to hearing all about it!

D

david long

If u don't know, when u grab a cup of water or gatorade, throw half of it out, pinch the cup in half and drink. You wouldn't think it's hard to drink and run, but during my first half I got more water and gatorade on my face then in my mouth. To bad I learned this trick after the run.
Good advice :)

IAHNTR

WKR
Oh, another tip is to cover your nipples. I saw many guys that had blood coming through their shirts from chafed nipples. The temp was in the mid fifties. Believe me - it hurts. I just used a couple bandaides.

R

rebecca francis

That's so exciting! In my first marathon the last six miles were all mental.... It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but definitely one of the most rewarding. Eat a lot of carbs the night before....and above all, don't stress. You will do great and we can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Lukem

WKR
Make sure you are running your pace. Don't get caught up in somebody else's race. Run your race. If you feel you must try to run slow early on, everybody gets excited and goes too hard and that's one of the worst things you can do. Even happens to pacers, I've seen pacers miss their mark by a long shot (like ahead of the pacer in front of them, musta forgot his watch...) Don't get caught up in passing people either, in a big race there'll always be somebody to pass and you'll end up running too fast and paying for it later. Don't let "the wall" at 20 get into your head. If you ran it right, (and trained correctly) the last 6 will be just like the rest. Most of all, have fun, it's an incredible experience. Best of luck.

Lukem

WKR
Oh, another tip is to cover your nipples. I saw many guys that had blood coming through their shirts from chafed nipples. The temp was in the mid fifties. Believe me - it hurts. I just used a couple bandaides.

Mid 50s are warm enough not to need a shirt.

If you must wear a shirt, make sure it's not cotton (as if you hadn't learned anything on Rok...)

OP
kamcgraw

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the right and my trusty hunting partner is on the left. These were forced smiles just minutes after the race! Prayers and images of elk kept us going after the 20 mile mark! It was an awesome experience.

Attachments

• marathon 2012.jpg
    marathon 2012.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 25

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that is great, nice work! I'm running my first half-marathon in 3 weeks. Hopefully it goes well...