My Henry Mt Deer hunt

OP
MuleyFever

MuleyFever

So if you read my .45 muzzleloader thread you know I decided to try going with a Knight .45 cal Mountaineer barrel swap since I have a .50 Knight UL. I got the barrel in and it bolted right to my UL stock perfectly. I also ordered a Lehigh breach plug. The breach plug threads in the .45 cal barrel are kinda rough and appear to be threaded a bit shallow compared to my .50. I have to really force the bolt down with the Lehigh plug. It is .05" longer than the stock plug. With the stock plug in I still have to push the bolt down with some force. I am going to just use the stock plug. I hope to get out to shoot it soon but it may be 2 weeks as I have to work next weekend. I am going to try the Powerbelt ELR first just because its the easy button. If they dont shoot I will buy a smooth sizer and start trying some other bullets. One of my co-workers just got some Pittmans and he is shooting them under MOA out to 400 yards in his custom .45. I am also waiting to get some BH209 from a generous Rokslider. 0606211928.jpg

OP
MuleyFever

MuleyFever

Got my last new big piece of gear, the Kowa 773. I am surprised at the size of this thing for being 77mm. The overall size is smaller than I expected. It still has the girth being 77mm but it is not much longer than the 60mm I have. The wide angle eye piece gives a great view and the resolution at 60x is really good. Looking forward to viewing some deer with it. Now I just need a phone adapter so I can share some pics from my scouting trips with you all.

SDHNTR

Hopefully you find some help. Those Utah posses are either family (lots of large extended families from Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) or they are paid for (Mossback sort of started it).

It’s such a rare tag you really should take advantage of it! One thought is the video footage for a true 200” kill is worth something... try considering leveraging that- call Doyle, Tines Up crew, HUSH, or someone just starting Up trying to make it on YouTube etc, and see if they want to video rights for the hunt for putting you on a good buck. I know they have done that on the Antelope island hunt
Congrats on the tag! Personally, the above is the absolute last thing I would do! Potentially risk a once in a lifetime tag on the worlds greatest mule deer hunt just so some wannabe famous clowns can up their numbers of fake friends or profit off of your hunt from their legions of sheep? Not a chance! Plus, you would have to tuck your ears inside your flat brim bro hat.

Sure, film the thing if you want, but do it your way, and your way alone, on your terms.

wildwilderness

Congrats on the tag! Personally, the above is the absolute last thing I would do! Potentially risk a once in a lifetime tag on the worlds greatest mule deer hunt just so some wannabe famous clowns can up their numbers of fake friends or profit off of your hunt from their legions of sheep? Not a chance! Plus, you would have to tuck your ears inside your flat brim bro hat.

Sure, film the thing if you want, but do it your way, and your way alone, on your terms.

HaHa, I Know that many would never go that route. Just responding to the initial post where the lucky tag holder said they had no help in the Henry's and lived far away to scout, and would potentially go solo.

I know many would have different resources available and probably more time to personally scout, more experience etc.

But to show up solo, without out ever being in the unit, and limited time, the expectation to kill a legit 200" net buck would be unrealistic at best. So if you are fine going Solo DIY and happy with maybe a 175" buck vs looking for other hunters (who wear flat brims, but are actually nice kids) who would want to "help" and might know where a 200"er is, is up to you.

I just hope I draw that tag some day

SDHNTR

HaHa, I Know that many would never go that route. Just responding to the initial post where the lucky tag holder said they had no help in the Henry's and lived far away to scout, and would potentially go solo.

I know many would have different resources available and probably more time to personally scout, more experience etc.

But to show up solo, without out ever being in the unit, and limited time, the expectation to kill a legit 200" net buck would be unrealistic at best. So if you are fine going Solo DIY and happy with maybe a 175" buck vs looking for other hunters (who wear flat brims, but are actually nice kids) who would want to "help" and might know where a 200"er is, is up to you.

I just hope I draw that tag some day
I get it. Nothing wrong with hiring a guide for that hunt! I'd go that route before I rounded up troops of Social Media attention whores. I'd want somebody invested in the success of MY hunt, not someone more concerned with capturing footage for their own promotional benefits. Just me.

To the OP, I wish you the best and hope you kill a giant.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got my last new big piece of gear, the Kowa 773. I am surprised at the size of this thing for being 77mm. The overall size is smaller than I expected. It still has the girth being 77mm but it is not much longer than the 60mm I have. The wide angle eye piece gives a great view and the resolution at 60x is really good. Looking forward to viewing some deer with it. Now I just need a phone adapter so I can share some pics from my scouting trips with you all.

Phoneskope or Novagrade could fit. Happy to lend you my single gripper Novagrade if funds are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever

MuleyFever

Phoneskope or Novagrade could fit. Happy to lend you my single gripper Novagrade if funds are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great offer Robby. I have 2 cell phones due to work (probably replacing one before the hunt) so I am actually thinking I may want a universal mount. I need to search some old threads and see what people have tested out. How do you like the Novagrade?

Cahunter805

Tagging in on this. Can’t wait to see how this hunt unfolds! Congrats again to you and the wife on 2 great UT tags this year.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great offer Robby. I have 2 cell phones due to work (probably replacing one before the hunt) so I am actually thinking I may want a universal mount. I need to search some old threads and see what people have tested out. How do you like the Novagrade?
Novagrade is a univeral. I really like it. It’s heavy duty, and I can switch between different optics and phones fairly easily.