My friend has presented me with a hard choice...what would you do?

TauPhi111

WKR
Follow me on this one, it's a bit of a story. So I'm still pretty new to elk hunting. Been to Colorado twice for 3rd rifle and 1st rifle, and I've found elk both times, but they've either been right over the fence on private land or the wrong sex for my tag. My buddy has been wanting to come with me, so this year we were planning going out to Colorado for archery season where I went last year for his first elk hunt. We both have also starting building some points in some states, and he has this infatuation with Arizona. But instead of just buying the points, he applied for hunts.

Now my buddy is the luckiest SOB I know. By some stroke of black magic, on his first attempt with 0 points, he drew an AZ antelope tag. It was something like a .1% chance of drawing. So we changed our plans that half way through our elk hunt, he would leave and drive down to AZ for his antelope hunt, and I'd continue bowhunting in Colorado. Then the seemingly statistically impossible happens...he also drew a unit 4A archery elk tag on a leftover draw. Now he realizes that he is going to need help on these hunts, as he has never hunted elk before and his only back country experience has been a back country fly fishing trip in the summer, and wants me to come with him and forgo my own hunt, but he did offer to split the meat 50/50.

So herein lies my dilemma. Do I wish my friend good luck even though he bit off more than he could chew and go pursue my own goal of also killing my first elk? After coming close for two years, my determination to shoot one is as high as it ever was, and I also bought a brand new Hoyt Helix specifically to go after rutting elk this year. I'm dying to pull the trigger on one and finally cross that hurdle. ... Or do I put my pride and my own goals aside, realize that this is a rare opportunity to go hunt AZ and probably wouldn't draw that tag for a long long time like most people, and go assist my buddy and call for him? The chances of success seem to say that we have a better chance of coming home with half an elk each than me going by myself in Northern CO and getting one myself. He is also new to archery as he just got a new Hoyt as well this year...shot a crossbow for deer here in Ohio since I've known him, but he's learned to shoot pretty good already.

A couple things to consider: I can't go on the antelope hunt with him. I have a wedding I am in right in the middle of it (non hunting friends don't get it), so I'd have to fly out the day after the wedding right when the archery elk season starts. This would also be my only western hunt of the year. So far I've only been able to do 1 western trip a year, so I won't even be able to take my new bow with me out west until next year.

What would you all do?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I been on some awesome hunts helping someone else that drew a tag. I have a few guys giving up a portion of thier season this year to help me out on a buffalo hunt. Guess it comes down to what's important to you and if you think the friend would do the same if it was your luckily streak instead of his.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds to me like the two of you had plans to hunt together and he is now changing that. If it was reversed, would you expect him to drop his hunt to join you? Sometimes you have to sacrifice your own wants to be a good friend, sometimes you have a friend that expects you to. If it's the latter, I'd go on my own hunt. I sure wouldn't want any of my buddies to quit a dream hunt to help me out.

Jbehredt

WKR
If he would do the same for you I’d go help him out. Lately I have as much fun just carrying a bugle tube while my friends and family carry their bows.

marktole

WKR
Man, that's a tough one, but I think I would head to AZ and help him out. The quality experience of that hunt (less hunters, potentially more vocal and responsive bulls, big bulls) has some serious potential.

Not to mention, if you call in an elk and he shoots it, he'll owe you some calling next year and can maybe repay the favor.

Rich M

WKR
I think if you have the right mindset, that you could have a lot of fun. Just make sure your buddy would be amendable to giving up his hunt to help you out in the future. If he is - hang on to him. Most folks aren't that good of friends.

BTW - give him a ration for applying without you. Group apps only in the future.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
I'd ditch the wedding too. Unless it was a wife's friend of course. Hahaha
Funny you mention that because it is my girlfriend's friend and we're both in the wedding party. The groom is a good dude and has become one of my better friends too so I'm cool with it. He helped me drag my buck out of the woods this past year.

87TT

WKR
Well I guess that changes it. You said non hunting friends. Oh well. Have fun in AZ anyway.

elkguide

WKR
Arizona is beautiful in the fall.

You'll have an awesome time and next year in Colorado,
the bulls you "let go" this year will be even BIGGER!!!!!

Fatcamp

WKR
It surprises me how many people get married during hunting season.

Bad idea, and a recipe for conflict down the road.

Go to AZ gets my vote.

If he’s a really good friend, I’d go with him on the Az elk hunt.

But- only if he really puts in 100% pre-season to get in shape, study maps or go out there scouting, and really puts in the time with his bow.

If he’s only going to put in half effort and expect you to do it all for him, I’d get him a list of outfitters and wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
If he's a good friend, I'd go to Arizona. However, It sounds like a recipe for a flop. It sounds obvious that he's bit off more than he can chew. I'd be prepared for him to bail on his hunt early if things get tough. Too many would be Western hunters bail before the end of a hunt when they realize it isn't a Primos style hunt. I hope I'm wrong and it goes great, but I'd be prepared to go to CO if he backs out part way through.

In addition, the two of you need to get on the same page about when and where with your application strategy if you plan to continue traveling West together.

Hunting out west on the road doesn't always work between "friends" unless you are like minded and have similar goals and willingness to work. A couple weeks away from family in the backcountry cooped up with a "friend" can cause little things that irritate you to become big problems.

lif

WKR
I’m heading to Colorado this year with my hunting partner to hunt a good third season buck tag. Now I have a few thoughts that make this a no brainer for me. 1. He’s been my best friend for 30 years. 2. He gives me half the meat because he knows how much I value that. 3. He would absolutely do the same for me. 4. We discussed the plan before he has even applied for the hunt. 5. I don’t need to pull the trigger to enjoy the hunt.

I’m excited to go on the trip and help him every way possible. Nothing like that cheer and hug after a good friend or relative has success in the field. I would consider all these things and then some. Good luck.