Cost is not an issue. Does someone know of a scope that has:
1” tube
40-44 mm objective
3 or 4 to 12-14x max magnification
16-17 oz max
14” long max
Second focal plane
Quality glass with simple duplex reticle
Reliable RTZ and tracking, limited dialing to maybe 500-600 at most.

The Meopta Meopro 4.5-14 x44 is the closest I can find but it’s still a bit bigger and heavier than perfect. Please also spare me the “accept a few more ounces and get a 30mm Nightforce/SWFA/etc”. I’m well aware of the 30 mil options and it’s not what I want going on this particular rifle. Thanks.

Last edited:

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Swaro z3 and z5 series come pretty close to all these specs. Z3 in the 12 x is a 50mm but under the weight and lenght requirement. Z5 is 14.3 inches but under the weight requirement and objective size but its an 18x. Glass is great and I have and a tracking issue with either of my z5s. Dialing distance shouldn't be an issue with most calibers. You will get 13.5 MOA out of either turret once the zero stop is set.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44
Thanks Doug. I have that exact scope on another rifle. It’s close, but not perfect. More mag than I need, and a bit bigger physically, than I want. Jury is still out on the reliability of dialing.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Some of the older Zeiss conquests would fit the bill, they don’t make them anymore but the Hd5 I think had a model to almost those exact specifications, and then even older conquests that were built in Germany back when the conquest series was their flagship. Probably can find the hd5 new out there somewhere. The older conquests would have to be used somewhere.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski built a 3-12x50 Z4i in europe for a number of years that fits into your specs. Might be hard to track one down in the states but we put a man on the moon in the 60s so its not impossible.

stevevan

WKR
I've got 5 of the Swarovski scope that that Doug recommends. Mine are all BT's and not a problem. Mine are used strictly on Hunting rifles which that scopes use is meant. Evidently some individuals have had issues with the Swarovski scope they have had. I'm not one of those. My confidence in them is based on personal experience and the fact that Doug would give the recommendation. Given Doug's reputation and experience if it wasn't a good scope he wouldn't say so. I have a Meopta Meopro 4.5-14 HTR too that I really think is top notch and better than all its competition in its price range and for that matter better than quite a few that are costlier.

ChrisAU

WKR
Swarovski built a 3-12x50 Z4i in europe for a number of years that fits into your specs. Might be hard to track one down in the states but we put a man on the moon in the 60s so its not impossible.

The 2.4-12x50 Z5 is close, but I imagine the 50mm objective is too big for what OP seeks. I also wouldn't say they have the best reputation for RTZ/reliability.

Dualsight

FNG
Going through your list, the first one I thought of is the Vortex HD LH 3-15x42, but doesn’t come with a simple duplex, and is over on magnification. RTZ/reliability?????

The second one coming to mind is the Tract Toric UHD 2-10x42 T-Plex, but is above the weight maximum (18.6 oz.).

I had comparable desires on scopes as well. I ended up lowering the overall weight by changing the steel scope rings and base to a highly rated alloy integral scope mount.

prm

WKR
The SWFA Ultralight ticks off a few boxes, though leaves a few open.

Not a 40-44mm obj
Not a lot of eye relief (though I found it fine on a 6.5 Creedmoor)
Only 10x

I would like something very similar to your requirements. Unfortunately I’m not aware of anything that meets all of your requirements, or mine for that matter. My comments added for discussions/arguments sake. I will say I do like the Vortex HD LH 1.5-8 so far. But it doesn’t hit all the requirements either.
1” tube (30mm is fine as long as it meets weight)
40-44 mm objective (36-38mm is fine with good glass/low light capability)
3 or 4 to 12-14x max magnification (I could live with 9-10x max)
16-17 oz max (I would want the low end of this, or even 14-15)
14” long max (Agree, prefer 12-13)
Second focal plane (1st if windage reference on reticle, otherwise 2nd)
Quality glass with simple duplex reticle (I’d like ~1.5mil of windage references and then bold reference bars for dark timber use).
Reliable RTZ and tracking, limited dialing to maybe 500-600 at most. (Agree)
Capped windage
Relatively low profile El knob.
Fast focus eye piece

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I agree with most of what you said too. I’m not going to go off on a rant as I’ve done before, but there is obviously a market for a light and compact scope that is capable of some moderate range and limited dialing. I just don’t think optics companies are listening. Every time a thread like this pops up, lots of people pile on saying they are looking for the same thing, yet we don’t have it! Go figure.

That SWFA ultralight is almost there. Unfortunately, it might be too much of a good thing and is TOO compact in my book. If it was 40 or 42 mm, I’d like it. If it also had 12x top end mag, I’d LOVE it.

Ultimately, the VX3i 3.5-10x40 would be just about perfect (12x would make it perfect imo), if only the damn thing worked as designed!

There’s a marketable niche here that apparently remains unfilled at the moment. Hopefully one day soon...

tdot

WKR
I thought my Z3 filled this role til the turret crapped out on me after resetting the zero. I wasnt even dialing it. Super bummed, cuz it was pretty sweet til then.

I'll throw in another vote for a scope similar to the OP's wants.

I think it would alot easier to achieve if the scope companies limited the amount of adjustment. I dont need 80moa. 40 total would be awesome. 10moa rail will still see the zero not maxed at bottom and give me roughly 30moa of adjustment which is way beyond what I will hunt with most of my rifles.

Problem seems to be that 1000+ yards sells guns and scopes. So optimizing a scope for more common max hunting ranges does not seem to be on their radar.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Tdot, your last point may be spot on. That’s unfortunate. But I do think there’s enough of us maybe more “traditional” or conservative hunters that have no interest in 1000 yard shots. We just want to be better at a 400 yd shot, when necessary. And to accomplish that we are not willing to weigh our weapons down with something designed to far exceed our needs. Also, after 30-40 years of using standard crosshairs, the mental jump required to get comfortable with an moa or milrad (don’t even know what that is, nor care) is just too much! We want simple, lightweight and reliable. I wish that weren’t too much to ask!

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you want to dial vs. Using a BDC reticle? I second the Vortex 3-15x43 LH

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
On that Meopta you mentioned in your original post... Does it have a dialing system or zero set? Or do you just mark your zero and dial from there?