My Henry Mt deer hunt

Well…. Opening day in 12+- 1/2 hours congratulations on the tag and good luck I’ll be waiting for some photos! Good luck make memories and enjoy wish I could tag along and just see the country

OP
MuleyFever
Opening morning was, interesting. It started raining some time after midnight. A bit into it I remember I haven’t sealed up the Redcliff in a while. About the time a drip or two start making there way in the sky opens up and dumps. It’s about 4am now. It rained hard. Flash flooding hard. I start moving stuff to keep it dry. I had a tarp in the tent so that helped. The water started running in under the tent a bit so I’m digging a trench around the inside perimeter. The wind picks up and I’m thinking if this crap dirt gets saturated my tent stakes are coming up. It lets up a minute so I run out and put some big rocks on the corner stakes and grab my rain gear from the SXS, just in case. About 5am it stops. I planned to go to the north end which is about 1.5 hours from where I’m at but I decide with the roads now mud and some wash outs possible I won’t make it in time. I figure I’ll hunt this end today and I try to lay down and get a little sleep. The sound of the water running down the newly created stream past my tent was soothing.

So this morning I’m glassing and moving when I catch 2 deer up just under the ridge line. One is a good 4x4 like many I am seeing. Not big. The other is behind a dead pine but I can’t really see his head gear. Finally he stepped out and he was a good buck. Heavy with a split fork on one side. If they would bed I could make a move to get a better look. They looked nervous though. Sure enough 2 guys come over the top. Then 2 more about 100 yards to the left. The deer disappeared from my view but I could see both guys readying their guns. Someone shot. I assume the buck is dead.

Also, I’ve eaten 3 Mountain House now since the last time I pooped. Should I be worried? I’m a little worried.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I’ve eaten 3 Mountain House now since the last time I pooped. Should I be worried? I’m a little worried.
Bwahhahhhaaah. That should be a thread title right there.

That stuff packs down nicely once eaten but can't vouch for your personal gut performance. But make sure you drink plenty of water and have some extra rolls of TP just in case the opposite problem occurs!

Sounds like a new buck showed up and even if he's dead, shows that we don't see them all. There's more where he came from!

OP
MuleyFever
This morning I headed over to where I scouted 2 weeks ago. It was about 1.5 hours on the SXS. I got over to the area and a guy from Mossback stopped and chatted with me a bit. His hunter was the guy that shot at that buck yesterday. He told me the hunter missed 2 times. He was coming from where I was going. In hind sight he may have been trying to delay me. We parted ways and I get to the ridge. Every buck in my pics from 2 weeks ago was out on various parts of the mountain.

Seeing all the bodies I pull out the Kowa and immediately spot the buck with double split back forks. I will happily shoot this buck given the chance. I quickly grab my gear and head out as they feed away from my location. I duck to the other side of the ridge and try to close the distance. I get to where I think would be a good spot and peak over. The group is at 212 yards and moving. I dial and get set up as fast as I can, I pull up the binos again to locate the buck. Bucks going everywhere. All I see is a dance of antlers and I can’t make out which points belong to which bucks. By the time I locate him again he is in line and walking away from me. They dip into some trees and disappear. Then one smaller buck pops back out feeding uphill. I range him at 350 and set up for a shot. He is the only buck that shows himself and heads back down with the rest. So close. If I had climbed a little higher before coming over I may have had a quartering away shot as they left. I thought about keeping after them but there were to many does close by and a few other bucks. I figure it’s better to leave and not push them off the mountain. Best part is I never saw another hunter in the area. I expect the outfitter to be back though.

I’m fueling up the SXS and cans now in Hanksville and relocating to be closer to where the bucks are. I plan to sit that ridge tonight and see if they come back up out of the trees. Cell service is worse on this end so I’ll report back when I can. It’s still only day 2 of 9.