My First Rifle Build-Advice Sought

Hi All,

I'm seeking advice on doing my first "custom built" rifle. I'm a lifelong hunter, but have only recently acquired the time and budget to complete my first build.

I'm completely new to the custom/semi-custom build process and I have a few questions, but first here's what I'm looking at building:

Platform: Tikka T3x in .308 or .300WM
Stock Upgrade: Kinetic Research Group, Bravo Chassis
Scope: Swarovski Optik Z5

So here are my questions:

Is the stock swap something I can do myself, or is a gunsmith/professional strongly recommended?
What specifics do I need to be aware of when purchasing these components for my build?

Any helpful suggestions and advice are welcome.

Since you didn’t ask for advice on mounting the scope, I assume you’re comfortable doing that. And in my opinion, if you can do that confidently, you can handle swapping the stock as well. I can’t give you torque specs off the top of my head but I bet you could do minimal research and watch a couple YouTube vids and be fine.

As for advice on purchasing these products...it’s an addiction. And if you’re like me, as soon as you successfully put a rifle together, you’ll wanna start another one. All jokes aside, just shop around. I often get antsy and just wanna buy it when I get the hunch, but if you wait a little and look around you can save yourself some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
eddiewiggles-Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback.

It's a bit daunting, since I haven't attempted a rifle build before. You're right in that I have mounted a few scopes, but I'm certainly no expert. I'll start cruising through YouTube and see what I can find.

Sevens

WKR
Swapping the stock is very easy; nothing to fret about.

As Eddie said though, buildings a rifle is an addiction. Next thing you know, you’ll be buying a prefit barrel and and action wrench and trying to put the whole thing together from scratch.

OP
P
Swapping the stock is very easy; nothing to fret about.

As Eddie said though, buildings a rifle is an addiction. Next thing you know, you’ll be buying a prefit barrel and and action wrench and trying to put the whole thing together from scratch.
I'm a mechanical and technical specs lover. This is me knowingly walking in to a new addiction.

Rob5589

WKR
Pretty basic stuff. A chassis swap is super simple; remove old stock, bolt down action to new chassis. Same with scope install. Spend a few bucks and buy the correct tools; hex tools, inch pound torque wrench, hollow ground screwdrivers, torx tools, scope level kit.

OP
P
Pretty basic stuff. A chassis swap is super simple; remove old stock, bolt down action to new chassis. Same with scope install. Spend a few bucks and buy the correct tools; hex tools, inch pound torque wrench, hollow ground screwdrivers, torx tools, scope level kit.
Thank you for the advice, I'll look into that now.

I’ve taken some stock rifles into the semi-custom world but that was just a stepping stone to building exactly what I want from scratch. In my opinion just buying a stock rifle and upgrading it is a worse value than buying all of the components and having a true custom put together by a gunsmith, and at the end of the day you have exactly what you want.

OP
P
I’ve taken some stock rifles into the semi-custom world but that was just a stepping stone to building exactly what I want from scratch. In my opinion just buying a stock rifle and upgrading it is a worse value than buying all of the components and having a true custom put together by a gunsmith, and at the end of the day you have exactly what you want.
I'm interested in this. Can you expand on buying the components and how you would go about it?

rayporter

WKR
this winter i have found stainless barrels and Mcmillian stocks on forums and saved a bunch on 2 rifles.

i like shouldered barrels done by a smith, just me and how i got started. but the barrel nuts do work also.

finding a smith can be the daunting part.

OP
P
This rifle will be my primary weapon for backcountry hunting in the mountain west and high plains. Elk, Deer, antelope, etc. My goal is to be able to shoot 600 yards with my new set up.

I am open to ideas, especially if there is a recommended way to purchase a Tikka barrel without purchasing the entire rifle. It would be nice to save a few coins here and there.

I appreciate your feedback.

rayporter

WKR
scrounged for a couple years
240$ action off a 700 that would not fire-soaked the trigger in solvent for a week
200$ barrel off internet
375$ McMillian stock
200$ chambering
1015$ total - scope not included

zOTe4VN.jpg

OP
P
So here's another question regarding the Tikka T3x series: Where and how do I have a picatinny railed installed on the barrel?

SDHNTR

WKR
Ditch the chassis idea. Some may flame me but if hunting is your goal, there are way better options. Build a real hunting rifle. DIY with pre fit barrels on a Savage or Tikka action work well if you are handy and or on a budget.

Or if you care about top quality and resale value, build on a Stiller, Bighorn, Defiance, Borden, Lone Peak, BAT, (to name a few) action, then a barrel from Bartlein, Krieger, Schillen, Lilja, Benchmark, Hart, Mueller, (to name a few) in a #2-4 contour, depending on your weight goals, and strap it all into a stock from McMillian, AG Composites, Manners, Grayboe, (to name a few), then finish it off with a trigger from Triggertech, Jewel or Timney (to name a few). Have it all assembled by a known and trusted gunsmith. Or order complete from a known and reputable builder like Alamo Precision, Hill Country Rifles, Shaen Rifles, Beanland, LRI, GAP, McWhorter, RBros, Hells Canyon, (to name a few.)

Or buy a package custom like a Maverick from Alamo Precision, which, BTW, is the best hunting gun value on the planet.

Do this and you will have a gun to be proud of and a proper and functional hunting rifle.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
PathTracker,
You asked for advise, so I’ll offer mine...

Tikka T3x stainless in 6.5 CM for the Hornady factory 143 ELDX or 147 ELDM
KRG Bravo Chassis
Sports match TO84 rings
SWFA 3-9 Milquad reticle mil/mil

When you get the components, pull the barreled action out of the T3x stock. Adjust the trigger pull to its lightest setting and see if it meets your expectations. If not, replace the spring with an aftermarket spring, adjust to your liking. Make certain to degrease and lock down the Allen screw holding the spring in place.

Degrease, lock down and torque your action screws in the chassis.

Follow this thread for mounting your rings and scope:

Skip the pic rail. You won’t need it and it’s one additional piece to deal with.

The KRG Bravo chassis works. The improved ergonomics are fantastic. Can you do something lighter, certainly. Alterra Carbon Hunter comes instantly to mind. But, for managing the recoil of the 6.5 CM without a brake in order to spot your impacts at all distances, the KRG’s additional weight and adjustable and proper design simply works.

Buy cases of ammunition and learn to be a rifleman and go forth into the backcountry and start filling your freezer.

Brad61537

FNG
ya what SDHNTR said! I’m very impressed with bartlein guys! Very impressive knowledgeable gentlemen who perform 2nd to none quality work with outstanding accuracy! I had them completely rebuild my Remington 700 in a 300 RUM & wow!

Last edited: