My Henry Mt deer hunt

I was lucky enough to draw one of the few random muzzleloader deer tags for the Henry Mountains this year. Never did I think it would happen. I even had thoughts this year that I should just draw the Book Cliffs tag and go hunting. Boy am I glad I didn't decide to go that route. Growing up in WI I read of the Paunsaugunt and Henry Mountains deer. Cannot believe Ill be hunting the Henry's.

On a side note my wife also drew a LE elk tag. What a year!

I figured there are a few people that would like to follow along on this, basically, once in a life time experience so, I will try to keep this thread going. I am not expecting to have cell reception once I get out there but, I will keep posting here as I can. This is not a live hunt so much as an ongoing hunt story so I hope it does not violate the rules.

My first 2 priorities are a new .45 cal muzzleloader to try and extend my range and an upgrade to my spotting scope so I have the best opportunity to find that "one" deer. My 3rd priority is to find some BH209 powder. I was not planning to muzzleloader hunt this year so I am not prepared. I was focused on archery this year as I was planning to draw an archery elk tag in WY. Luckily, the Utah CC hits came just in time to withdraw that application.

My first trip out there is planned for the weekend of July 4th. This is probably the first year in many that my wife did not have camping plans booked some place. For some reason this year she just said we will wait and see what comes up. Well, something came up. I would have had to make an executive decision if she had made plans. I plan to scout as time allows, for sure again over Labor Day weekend and a few more quick trips. Season opens Sept 29th and closes Oct 7th. I plan to head out the 25th giving me 3 full days of scouting before the opener. Thank goodness I carried over a week of vacation from last year.

So, I hope I can post up some good stuff here and some of you can get some entertainment out of my adventure.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Oh, I almost forgot, anyone know where I can get one of those famous Utah hunting posses to help me corner a 200"er? If not Ill have to do it mostly alone.

In all seriousness if anyone wanted to come along I would be very open to it. On a hunt like this it may be nice to have some support and an extra set of eyes to look over deer. I am very bad at judging mule deer. I think it has to do with growing up hunting whitetails.

KineKilla

WKR
Oh, I almost forgot, anyone know where I can get one of those famous Utah hunting posses to help me corner a 200"er? If not Ill have to do it mostly alone.

In all seriousness if anyone wanted to come along I would be very open to it. On a hunt like this it may be nice to have some support and an extra set of eyes to look over deer. I am very bad at judging mule deer. I think it has to do with growing up hunting whitetails.
What are your hunt dates for that tag?

I've never hunted the Henry's (just like most people) but might be interested in tagging along for the adventure.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
What are your hunt dates for that tag?

I've never hunted the Henry's (just like most people) but might be interested in tagging along for the adventure.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Same as the general muzzy season, Sept 29 to Oct 7.

Hopefully you find some help. Those Utah posses are either family (lots of large extended families from Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) or they are paid for (Mossback sort of started it).

It’s such a rare tag you really should take advantage of it! One thought is the video footage for a true 200” kill is worth something... try considering leveraging that- call Doyle, Tines Up crew, HUSH, or someone just starting Up trying to make it on YouTube etc, and see if they want to video rights for the hunt for putting you on a good buck. I know they have done that on the Antelope island hunt

Go to Cabelas where the score is on the mounts. Studdy

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

You should call Epic Outdoors. $100 membership could be worth many $$$$$ of advice. Those guys know the Henry’s well.

OP
MuleyFever
I ordered a Kowa 773. After reading a bit and getting some feed back it was pointed out that the weather could still be pretty warm and the deer may be in the shade most of the day moving only at first and last light. The 773 will help me look into the shadows and give me as much time as possible at dusk and dawn.

On a side note I would like to point out how awesome this community is. I have had members offer to sell me their muzzleloaders, borrow their muzzleloaders and a few member have offered up powder if I cant get my hands on some BH209. Great group of sportsmen here.

OP
MuleyFever
It’s such a rare tag you really should take advantage of it! One thought is the video footage for a true 200” kill is worth something... try considering leveraging that- call Doyle, Tines Up crew, HUSH, or someone just starting Up trying to make it on YouTube etc, and see if they want to video rights for the hunt for putting you on a good buck. I know they have done that on the Antelope island hunt

Maybe Rokslides very own @Jordan Budd would be interested? A Rokslide original film?

Last edited: