My ideal riflescope... is it out there?

Fatcamp

WKR
S&B looks nice but every piece of glass I own barely adds up to $2000. :)

Eventually someone will listen. I spoke with a major glass manufacturer about this last year while they were showing off their stuff. Deaf ears for sure. I have absolutely no use for a massive turreted scope, but apparently that's what the market wants.

If we were offered what we are talking about I would change both of our primary rifles immediately, and our two backups in short order.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
S&B looks nice but every piece of glass I own barely adds up to $2000. :)

Eventually someone will listen. I spoke with a major glass manufacturer about this last year while they were showing off their stuff. Deaf ears for sure. I have absolutely no use for a massive turreted scope, but apparently that's what the market wants.

If we were offered what we are talking about I would change both of our primary rifles immediately, and our two backups in short order.
Couldn’t agree more. Man the Tract Toric comes close too, but again, a bit too heavy. I’d consider the Vortex I suppose, but it too looks like it’s been discontinued in the G4 reticle (which is still far from ideal).

If only Leupold could get their act together... the specs on their VX3i are absolutely perfect, if only it was reliable. Come on Leupold, stop the denial and figure it out!

Couldn’t agree more. Man the Tract Toric comes close too, but again, a bit too heavy. I’d consider the Vortex I suppose, but it too looks like it’s been discontinued in the G4 reticle (which is still far from ideal).

If only Leupold could get their act together... the specs on their VX3i are absolutely perfect, if only it was reliable. Come on Leupold, stop the denial and figure it out!

I would bet that Leupold is about the same reliability wise as the rest of the lightweight hunting scopes. They just got exposed more than others because they sold way more people on the idea of having a "lightweight scope that dials".

204guy

WKR
Yeah Leupold made a lot of $ selling cds scopes. I'd bet in the long run it will and has cost them more than anyone could imagine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah Leupold made a lot of $ selling cds scopes. I'd bet in the long run it will and has cost them more than anyone could imagine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agreed. The OP's suggestion of Leupold "stopping the denial" got me thinking about what a mess it would be for them to come out and admit the CDS system on their VX series is not reliable. Then what? How do they rectify the situation with the huge # of scopes out there that dont perform as advertised? There isn't a simple design fix unless they want to build beefier (heavier) internals in all of the CDS scopes on warranty.

They could come out with a new vx series with beefier internals and smaller form factor than the MK series but they would probably cost more to manufacture and weigh more. Have fun explaining why the new series with inferior specs on paper costs the same as the previous VX series.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed. The OP's suggestion of Leupold "stopping the denial" got me thinking about what a mess it would be for them to come out and admit the CDS system on their VX series is not reliable. Then what? How do they rectify the situation with the huge # of scopes out there that dont perform as advertised? There isn't a simple design fix unless they want to build beefier (heavier) internals in all of the CDS scopes on warranty.

They could come out with a new vx series with beefier internals and smaller form factor than the MK series but they would probably cost more to manufacture and weigh more. Have fun explaining why the new series with inferior specs on paper costs the same as the previous VX series.

They don’t have to admit fault publicly, just make a Vx4 line. It’s a different option for those willing to pay a bit more for a more robust system built for more regular dialing $500-700. The VX3 is also so light (12.6 oz for the 3-10x40) that if it cost a couple ounces to make it tougher, there’s room to spare and still be lighter than the competition. Bridge the gap in between VX3 and the HD line. Marketed right, I think it would sell.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
And looky here! Is this what we are looking for? Just found this this scope as part of my ongoing search... anybody know anything about GPO? They advertise it as dial friendly. Specs are spot on! Price is right. I am hesitant going with the new kid on the block, should I be? Think they’ll be around to cover the warranty?

I’m intrigued but cautious.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
And looky here! Is this what we are looking for? Just found this this scope as part of my ongoing search... anybody know anything about GPO? They advertise it as dial friendly. Specs are spot on! Price is right. I am hesitant going with the new kid on the block, should I be? Think they’ll be around to cover the warranty?

I think at that price, give it a shot and report back. Let us know how it tracks. Not much out there on them yet.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Call or email Michael Jensen. He used to work for both Zeiss and Swaro and started this company. I think they partnered with Hornady on their turrets and will send you factory ammo turrets with the scope.

I’d ask for field reports of dialing and tracking.

[email protected]

His cell is 804-414-5022

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Call or email Michael Jensen. He used to work for both Zeiss and Swaro and started this company. I think they partnered with Hornady on their turrets and will send you factory ammo turrets with the scope.

I’d ask for field reports of dialing and tracking.

[email protected]

His cell is 804-414-5022
I may do that, but before I ask a company man, first I’m going to look for some independent reviews.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Did you end up purchasing a Gpo scope? Any opinion on their products?
I did. A Passion 3X 4-12. Cheap feeling. Mushy turrets. Lousy eye box and relief, tunneled bad. Sold it promptly. Terrible marketing too, which I fell for and feel ashamed of. There's nothing German about that scope. Made in the Philippines. Very deceiving.

we have a few scopes and manufacturers that seem to dance around all this, close but no cigar, and a bunch of us wanting very similar options

currently what's getting me closest to almost all the same goals is Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with a Kenton speed dial turret, they seem to have as good a rep as any for zero hold and tracking for anything under 1 lb, the 3-9 magnification range seems greater than leupolds 3-9, feels more like a 3.5-10 Leupold with lower bottom end and much better glass fyi, Leupold has always over rounded on it's mag ranges on the 1" tub standards we always loved, the glass is instantly noticeably better than the leupolds, very nice glass, all the adjustments seem a level above leupolds (magnification and turrets), lift and lock no tools required turret setting is nice above Leupold also, and that illuminated green dot reticle I won't give up now for hunting, the mil-dot option would work great if I wanted a non-dialling option for holds or even back up to dialling and likely not be too intrusive when on auto-pilot in hunting situation as that illuminated dot will take over, I went standard duplex so I wouldn't try to learn too many systems and completely focus on that illuminated dot as I know that illuminated dot will be the main focal point when shtf and it'll just be matter of on target referencing from there to close the deal should it go sideways, it's been very intuitive and fast when it all goes right too, a joy to hunt with

if they could make that scope with a cds style elevation turret and it could pass 50% level testing from Form on the impact/tracking or at least beat almost all the other sub 1 lb options, then it could be perfect ;) I'd ask for 1/3 moa per click elevation if I had any say in it....leave the windage at 1/4

Didn't know about this option.

Does Kenton replace the entire turret? Are they repeatable? Or are they 100% based on the repeatability of the underlying turret?

If they are reliable. That would open up a whole world of 1" scopes. Models from Trijicon and Nikon both come to mind.
their speed dial turrets have been great, been using them since you could still buy a Leupold 3-9x33 ultra lite and I'd have it sent off to custom shop for standard 7/8" target knob and then get the Kenton speed dial turret...deadly set up, that has to be at least 15 years ago now lol but I'm still using them today, currently on Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint green dot duplex

nikoavg

FNG
I have switched to Athlon. Not sure if they have anything you like. I am new and just need posts, lol

we have a few scopes and manufacturers that seem to dance around all this, close but no cigar, and a bunch of us wanting very similar options

currently what's getting me closest to almost all the same goals is Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with a Kenton speed dial turret, they seem to have as good a rep as any for zero hold and tracking for anything under 1 lb, the 3-9 magnification range seems greater than leupolds 3-9, feels more like a 3.5-10 Leupold with lower bottom end and much better glass fyi, Leupold has always over rounded on it's mag ranges on the 1" tub standards we always loved, the glass is instantly noticeably better than the leupolds, very nice glass, all the adjustments seem a level above leupolds (magnification and turrets), lift and lock no tools required turret setting is nice above Leupold also, and that illuminated green dot reticle I won't give up now for hunting, the mil-dot option would work great if I wanted a non-dialling option for holds or even back up to dialling and likely not be too intrusive when on auto-pilot in hunting situation as that illuminated dot will take over, I went standard duplex so I wouldn't try to learn too many systems and completely focus on that illuminated dot as I know that illuminated dot will be the main focal point when shtf and it'll just be matter of on target referencing from there to close the deal should it go sideways, it's been very intuitive and fast when it all goes right too, a joy to hunt with

if they could make that scope with a cds style elevation turret and it could pass 50% level testing from Form on the impact/tracking or at least beat almost all the other sub 1 lb options, then it could be perfect ;) I'd ask for 1/3 moa per click elevation if I had any say in it....leave the windage at 1/4
Can you get a turret in just MOA or MILS?