My friend has presented me with a hard choice...what would you do?

Dillon L

FNG
I would head to AZ. I promise when your 75 you won’t regret seeing new country, going on a rare hunt and helping out friends.

Jardo

WKR
I enjoy hunting. I don’t really care if I’m pulling the trigger or my buddies are whacking em... I’m happy either way.

For me, it’s a no brainer... I’d take the draw hunts in AZ all day long over an OTC Colorado tag. But that’s just me... killing isn’t hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Go to AZ !! Some of my best times have been on other hunts where I don't have a tag. Save that tag money this season, put in for CO points maybe? - and just head to AZ with your friend.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, with most everyone, if he's a good friend I'd be headed to Arizona in a heart beat.

Unless rules/regs change, Colorado Elk will always be there (OTC), limited entry Az might not.

I enjoy my time outdoors hunting with my good friends whether I'm pulling the trigger or they are.

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
This is the reason I love this forum...the guys and gals here got it right! There is more to hunting than killing an elk.. finding a true hunting partner is extremely rare.. if you have one, treasure it!

I've had some awesome hunts by myself, but honestly I think I'd prefer just a good hunt with a friend that appreciates it as much as I do. The "happiness is only real when shared" thing is real--to me at least.

If it were me and my hunting buddy I'd be in AZ so fast it'd make your head spin.

This year we applied in WY together, didn't draw, then AZ and NM separately trying to increase our odds, party app out now in MT, and he also applies in ID. There's a chance we draw multiple tags but it's a low chance and we're willing to make that gamble and we'll work it out if it happens. I'd be thrilled to get to go on a great hunt, even if it's just helping.

Btaylor

WKR
Sorry this is a bit off topic but this thread is what anti's do not understand and one of the things that we should do a better job educating the non hunters on...the hunt is not always about the kill.

How long is the AZ hunt planned for? If it were me and assuming the dates align, I would be heading to AZ and bringing my bow with the idea that if he tags out quick, you guys are heading north to an OTC unit in Colorado for a few days and he gets to be the caller while you carry the bow around.

Arizona baby! Reads like you are relatively young. You’ll have a lot of time, I hope, to hunt elk and form your core group. I’ve been hunting elk for 51 years, none of the guys I started with are still around, they didn’t pony up when they could have. My crew is from 20 to 30 years younger.
You’ve set the bar high by going along, that’s good. Elk hunting is just to important to waste on people you can’t count on.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for all your support guys. It didn't take much convincing for me to decide that AZ is the way to go, but it's also nice to see some of you see my plight (looking at you Mike 338). Makes me feel not so selfish. We have been discussing it about every other day, and I would like to go, but unfortunately season dates and this wedding are making logistics a real bitch. We both want to make sure each of us makes effective use of our limited time. Problem is elk season starts the 13th, and I wont be able to get down to AZ until the 16th because I'm in this wedding as I've explained before. So I'd be missing the first 4 days of the hunt off the bat.

Now I said before, my buddy isn't a bad hunter, just has no elk experience. Also, his resources are "plentiful" - already has 2 scouting trips planned over the summer. He has also reached out to some locals over on Hunt Talk and has got one guy offering to scout with him and show him some spots. That said it seems he's gonna be poised for success. That makes me want to be there more, but missing the first 4 days, I might even miss out on the whole hunt. It'd be disappointing if I got down there just in time for the pack out and that's it.

So we've come up with this plan of action: Depending on what happens with work in the next couple months, I may or may not be able to take even more time off to hunt. I plan to go do my colorado hunt - if the action is on and I'm having encounters every day, I'll stay til I get one or have to go home. Maybe that'll be early or maybe it'll take 2 weeks. But if I do tag out early or I just can't find an elk to shoot, I'll go home early with time to spare, and if my friends still hasn't punched a tag by the 15th, I'll hop on a plane, likely very hung over, and finish out his AZ hunt.

Sound like a solid plan?

stonewall

WKR
i didn't read all the replies...

I'd go to AZ no doubt. to me that would be more beneficial to you than co otc. you'll learn more about elk behaviour and will likely boost your confidence for next year. if he kills one early, drive to co and hunt otc if you can

zallen1

FNG
Tough call that I can appreciate. The experience you'll gain from calling elk in AZ will be valuable for future hunts in CO. You'll also get to experience a hunt that most can only dream of. There are no guarantees in hunting. Would you regret not going with your friend if you came home from Colorado without an elk? Whatever your choice good luck!

mproberts

WKR
Then the seemingly statistically impossible happens...he also drew a unit 4A archery elk tag on a leftover draw.

Just wondering, has your buddy contacted the Hopi Tribe to see what access is allowed for that 4A leftover tag? Just wondering how much restrictions they place on it or if they want an access fee or require a Hopi guide to be with you.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Just wondering, has your buddy contacted the Hopi Tribe to see what access is allowed for that 4A leftover tag? Just wondering how much restrictions they place on it or if they want an access fee or require a Hopi guide to be with you.
He has access to the whole unit with his tag.

Like others have I think it depend on how good of friends you two are. But, did you know he was applying for this tag when he did? You guys should have decided what was going to happen if he drew then. I feel like "he" has put you in a hard place, or you would not be asking the question.

Yea if I ask my buddy to give up his hunt so I could have mine, 50% of the meat for sure and I would bear a greater responsibility of the expenses.

Let us know how this works out.

Finch

WKR
Save the money you would have spent on an elk tag and learn the game on his dime! It would be a good experience either way. Good luck!

jsbowhunt

FNG
I agree if it's a good friend I'd go to AZ, but that being said, if that were the case you wouldn't be on here asking for opinions ……..
Just saying
Good luck either way !!!

CaseyD

FNG
I’d do Az for sure. Good times with buddies on that one! I have 8 points myself.... good for him, go enjoy it