My gear experience in Sd

I went South Dakota and hunt ny a lot. I bought gear and very regretful. Sitka outfits well I was cold in October they said I would be comfortable below 30 degrees. The small 2 inch cactus in SD destroyed the clothing on a stalk crawl. Also while hunting it’s tight short fit exposed my inner thermals and let in the cold. I bought pnuma outdoors soft shell quite clothing again they said I’d be comfortable at 30 degrees. I returned it upon arrival. You could see through the fabric in the light shoulder fit was terrible and restrictive they advertise perfect for Bow hunting arm fit was too tight. I bought badlands merino wool it seemed ok for keeping me dry on the move but again it’s cold. It stunk while wet. I found myself traveling to Walmart and buying wrangler riggs and dickies duck cloth pants. This kept the cactus out of my legs and privates and belly that my Sitka gear got destroyed in. I slept in my tent in my kryptek extreme weather bibs and a under amour sweater this was good in a sleeping bag. I found myself not stalking strategically with Sitka but cautious of further ruining my clothing to avoid more tears. My kryptek took a beating but the inner primaloft layer kept me warm I packed it away in my tent so I wouldn’t freeze to death at night. When it rained my Camo tarp kept me dry not clothing. Lessons I learned expensive gear are expensive mistakes that were terrible. What didn’t let me down we’re real tree thermal under layers My Irish setter boots and my dale earnhart jr mid layer jacket. A mid layer Yukon gear jacket. The primaloft clothing was a life saver at night. All that expensive gear is basically just polyester. And most polyester clothing is around 40$ Retail price at any store. I destroyed/damaged 3 Sitka sets. Damaged my kryptek extreme weather bibs. I was saved by heavy duty work clothing. Kept warm by thermals and primaloft. A tarp was essential for survival and dryness. I did get my antelope.

If you want to bicker about high end clothing, you've probably joined the wrong forum. To each their own.

KurtR

WKR
I went South Dakota and hunt ny a lot. I bought gear and very regretful. Sitka outfits well I was cold in October they said I would be comfortable below 30 degrees. The small 2 inch cactus in SD destroyed the clothing on a stalk crawl. Also while hunting it’s tight short fit exposed my inner thermals and let in the cold. I bought pnuma outdoors soft shell quite clothing again they said I’d be comfortable at 30 degrees. I returned it upon arrival. You could see through the fabric in the light shoulder fit was terrible and restrictive they advertise perfect for Bow hunting arm fit was too tight. I bought badlands merino wool it seemed ok for keeping me dry on the move but again it’s cold. It stunk while wet. I found myself traveling to Walmart and buying wrangler riggs and dickies duck cloth pants. This kept the cactus out of my legs and privates and belly that my Sitka gear got destroyed in. I slept in my tent in my kryptek extreme weather bibs and a under amour sweater this was good in a sleeping bag. I found myself not stalking strategically with Sitka but cautious of further ruining my clothing to avoid more tears. My kryptek took a beating but the inner primaloft layer kept me warm I packed it away in my tent so I wouldn’t freeze to death at night. When it rained my Camo tarp kept me dry not clothing. Lessons I learned expensive gear are expensive mistakes that were terrible. What didn’t let me down we’re real tree thermal under layers My Irish setter boots and my dale earnhart jr mid layer jacket. A mid layer Yukon gear jacket. The primaloft clothing was a life saver at night. All that expensive gear is basically just polyester. And most polyester clothing is around 40$ Retail price at any store. I destroyed/damaged 3 Sitka sets. Damaged my kryptek extreme weather bibs. I was saved by heavy duty work clothing. Kept warm by thermals and primaloft. A tarp was essential for survival and dryness. I did get my antelope.

Haha you were cold at 30 that’s still shorts and tshirt weather in Sodak . 5 th year on my timberlines and they are in good shape other than a barb wire fence which tears the shit out of my carharts just the same. My go to is a light weight base layer with the core heavyweight and a light base underneath the timberlines to the teens if the wind is really whipping put on a wind blocker while glassing. If it was really that cold it shouldn’t have been raining as it freezes and turns to snow. Those cactus will f anything up short of leather chaps just part of the game. Seems another case of expecting clothing to do something it was not designed for. Could have just as easily been 80 then you would have bitched about to hot. Great part about here is wait a day the weather will change and the cactus keeps people from coming back

Boardies and flippy floppies if it’s 30 out in sodak.

what do they say?

don’t be a wuss?

oh and don’t crawl through cactus. Just a hint.

sitka gear is junk.. shoulda asked me

but since you didn’t. Toadaso

fatlander

WKR
There isn’t any gear that Sitka (or anyone else) makes that’s designed to keep you warm down to 30 in a treestand while not being ridiculously hot for spot and stalk hunting. They’re two completely different applications that require completely different clothing.

Spot and stalk at 30 - I can wear timberlines and a core heavy weight hoodie and stay plenty warm.

Treestand at 30 - I need stratus pants with a heavy base layer and a fanatic vest over top of the heavyweight hoodie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent first post my man! Just a quick tip for future posts, sprinkle a little bit of Tikka in your story and maybe a hint of swfa, these guys will be chomping at the bit to console you.