My Henry Mt deer hunt

OP
MuleyFever
So if you read my .45 muzzleloader thread you know I decided to try going with a Knight .45 cal Mountaineer barrel swap since I have a .50 Knight UL. I got the barrel in and it bolted right to my UL stock perfectly. I also ordered a Lehigh breach plug. The breach plug threads in the .45 cal barrel are kinda rough and appear to be threaded a bit shallow compared to my .50. I have to really force the bolt down with the Lehigh plug. It is .05" longer than the stock plug. With the stock plug in I still have to push the bolt down with some force. I am going to just use the stock plug. I hope to get out to shoot it soon but it may be 2 weeks as I have to work next weekend. I am going to try the Powerbelt ELR first just because its the easy button. If they dont shoot I will buy a smooth sizer and start trying some other bullets. One of my co-workers just got some Pittmans and he is shooting them under MOA out to 400 yards in his custom .45. I am also waiting to get some BH209 from a generous Rokslider.0606211928.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
Got my last new big piece of gear, the Kowa 773. I am surprised at the size of this thing for being 77mm. The overall size is smaller than I expected. It still has the girth being 77mm but it is not much longer than the 60mm I have. The wide angle eye piece gives a great view and the resolution at 60x is really good. Looking forward to viewing some deer with it. Now I just need a phone adapter so I can share some pics from my scouting trips with you all.

SDHNTR

WKR
Hopefully you find some help. Those Utah posses are either family (lots of large extended families from Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) or they are paid for (Mossback sort of started it).

It’s such a rare tag you really should take advantage of it! One thought is the video footage for a true 200” kill is worth something... try considering leveraging that- call Doyle, Tines Up crew, HUSH, or someone just starting Up trying to make it on YouTube etc, and see if they want to video rights for the hunt for putting you on a good buck. I know they have done that on the Antelope island hunt
Congrats on the tag! Personally, the above is the absolute last thing I would do! Potentially risk a once in a lifetime tag on the worlds greatest mule deer hunt just so some wannabe famous clowns can up their numbers of fake friends or profit off of your hunt from their legions of sheep? Not a chance! Plus, you would have to tuck your ears inside your flat brim bro hat.

Sure, film the thing if you want, but do it your way, and your way alone, on your terms.

Congrats on the tag! Personally, the above is the absolute last thing I would do! Potentially risk a once in a lifetime tag on the worlds greatest mule deer hunt just so some wannabe famous clowns can up their numbers of fake friends or profit off of your hunt from their legions of sheep? Not a chance! Plus, you would have to tuck your ears inside your flat brim bro hat.

Sure, film the thing if you want, but do it your way, and your way alone, on your terms.

HaHa, I Know that many would never go that route. Just responding to the initial post where the lucky tag holder said they had no help in the Henry's and lived far away to scout, and would potentially go solo.

I know many would have different resources available and probably more time to personally scout, more experience etc.

But to show up solo, without out ever being in the unit, and limited time, the expectation to kill a legit 200" net buck would be unrealistic at best. So if you are fine going Solo DIY and happy with maybe a 175" buck vs looking for other hunters (who wear flat brims, but are actually nice kids) who would want to "help" and might know where a 200"er is, is up to you.

I just hope I draw that tag some day

SDHNTR

WKR
HaHa, I Know that many would never go that route. Just responding to the initial post where the lucky tag holder said they had no help in the Henry's and lived far away to scout, and would potentially go solo.

I know many would have different resources available and probably more time to personally scout, more experience etc.

But to show up solo, without out ever being in the unit, and limited time, the expectation to kill a legit 200" net buck would be unrealistic at best. So if you are fine going Solo DIY and happy with maybe a 175" buck vs looking for other hunters (who wear flat brims, but are actually nice kids) who would want to "help" and might know where a 200"er is, is up to you.

I just hope I draw that tag some day
I get it. Nothing wrong with hiring a guide for that hunt! I'd go that route before I rounded up troops of Social Media attention whores. I'd want somebody invested in the success of MY hunt, not someone more concerned with capturing footage for their own promotional benefits. Just me.

To the OP, I wish you the best and hope you kill a giant.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got my last new big piece of gear, the Kowa 773. I am surprised at the size of this thing for being 77mm. The overall size is smaller than I expected. It still has the girth being 77mm but it is not much longer than the 60mm I have. The wide angle eye piece gives a great view and the resolution at 60x is really good. Looking forward to viewing some deer with it. Now I just need a phone adapter so I can share some pics from my scouting trips with you all.

Phoneskope or Novagrade could fit. Happy to lend you my single gripper Novagrade if funds are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Phoneskope or Novagrade could fit. Happy to lend you my single gripper Novagrade if funds are tight.

Great offer Robby. I have 2 cell phones due to work (probably replacing one before the hunt) so I am actually thinking I may want a universal mount. I need to search some old threads and see what people have tested out. How do you like the Novagrade?

Tagging in on this. Can’t wait to see how this hunt unfolds! Congrats again to you and the wife on 2 great UT tags this year.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great offer Robby. I have 2 cell phones due to work (probably replacing one before the hunt) so I am actually thinking I may want a universal mount. I need to search some old threads and see what people have tested out. How do you like the Novagrade?
Novagrade is a univeral. I really like it. It’s heavy duty, and I can switch between different optics and phones fairly easily.

OP
MuleyFever
I have spent the last couple of weekends shooting my rifle and its been interesting. Last weekend I started with the 285 ELR and 120gn of BH209 by volume. I shot 2 rounds and they were about 4" apart so I lowered it to 110gn and shot 2 more that were about 2" apart. My primers were coming out black. I was able to get some shims from fellow Rokslider to put in my breach plug to try and get a better seal.
0620210736a.jpg

I decided to order some bullets from Pittman. They arrived Thursday and I started working on getting my sizing die dialed in. I got to where I thought I had a good fit and got the bullet half way down and it got stuck. While working that one out I felt something moving on my rifle. Turns out I forgot to tighten my rings all the way, dang it. So I dont know, maybe those ELRs would have shot better. Im glad I got the Pittmans though, better bullet anyway. I adjusted the die once I got that one unstuck and got my size right.

Friday I decided why not just weigh out some charges so I dont have to mess with any measuring at the range. I measured out 84gn by weight. I was curious so I put 120gn in my volume tube and poured it on the sale. It weighed 95gn. That may have had something to do with all the blow back on the primer.

Yesterday morning I set up to shoot with some friends. They are using the Pittman bullets with great results. They have also tested with and without a wad and getting better results without a wad. I was pretty excited to try the Pittmans. First shot was not what I expected. Send shot was the same.
0627211205.jpg

One of the other guys suggested I try a wad so I did. What a relief. This target was from yesterday at 100yds using the 84gn by weight. Today I tested 86gn just to see velocity and I put 2 more in one hole. Velocity was within a few feet with 84gn and 86gn at 2095-2100fps. I was hoping for 2000fps so that is a win. Primers are clean too.

0627211206.jpg

Now I just need to work on my drops out to distance. First scouting trip next weekend.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Back from a quick trip to the Henrys. My goal was not to look for deer on this trip but get eyes on the mountains and drive around so I know what roads get me where and road conditions. Maps and Google Earth give one a good idea of what to expect but it always looks different in person. The mountain faces in this unit are very steep. I always try to get to a new unit and at the very least drive the roads and get eyes on the areas I thought looked good on the maps before I arrive to hunt. The last thing I want to be doing is wasting time on the hunt because the areas I thought would be good either dont look good in person or I cant really get there the way I thought.

Heading in it is pretty cool how this area just pokes up out of the desert between Capitol Reef and Canyonlands.
0703211202_2.jpg

Looking East over Canyonlands.
0704211211_HDR.jpg

Mt Pennell and Mt Hillers.
IMG_20210704_081547087.jpg

The Horn with Capitol Reef in the background.
0704210827.jpg

The dog getting full of tree sap.
0703211537.jpg

Short trip but a good one. Spent most the time looking around Mt Ellen and the Horn. Next trip I plan to get more time on the south end between Mt Hillers and Pennell.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Shot the new 45 barrel again today. My confidence is built. Took a couple shots at 100, 200 ,and 300. The 2 shots at 300 were 1.5” apart. It’s only 2 but if I threw the 3rd 1.5” it’s still a MOA group. Drops matched the ballistic calculator 👍.

Im strongly considering buying a thermal for this hunt. After looking through a couple it’s just amazing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have spent the last couple of weekends shooting my rifle and its been interesting. Last weekend I started with the 285 ELR and 120gn of BH209 by volume. I shot 2 rounds and they were about 4" apart so I lowered it to 110gn and shot 2 more that were about 2" apart. My primers were coming out black. I was able to get some shims from fellow Rokslider to put in my breach plug to try and get a better seal.
View attachment 302351

I decided to order some bullets from Pittman. They arrived Thursday and I started working on getting my sizing die dialed in. I got to where I thought I had a good fit and got the bullet half way down and it got stuck. While working that one out I felt something moving on my rifle. Turns out I forgot to tighten my rings all the way, dang it. So I dont know, maybe those ELRs would have shot better. Im glad I got the Pittmans though, better bullet anyway. I adjusted the die once I got that one unstuck and got my size right.

Friday I decided why not just weigh out some charges so I dont have to mess with any measuring at the range. I measured out 84gn by weight. I was curious so I put 120gn in my volume tube and poured it on the sale. It weighed 95gn. That may have had something to do with all the blow back on the primer.

Yesterday morning I set up to shoot with some friends. They are using the Pittman bullets with great results. They have also tested with and without a wad and getting better results without a wad. I was pretty excited to try the Pittmans. First shot was not what I expected. Send shot was the same.
View attachment 302352

One of the other guys suggested I try a wad so I did. What a relief. This target was from yesterday at 100yds using the 84gn by weight. Today I tested 86gn just to see velocity and I put 2 more in one hole. Velocity was within a few feet with 84gn and 86gn at 2095-2100fps. I was hoping for 2000fps so that is a win. Primers are clean too.

View attachment 302353

Now I just need to work on my drops out to distance. First scouting trip next weekend.

Ahhh, the world of muzzleloaders! Great post

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats and good luck, be looking forward to see the results. Henries were the reason I started getting points in Utah but I’ve decided to get out of that game 😁

OP
MuleyFever
Well, I think I am ready on the muzzleloader side of things. This is the last weekend I plan to be home before the season so I took the time to dial in my ML. From here on out its scouting every weekend.

I went out yesterday and made sure my zero was, well, zeroed. From there I pulled up the balistics app and shot at 200 and 300 to verify the drops, which were spot on. There was a little cross wind yesterday but I felt I was dialed in pretty well. This morning it was calm so I went out for a quick couple of shots to verify. I wanted to take one shot at 200 yards and one shot at 300 yards. Kinda like a moment of truth one shot challange. It went well. Top pic is 200 yards and bottom pic is 300.

I am really happy with this Knight rifle. It was really stressing me out trying to figure out what I was going to shoot for this hunt but putting the .45 Mountaineer barrel into my .50 Ultra-Lite couldnt have worked out better.

Hopefully I will have some deer pics for ya next week 🤞

IMG_20210829_113841759_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210829_113720823.jpg

OP
MuleyFever
Congrats and good luck, be looking forward to see the results. Henries were the reason I started getting points in Utah but I’ve decided to get out of that game 😁

The Henry Mountains were one of the reasons I moved to Utah. Im fortunate to get the tag but the UT system does not give a lot of opportunity for LE tags. I just need to draw my goat tag and I can move again ;)