My Henry Mt deer hunt

OP
MuleyFever
Well my scouting trip this weekend may not happen. Not sure if I can get into the area. There is a large wash I have to cross to get into the west side that may be unpassable from this. This kind of rain makes the roads very hard to drive with the crappy clay/mud. Very easy to sink your rig to the axels.

That is a bummer! Any other areas you can get to and at least scout another area for now?

OP
MuleyFever
That is a bummer! Any other areas you can get to and at least scout another area for now?
They got a lot of water and beyond stuff just being washed out the dirt around here gets really bad when its wet. There are 2 roads that look like they would get me in there that I have never been on off the highway on the east side but it sounds like that side got the worst of it and the highway was closed. The Highway will probably be back open fast but those dirt roads may be washed out or really soft in areas. I will probably head over there anyway to see if we can get in. I may just have to leave the truck further out and take the SXS in. If I was going alone I would make it work but this was supposed to be a camping trip with the wife and dog as well so she wanted to get into the campground. I have 3 more weekends I will be out there before the opener as well so while I want to get in there this weekend its not critical to my plans.

OP
MuleyFever
Sitting in my tent out on the Henry's and looked at my phone. Surprised to see I have cell reception. It's crazy how many deer you see out here when you are looking. I probably saw 50 different bucks today. Nothing real big though. Currently some strong storms with lots of lightning. Hopefully the wash crossings don't get destroyed tonight. They just fixed the road from last weeks flooding. I'll post some pictures when I get home tomorrow.

OP
MuleyFever
I spent these couple of days around the Mt Ellen area. Next weekend I plan to go south to the Mt Pennell area. There are a ton of 2-3 year old bucks. Lots of 3 points too. I think I may have seen more bucks than does.

OP
MuleyFever
Amazing! What a special place to be in and experience. You've got to be having the time of your life.
I was having fun. There are deer about everywhere you look. If anyone ever has the chance to spend some time in there I recommend grabbing a camera and doing it. I can only imagine what it must be like in November with so many bucks.

That buck with the split back forks will be hard to pass up if I see him.

Last edited:

Loco4dux

WKR
Split back fork buck is something else man. Thanks for sharing and best of luck!

OP
MuleyFever
Back from another trip. This one was a little messed up by the weather. This morning the mountains were under some heavy fog. I was able to get some glassing in on a few areas but the rest were not visible. I was down on the soiuth end and its a completely different experience down there. The area all burned a while back and is thick with oak brush. The area is also a lot more spread out. I am getting a little dissapointed in what I have seen so far. Granted I have only been over there a couple of days. That group I found last week is by far the best but it was right by the main campground so I am sure a few guys will be there trying to find them. I plan to be back over there Saturday afternoon if not Saturday morning. The opener is on Wednesday. That gives me 3-4 days of scouting and then the 9 day season. Never know what may pop out I guess. A lot can happen in 60 seconds when you are hunting.

DSC01442.JPGDSC01444.JPGDSC01454.JPGIMG_20210919_075823909.jpgIMG_20210919_075650311.jpgIMG_20210919_072758766.jpg
IMG_20210919_072018878.jpg

mcr-85

WKR
Back from another trip. This one was a little messed up by the weather. This morning the mountains were under some heavy fog. I was able to get some glassing in on a few areas but the rest were not visible. I was down on the soiuth end and its a completely different experience down there. The area all burned a while back and is thick with oak brush. The area is also a lot more spread out. I am getting a little dissapointed in what I have seen so far. Granted I have only been over there a couple of days. That group I found last week is by far the best but it was right by the main campground so I am sure a few guys will be there trying to find them. I plan to be back over there Saturday afternoon if not Saturday morning. The opener is on Wednesday. That gives me 3-4 days of scouting and then the 9 day season. Never know what may pop out I guess. A lot can happen in 60 seconds when you are hunting.

Good luck. I hope you find a buck that gets you excited and you hammer him.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk