My Gear List - CO Archery

September needs to hurry up and arrive. I'm going crazy. Anyways, I was putting together a spreadsheet of what will be coming with me in CO in September and figured I'd put it here for critique/help for anyone who wants a jumping off point of their own. I don't have the food sorted yet, but this is for 10 days or so.
Pack:Shelter:Clothes(packed):Clothes(Worn):Water/CookStuff:Kill Kit:
Kifaru Duplex FrameKifaru SuperTarp with AnnexKuiu Chugach Rain JacketDarn Tough boot cushionSoto Amicus stove5 Tag BOMB bags
Kifaru Reckoning Packground clothKryptek Takur Rain Pantsblack ovis briefsfuel canistercitric acid powder
Kifaru Guide LidThermarest NeoAir XTherm padDarn Tough Boot Cushion (1x)Wrangler outdoor cargo pantslightersmall spray bottle
Leki Trekking PolesEE 10 degree down quiltBlack Ovis briefs (1x)T-shirt for hikingtitanium sporknitrile gloves
Costco Puffy JacketBoonie hatToaks 750 ml potsmall pullout bag
Kuiu fleece hoody(240 wt)Kenetreck Mountain Extreme bootsPlatypus ziptop 3L (empty)60' paracord
merino glovesBuff neck gaitersawyer squeeze as gravity filter
beaniePlatypus 3L bladder (full)Gerber Fixed blade
First Lite Wick (hooded)platypus 1L blader(empty)
aqua tabs as backup
Coozie
First Aid Kit:Toiletries:Electronics:Misc:Weapon:Optics:
bandaidstoilet paperGarmin InReachbic lighterBlackWidow PMAFHF bino harness
neosporinwet wipesIphonematchsafe w/strike anywheresThunderhorn quiverwind checker
tweezersmedsAnker battery packdryer lint3 broadhead arrowspetzl elight headlamp
israeli bandagehand sanitizervaselline cotton balls2 small game arrowscompass
gold bond powderspare contactsKindleblack diamond headlamp6 spare arrows (in pack)Nikon Monarch HG 10x42/outdoorsman bino stud
leukotapeeye dropsallen wrenches for bow/quiver3 spare broadheads(in pack)Outdoorsman Bino adapter/arca swiss detach plate
matchestoothepasteelectrical tapetabbenro s2 tripod
superglue?toothbrushclip shotstringerDiscontinued Tripod head
flaggingarm guardKowa 773 Spotter/arca swiss detach plate
moleskinspare stringThermarest zpad glassing seat
Face paintphone scope adapter and phone case
Benchmade BugoutSig Kilo 1600 rangefinder
Thick wool socks for final stalk
viam shade tarp
DMT diamond stone

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
List looks pretty good. If you are looking to cut weight there are a few items that could be left in the vehicle. (Kindle, spotting scope, tripod, spare arrows, spare broad heads). I’m not familiar with your head lamps, would be good if they used the same batteries as each other and as GPS. Also may have missed it - spare batteries?

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
List looks pretty good. If you are looking to cut weight there are a few items that could be left in the vehicle. (Kindle, spotting scope, tripod, spare arrows, spare broad heads). I’m not familiar with your head lamps, would be good if they used the same batteries as each other and as GPS. Also may have missed it - spare batteries?
Tripod and spotting scope are a must for high country mule deer IMO. I'm honestly not fussed about the weight there. As for spare batteries, I've never brought any, other than the Anker charging station.

Tripod and spotting scope are a must for high country mule deer IMO. I'm honestly not fussed about the weight there. As for spare batteries, I've never brought any, other than the Anker charging station.
You have an extra tab / string? I've lost releases/tabs just going to my whitetail stands. God Forbid I did on an elk hunt without a backup. It also takes 1 swing of a broadhead to need a new string.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
You have an extra tab / string? I've lost releases/tabs just going to my whitetail stands. God Forbid I did on an elk hunt without a backup. It also takes 1 swing of a broadhead to need a new string.
Yes, there's an extra string, no there's not an extra tab. Tab rides looped around an arrow in my quiver. Probably something I should add to the kit though.

Paper quadrangle(s) of area in a gallon Ziploc? (I usually toss in a few printed Google Earth photos of specific hotspots also.)

CB4

WKR
Things I would cut:
Matches - why have two types? Your lighter in your cook kit should be plenty if it is new, one thing of matches as backup
Hand sanitizer
Dryer lint - the Vaseline cotton balls will be plenty if you take 1-2/day

Things I would add:
Allergy & Pain Meds (assuming your meds in toiletries are things you take daily)

This is the former medic in me speaking, but I don't go into the woods without a SOF-T Tourniquet. I prefer the SOF-T over the CAT because I have personally snapped the windlass of a CAT on a leg before. I've not verified myself, but have heard rumor that many units are changing their SOP's to specify SOF-Ts for lower extremities. Not sure how much they weigh, but they're easy insurance.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
This is the former medic in me speaking, but I don't go into the woods without a SOF-T Tourniquet. I prefer the SOF-T over the CAT because I have personally snapped the windlass of a CAT on a leg before. I've not verified myself, but have heard rumor that many units are changing their SOP's to specify SOF-Ts for lower extremities. Not sure how much they weigh, but they're easy insurance.
I'm packing the Israeli bandage as multi use and I can use it on myself. Is the SOF-T applicable in a solo situation?

Last edited:

Dirtbag

WKR
I'd probably ditch the spray bottle and citric acid. You have quality game bags and assuming you'll be at higher elevations it'll be pretty cool in the shade. For a deer you should be able to get it out in two trips, if not one.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I'd probably ditch the spray bottle and citric acid. You have quality game bags and assuming you'll be at higher elevations it'll be pretty cool in the shade. For a deer you should be able to get it out in two trips, if not one.
I'm not gonna say you're wrong, because you're most likely right. But I don't have any guarantees on finding shade, temps at kill time, or how deep I have to go. And I like my kill kit to stay the same at all times, so it just goes with me.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Quick question, what is the citric acid powder used for? Meat protection during pack out?
Yes. It will keep flies off, lower the acidity of the meat's surface to prevent bacterial growth, and generally lets you get a lot more hang time before you need ice. Alaska fish and game has an article on it somewhere on their website. It's really useful for guys who are stuck waiting on a plane for days.