My goat packing experiment

Wags

WKR
Well done, I'll be tracking this and picking your brain as I get closer to getting out of my current state to an area where I'll be able to have a few myself.

So if you stay overnight, do you tie them up? I'm in East TN and pack goats look like they could work in the national forest here.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
I got them out on their first overnight trip this weekend and here is what I learned:

1. Switchbacks are confusing and leading the front goat around them helps them figure it out
2. Goat coats are a must. Trying to tarp up goats in some areas where trees are limited is difficult, plus they fight for room under the tarps or get tangled up.
3. I’ve heard it before but they sure do love the sound of a granola bar wrapper and will get in your face, proceed with caution lol
4. Having someone in the back and the front helps them keep pace, otherwise they tend to stop and eat every yummy looking plant and fall behind.
5. They are more fun to have around in the backcountry than I could have imagined and I can’t wait to do it again.

Also some people were asking about packs coming loose/holding up. Zero issues with the saddles. They worked great.

Enjoy some photos below:
64974B30-73C9-41FC-AE81-3B28F0EE7F51.jpeg26ACD0BC-1FB5-4DF3-90B0-07E60957CF4D.jpegB855FB96-BB16-417D-9AF0-5BBA947AEACF.jpeg396CDE00-7735-4685-9032-894B06C3D24D.jpeg0B4267FC-C04C-4FAF-BCE9-7848BD150DD1.jpeg

Attachments

• 733E2BB8-42B7-462B-95EC-6499D8498EE8.jpeg
    733E2BB8-42B7-462B-95EC-6499D8498EE8.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 45

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any issues with them making too much noise in camp when they are tied up?
We use a string of pack goats here in the Ozarks to take vets, LEO's, and first responders out hunting and fishing on public land.
*Check out Snake Mountain Pack Goats in FB and IG*
The goats make a great alarm system at night and when on their bank line. Otherwise they are as quiet as horses, maybe a little more so.
Never hunted with llamas so I have no comparison for that one.
When we are actively hiking they just follow us around in a very dog-like manner. When we bump into deer or other critters they generally stare at us and the goats without spooking for a good moment. Suspect that they are trying to figure out what a goat is and ignore us (or can't smell us over the goat smell?).

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I got my string of 1 1/2 year olds out for their first overnighter with packs on 3. They did great and as far as sleeping goes they were silent all night until about 5:00 in the morning, but even then it was just faint sounds of feeding.
At the beginning of each day they would battle to be in front (all youngsters with no real alpha) and would almost be pushing me and I'd have to back them off, but after a mile or so they settle in line pretty good.
It's very cool how well they follow and there were zero issues with the packs. 16 miles over 2 days and 4,000 ft climb to the peak at 10,700 ft.received_535965278325487.jpegreceived_780002860108615.jpeg

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
I got my string of 1 1/2 year olds out for their first overnighter with packs on 3. They did great and as far as sleeping goes they were silent all night until about 5:00 in the morning, but even then it was just faint sounds of feeding.
At the beginning of each day they would battle to be in front (all youngsters with no real alpha) and would almost be pushing me and I'd have to back them off, but after a mile or so they settle in line pretty good.
It's very cool how well they follow and there were zero issues with the packs. 16 miles over 2 days and 4,000 ft climb to the peak at 10,700 ft.View attachment 434917View attachment 434918
Thats awesome! I love to see it.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few pictures from my elk hunt in Montana with them! Definitely a learning curve hunting with 4 goats in following you trying to hunt elk with a bow.

No issues with the packs at all. Pretty happy with how everything performed except for my elk killing abilities.

View attachment 457852View attachment 457853
View attachment 457854
Awesome. We've had them out a few times now, but my brother took 3 goats bow hunting and got into the elk thick. His comments were that the elk didn't get spooked by the goats, but didn't want to hang around them either. They would look at the goats for a second and then slowly wander away. However, he was able to sneak back to about bow range multiple times, with lots of cows and multiple bulls working around them.
He did say that if you're not packing camp while hunting, he would probably stuff the other paniers into one goats paniers because it was noisier than he liked with 3 goats with paniers rubbing through the brush and branches.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
I have been working on more panniers for them in my down time this winter. Can’t wait to get out on some more overnight trips this summer.
0F74DF2C-216E-461A-ADFA-05BD9BB9CFDD.jpeg
C9E1D5A9-D3F1-4030-8273-472249056C2E.jpeg

packer58

WKR
I had pack horses for a few years and had a lot of fun with them, but i gotta say i'm a little jealous of your pack goat string ...... Very nice ...

Your pack saddles look awesome!! Where did you get your felt from for the saddles? I made a few saddles and glued closed cell foam to the board and covered it with ripstop nylon so it wouldn't pull their hair. Your saddles are definitely a step up. Did you purchase a Marc Warnke saddle or come up with the dimensions on your own?

Here are 2 of my guys from an archery hunt in 2021.

Attachments

• 20210916_081849.jpg
    20210916_081849.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210913_133802.jpg
    20210913_133802.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
Your pack saddles look awesome!! Where did you get your felt from for the saddles? I made a few saddles and glued closed cell foam to the board and covered it with ripstop nylon so it wouldn't pull their hair. Your saddles are definitely a step up. Did you purchase a Marc Warnke saddle or come up with the dimensions on your own?

I came up with everything myself just copied it based on pictures. It took some things a couple tries to get right. The felt my dad ordered but I think he got it from “the felt store”.

I came up with everything myself just copied it based on pictures. It took some things a couple tries to get right. The felt my dad ordered but I think he got it from “the felt store”.
You did awesome work, the saddles and panniers look good.

GoatPackr

WKR

Love that pic of your Lamancha!!
I've been around goats for years and could never stand the Lamancha looks. They look like burn victims.
I now own 1 Lamancha/alpine and 1 pure Lamancha and they are quickly growing on me for packers. Still think they are very strange looking with no ears. They don't get as big as a good alpine but have other strong qualities.
These 2 boys are coming up on 2 years old and will be wearing saddles in a few months. I've learned that is when the truth really starts to come out as for if they will make it as packers.

Kris

Love that pic of your Lamancha!!
I've been around goats for years and could never stand the Lamancha looks. They look like burn victims.
I now own 1 Lamancha/alpine and 1 pure Lamancha and they are quickly growing on me for packers. Still think they are very strange looking with no ears. They don't get as big as a good alpine but have other strong qualities.
These 2 boys are coming up on 2 years old and will be wearing saddles in a few months. I've learned that is when the truth really starts to come out as for if they will make it as packers.

Kris
Kris,
I dont see the pictures if you attached them. That's awesome to hear you gave the lamancha breed a chance! They do look a bit goofy and he has the personality to match! He is probably the smartest goat I have and the least food motivated. The lamancha is the alpha in the pasture and a follower on the trail. My alpine is smaller than I would like, my kiddo picked him, but super friendly and loyal.
I also have one saanen, I'm excited to see what he can do. My nubian is probably the most friendly and hardest working on the trail but he gets bullied in the pasture. I also have a mix goat who does pretty well.
Hopefully this year I can cover some miles with them before the hunting season!