My First Virginia Bear

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I've coexisted with a number of these guys in the deer woods over the years. When VA went to a pay to play bear tag a few years ago I went without a tag for a year or two. I bought a tag last year and didnt have any prime opportunities.

As I was speed scouting some of my spots for deer yesterday I ran into this bear feeding on the last of the Buckeyes. Scouting with a bow brought the opportunity I had been waiting on. I was able to make a decent to good undetected shot. My good friend came to help on what turned into a difficult track. We took turns finding blood and was finally able to find the bear bedded and about finished. A well placed follow up and and another downhill dash into the worst possible territory I had my bear.

Turned out to be a young sow at I estimate 115 lbs live weight. I had what felt like 70 lbs of meat, head and hide, maybe a little more. 2.5 miles back to the car and I was about spent. I had an awesome successful hunt to get the season going. I look forward to enjoying what appears to be some really nice clean smelling meat. 20191019_162126.jpgKIMG0528.jpgKIMG0532~2.jpg20191019_172719.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• KIMG0528.jpg
    KIMG0528.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I’m assuming SW Virginia. I’m not far from Galax or Cana but In NC.
Right on the border of Grayson and Washington co. on federal land. Seems to be quite the number of them. That was the first of three bears spotted on Saturday.

OXN939

WKR
A relative of mine owns property near there. Talked with the game warden for the area recently, and he was encouraging hunters to fill as many bear tags as possible. Well over the population objectives for the area, apparently.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
A relative of mine owns property near there. Talked with the game warden for the area recently, and he was encouraging hunters to fill as many bear tags as possible. Well over the population objectives for the area, apparently.
We are allowed 1 bear per year. I have a feeling that the bears are going to be an aggravation this season.