My First Mountain Buck

bascott1

WKR
Congrats on the awesome deer. I’m looking at a bear trip in there also. Got a buddy that tagged a 500# in there and a couple 300#ers

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the awesome deer. I’m looking at a bear trip in there also. Got a buddy that tagged a 500# in there and a couple 300#ers
Now that is big. 300 is big but 500, wow. Are you looking to do an archery hunt this year?

bascott1

WKR
Yeah. Took 4 of em to get it out whole. Prob next year before I’ll be able to.

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Took 4 of em to get it out whole. Prob next year before I’ll be able to.
I am counting on it. Show us a pic of one of those monster bruins from Cohutta. They had 5 bears harvested when I left. The biggest dressed at 250, so that would be 300+

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck. Congrats! I am just north of you. That is brutal country for sure. Hard earned buck.
Thank you, and yes it is brutal. It is different from the Rockies. It is not as high and in some cases not as steep. However everything is in an advanced state of decay and every step is battle in, around, over, and under blow down. I have never hunted so hard i my life.

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats that is a monster buck for North Georgia and 20200119_104617.jpgCohutta. Good to see Cohutta still has some big buck genetics. I did the same thing packing in my tree Lounge back in the mid-90s on Buckeye Mountain.. yes I agree it's brutal but it was worth it.. I killed a good Mountain buck out of it that year. Not as big as yours though.. congrats once again

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats that is a monster buck for North Georgia and View attachment 147848Cohutta. Good to see Cohutta still has some big buck genetics. I did the same thing packing in my tree Lounge back in the mid-90s on Buckeye Mountain.. yes I agree it's brutal but it was worth it.. I killed a good Mountain buck out of it that year. Not as big as yours though.. congrats once again
Yours is a great mountain buck. I think until you have spent some time hunting in the mountains you can not understand this. The deer are few but they do congregate so you have to find them. They fight for limited food with bear and hogs so they never really get big. Deer in the mountains often live longer because they can get away from most hunters and do not have to cross highways. Often there are 6 1/2 year old bucks that have small and thin racks. These are true trophies because in every case the hunter had to earn the deer.

@Professor I am planning my first trip up to Cohutta currently and really enjoyed this thread. We (3 of us) were planning on camping 3/4 miles in from the trailhead. do you think that is realistic for packing game out? We have backpacked before in north ga and have hunted deer in south ga but have never put the two together for a bear/deer hunt. Thanks

OP
Professor

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
@Professor I am planning my first trip up to Cohutta currently and really enjoyed this thread. We (3 of us) were planning on camping 3/4 miles in from the trailhead. do you think that is realistic for packing game out? We have backpacked before in north ga and have hunted deer in south ga but have never put the two together for a bear/deer hunt. Thanks
It is realistic. Of course, it depends on your conditioning and gear, but if you are up for it and a pack that can handle the meat then go for it.