My gear list for September Colorado bear hunting. How does it look?

workethic

FNG
A buddy and I will be heading to western Colorado for our bear hunt. We will be there for 8 days starting on 9/2/2020. I am not new to hunting black bear, but I am new to camping above 8,000ft if the hunt calls for it and if we don't develop elevation sickness. The highest we have been is about 6800-7000ft, so we dont know how we will react. We mostly plan to keep our camp near the truck under 8k ft, but if we are healthy and find good sign we may pack in a few miles. Both of us are in good shape and have been training for this hunt since the start of the year. We are also not new, to backpacking in. We are not city boys and have good woodsmanship skills, but with that I know to respect the power that mother nature has. I also know not to underestimate the mountains, so I am reaching out to all of you. We have both have done considerable research not only for the hunt, but also to make sure we are safe and prepared. As I work in law enforcement I know that when others make stupid mistakes it usually leads to others getting them out of it, I dont want to be "that guy." I wont get into my clothing, but I do have a high end layering system and outer layers with a full rain set up. I invested in a pair of Crispi Idaho's. My rifle is accurate and I practice regularly shooting off my pack out to 600 yards in various conditions (I dont plan on shooting anywhere near that far) Hopefully this should answer any of those types of questions. And here is the list of gear essentials I'll be bringing. (Please feel free to make any recommendations!) (We are both trained beyond basic first aid)

3 person tent (of good quality) and tarps to make an additional shelter for gear if needed
MR Metcalf pack with zoid bags and 2 forager pockets
Vortex razor 10x52 with harness and vortex tripod (used for both binos and spotter)
Vortex razor spotter (I dont know the specs, I will be borrowing it from my dad)
Garmin Rhino GPS w/ onx (I dont like to use my phone if I dont need to) A compass (I know how to use it)
First aid kits one larger (kept in the truck) and 2 smaller (1 in each pack) put together by my buddy who is a combat medic
Multitool and a fixed blade knife. Also a folding saw
2 lighters and cottonballs soaked in vasiline
wet wipes and tp
water purification filtration (1 large 5 gallon jug of water stored in truck)
Jet stove 1 pot and spork
20ft of paracord total (a lot I know, but I use it as a knife handle as well
6 ft of duct tape & 1 tube of superglue
20 degree synthetic sleeping bag and sleeping pad
2x headlamps
small hygene items toothbrush etc...
chapstick
Extra charging banks for gear
Trekking poles
Game bags
Range finder
Extra batteries most gear runs on triple A.
1 pair extra socks
Food (dehydrated for pack in and regular food if we camp near the truck)
Coffee and tea bags
Snacks (candy bars, trail mix and etc)
Small propane stove for tailgate cooking if we camp near the truck.

I am sure I havent listed everything and I obviously wont be packing everything in, but I like the idea of knowing I have exactly what I need at the truck in an emergency.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not quite what you where asking, and may be covering something you already know, but stay well hydrated and it should help with altitude sickness. Try to sleep at lower elevations, this is especially helpful if you push high during the day, then drop back down to sleep as it will aid in acclamation.

At and below 8000 feet it is unlikely you will have problem, but awareness is good.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Not quite what you where asking, and may be covering something you already know, but stay well hydrated and it should help with altitude sickness. Try to sleep at lower elevations, this is especially helpful if you push high during the day, then drop back down to sleep as it will aid in acclamation.

At and below 8000 feet it is unlikely you will have problem, but awareness is good.

Thanks for the help! The areas I picked to hunt all have a camp location below 8k. Right now I am sitting at 1200ft, so I feel that this is a major component to the enjoyment of my hunt. I am a guy that likes to plan everything out at and have a backup plan is plan "Z" fails lol.

j33

WKR
Drink a ton of water even if you don't feel thirsty on your travel/arrival day and stay the first night before hunting the next day.

Maybe buy some other OTC tags in the area in case you see deer/elk? Small lense cleaner? Glassing foam buttrest (cheap on amazon)? Leuco tape? Sunscreen? How's the bugs around there? Kill kit (search lots of posts on this)? Maybe compare your pack with your buddy, don't both need folding saws something as simple as an old sawzall blade with taped grip could be enough.

bsnedeker

WKR
Personally I would recommend you each have your own tent rather than share a 3 man. I've shared a 3 man tent with my father in law once....ONCE! A good nights sleep is worth the extra weight, bulk, and expense in my opinion.

And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about altitude if you are looking at 8K. Know the symptoms of altitude sickness, but I highly doubt you'll have an issue.

What are you using for a sit pad? For long days glassing I can't recommend the Helinox Zero chair enough...that thing is dope.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Drink a ton of water even if you don't feel thirsty on your travel/arrival day and stay the first night before hunting the next day.

Maybe buy some other OTC tags in the area in case you see deer/elk? Small lense cleaner? Glassing foam buttrest (cheap on amazon)? Leuco tape? Sunscreen? How's the bugs around there? Kill kit (search lots of posts on this)? Maybe compare your pack with your buddy, don't both need folding saws something as simple as an old sawzall blade with taped grip could be enough.

Thanks for the reply! We are pretty dedicated to bear hunting and we know our odds are much lower, but after doing several years of bear hunting I think the biggest mistake people make in not getting a bear is not focusing 100% on bears because other game is more available. I was tempted though I am not going to lie lol. I keep my lense cleaning in by bino bivy, but thanks for reminding me I need to check that to make sure it is up to par! I figure the bugs cant be worse than northern minnesota ticks, flies and mosquitos at the boundary waters and we can survive them pretty good, but I am probably underestimating the area. Great idea on comparing the pack and not doubling up on gear that we wouldnt need 2 of! Thank you for the help.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Personally I would recommend you each have your own tent rather than share a 3 man. I've shared a 3 man tent with my father in law once....ONCE! A good nights sleep is worth the extra weight, bulk, and expense in my opinion.

And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about altitude if you are looking at 8K. Know the symptoms of altitude sickness, but I highly doubt you'll have an issue.

What are you using for a sit pad? For long days glassing I can't recommend the Helinox Zero chair enough...that thing is dope.

I have been thinking about the sit pad and maybe upgrading, but I have a hard time forking over the money for that chair. I have only heard good things about it though. I wish somewhere around me sold one so I could try it out! We have been sharing a tent on our backpacking trips for a long time. Been friends with him since we were in the 6th grade. If something annoys me I'll just punch him lol. Thank you for replying and lending a hand!

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Curious what you use the folding saw for. Cutting up firewood?

A bunch of things. Cut a branch in my way (dead trees only), cutting bones like the ribs into racks to pack out and Bone in bear shank is tasty!, Cutting branches for shelters. I have found it too useful to leave at home. Same saw since I was 16 and is super light. It aint pretty, but it is almost sacrilegious to leave it at home.

kct802

FNG
@OP

I wasn't on here in time to offer any gear suggestions but how did your hunt go?