My Formerly Anti-Hunting Buddy Wants to Hunt

KHNC

WKR
Hopefully he wont burn your spots by telling all his other new hunting buddys.

Btaylor

WKR
I'll echo whats said above. Absolutely take them. But maybe save the conservation gospel for later down the road. Let them enjoy hunting first.
I get where you are coming from on this point but some "conservation gospel" should be part of teaching him how to get started, esp. for a former anti. Remember there are probably a fair number of anti's in his circle that he could possibly positively influence if he is taught properly. Not concerned about him bringing more hunters in the tent but possibly influencing less resistance down the road.

PRC_GUY

WKR
It is a good idea to help him out, but is he really in both feet or one in and one out?

Be ware of those who anti gun and anti hunting, when the moment to pull trigger they wouldn’t do it and was your time.
Please let us know if he is in or half in and the other half is out.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I went skiing for a week with a old friend of mine. I have known him for 30 years, and new that he was anti-gun and anti-hunting. He is a good friend, and so I was planning to avoid the topic of hunting for a week (tough for me, but I was ready to make the sacrifice in the spirit of continued friendship). My jaw dropped when he asked me about how to get started hunting. He is 51 years old, and after a lifetime of being firmly against it he wants to start. We can all thank Joe Rogan, Cam Hanes, and Steve Rinella for being advocates.

So, here is my question: is this great news or is there cause for some concern that we are seeing new hunters at what seems like a incredible rate? The upsides are clear - there are more pro-hunters to support hunting and gun rights. Should I worry about the downsides? Six or Seven years ago I could pick up a decent Idaho OTC Elk tag in June. Now these tags are gone by January. Drawing tags gets harder every year, and the influx of new hunters will put many tags out of reach forever. Guided hunt prices have increased noticeably in the last few years. Help me get my mind right. Am I the only one worries about the new competition for opportunities?

Curious, did he explain why the sudden change of heart? Was it because of the instafamous hunters or was there more to it? If he really was a hard core anti gun/hunter then it would be nice to know what made him change his mind.

I have a feeling, with no sound science to back thisup, that the retention rate on these adult-onset hunters is going to be relatively low in the long term. It's easy to watch an instagram feed, youtube vid, etc... and see instant success in a 15 minute video but I've known a few that "got into it" only to get right back out when all the costs were weighed against a fairly low success rate.

Help the guy out..... he'll need all he can get.
I would definitely agree with this. I would think long term retention is going to be incredibly low as well.

BBob

WKR
Don‘t take him out on 12 mile backcountry wilderness elk hunt on his first outing.
Why not? I helped a guy get started hunting that is extremely experienced in the outdoors and fitter than 99.9% of hunters I've ever encountered, he just never hunted before. Probably a rarity but there are exceptions out there. This guy can and will go anywhere anytime without question and is fit enough that not much is hard for him. We took along one of his friends this year so he could see what it's all about and he's up next year. After this years kill new guy voluntarily loaded up the heaviest pack by far as a thank you for including him. There are good worthy ones out there. Yeah I'm taking crap for introducing capable hunters into the field that directly compete with us but hard to say no to good people and pay it forward in appreciation for those that mentored me. Oh, these guys will never use anything but their own quad power to go anywhere once we leave the truck :)

Curious, did he explain why the sudden change of heart? Was it because of the instafamous hunters or was there more to it? If he really was a hard core anti gun/hunter then it would be nice to know what made him change his mind.

Organic meat seems to be the big push now.

Unfortunately, that's going to be less sustainable than the current organic agriculture push.

I personally don’t believe that most of the people that have gotten into hunting over the last year or two will be hunting five years from now. Hunting is incredibly difficult and most people like the idea of doing hard things more than they actually like doing them.

When the MeatEater hype dies down in a few years and people move onto whatever the next “cool” thing is, hopefully they move onto their next hobbies with an appreciation of hunting and a proclivity to vote in ways that are beneficial for hunting and 2A.

BBob

WKR
I'm seeing a ton of this around here and in fact that was the driver for the guy I mentioned in the post above.

Edit: I'll add that they utilized more of the animal than I ever have or any hunter I've ever known. They kept practically everything edible (tongue, testicles, kidneys, etc..) and had a connection that wanted the hide to tan it. Impressive!

Last edited:

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider

Unfortunately, that's going to be less sustainable than the current organic agriculture push.
I agree with both of your statements. I have an old college buddy that really wants to get into hunting and the big reason is the clean meat.

WRM

WKR

Oh I don't know about the latter. I'm starting an organic cricket and earthworm bidness. Right now. Feel free to be my first influencer.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Baby steps when teaching previous anti about hunting. If you hunt with other guys, make sure they are okay with him tagging along.

AZ8

WKR
Why not? I helped a guy get started hunting that is extremely experienced in the outdoors and fitter than 99.9% of hunters I've ever encountered, he just never hunted before. Probably a rarity but there are exceptions out there. This guy can and will go anywhere anytime without question and is fit enough that not much is hard for him. We took along one of his friends this year so he could see what it's all about and he's up next year. After this years kill new guy voluntarily loaded up the heaviest pack by far as a thank you for including him. There are good worthy ones out there. Yeah I'm taking crap for introducing capable hunters into the field that directly compete with us but hard to say no to good people and pay it forward in appreciation for those that mentored me. Oh, these guys will never use anything but their own quad power to go anywhere once we leave the truck :)
Sure it can work. But I’ve seen it too many times guys taking out novice hunters who had no business being where they were.

I see it all the time with husbands and wives…For some reason the husband thinks it’s his tag and hunts his way, but that’s another topic for another day! 😀

In all seriousness, know the individual and proceed from there. Every situation is different.

Oh I don't know about the latter. I'm starting an organic cricket and earthworm bidness. Right now. Feel free to be my first influencer.

Influencer, heck I'll be an investor. Infact, how bought partner. I got all kinds of bull manure here that would be perfectly for dem earthworms.

CJ19

WKR
Problem is it will work.

Right now I need to get done with my hot dog franchise. Big Weiners.

Sell the hotdogs at small profit, but the tee-shirt sales....
Beyond sausage has it covered already bro.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-190520_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220403-190520_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
Beyond sausage has it covered already bro.

I don't think, I ♥️ Beyond Sausage has the same twang.

I ain't trying to disgrace a hotdog with none meat products. Just saying I gotta take things one project at a time. Was thinking about a mobile bikini waxing business too. Muff Cutts.

So many ideas, so little actual motivation to pursue them.

OP
S

Srp

FNG

It was literally Joe Rogan that changed his mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk